Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mt. Man put these details up on the PP forum. Some 2019's Ridgelines part of this and stop sales are mentioned. Post #5

·
Registered
2,084 Posts

·
Registered
‘21 White, BE
95 Posts
Looks like I traded my’19 just in time.

And, purchased my ‘21 before the current “dilemma“

·
Registered
4 Posts
DETROIT (AP) — Honda is recalling more than 628,000 vehicles in the U.S. to replace fuel pumps that can fail, causing the engines to stall.
The recall covers much of the Honda and Acura model lineup from the 2018 to 2020 model years including the CR-V small SUV, the company's top-selling U.S. vehicle.
The company says the impeller, which is the rotating part of the pump, could be defective. Honda says it has no reports of crashes or injuries.
Owners will be notified by mail in late May and dealers will replace the fuel pumps for free.
In addition to the 2018 and 2019 CR-V, the recall covers the 2019 and 2020 Accord, the 2019 Civic Coupe, Sedan and Type R, the 2019 and 2020 Civic Hatchback, the 2019 Fit, the 2019 HR-V, the 2019 and 2020 Insight, and the 2019 Odyssey, Passport, Pilot and Ridgeline. Acura models include the 2019 ILX and the 2019 and 2020 MDX, RDX and TLX.
Owners of these models can determine if their vehicles are involved by keying in their vehicle identification number at www.recalls.acura.com or www.recalls.honda.com.

·
Super Moderator
6,089 Posts
It is never a good thing when you (Honda) are a lead story on the national news. At least the fuel tank does not need to be drained or removed.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
As I've said before .... I'd much rather get a recall than not get a recall, if ya know what I mean ;)

Reactions: longboat

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
305 Posts
Interesting... Wonder what changed from the 2017 to the ones with the recall. Glad they are taking care of it for folks though.

·
Administrator
18,548 Posts
From the Part 573 Safety Recall Report :

The recall population was determined based on manufacturing records and supplier part production records. The manufacturing range reflects all possible vehicles that could potentially experience the problem. Vehicles being recalled are equipped with fuel pump modules containing impellers produced during specific periods under specific circumstances (lower density impellers exposed to production solvent drying for longer periods of time). Similar vehicles not included in the recall are equipped with fuel pump modules that were not subject to the above conditions. The number of affected units is 11,937. Production Dates : OCT 31, 2018 - AUG 21, 2019

Here's the original timeline:

February – May 2019
Honda received the first report of fuel pump module failure from the Indian market and an investigation was launched. After supplier analysis of failed parts returned from the field, it was confirmed that impeller swelling resulted in fuel pump module failure.

June – October 2019 The investigation was elevated to the global Honda quality group for further handling. Honda hypothesized the impeller swelling was related to part toughness and investigated impeller density and clearance between the impeller and fuel pump wall. Re-creation testing confirmed the primary contributor to impeller swelling was the development of surface cracks on low density impellers exposed to production solvent drying for longer periods of time.

March 2020
Review of warranty data confirmed that vehicles equipped with fuel pump modules in transit for a longer period prior to vehicle assembly exhibited increased failure rates.

April 2020
Honda investigated the scope of vehicles installed with suspect fuel pump modules containing lower density impellers exposed to production solvent drying for longer periods of time.

Basically, the longer the fuel pumps sat around after being manufactured and before they were installed in fuel tanks and submerged in fuel, the greater the risk of failure. The vehicles being recalled are those with fuel pumps that sat around "too long".

This latest recall expansion includes 11,937 Ridgelines manufactured from 10/18 to 08/19. Not all 2019 Ridgeline manufactured during those ten months will be recalled - only the ones with fuel pumps that sat around too longer.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
.... Ridgelines manufactured from 10/18 to 08/19.....only the ones with fuel pumps that sat around too longer [sic].
Well, my DOM is 10/2018, guess we'll just have to wait and see if my VIN is one deemed to have an FP that "sat around too long".

Thanks for that additional background @zroger73, interesting and informative as always (y)

Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
18,548 Posts
FWIW, the affected VINs should already be loaded into the iN at this point, so a quick call to your dealer can determine if yours will be recalled. Notifications are still a ways off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same recall I had on my 2018 Toyota Sienna. These faulty fuel pumps must be installed in vehicles across the industry.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
What needs to come apart? Where is it located?
FP R&R is accessed through a removable panel in the floorboard under the rear seat bottom.

FWIW, the affected VINs should already be loaded into the iN at this point, so a quick call to your dealer can determine if yours will be recalled. Notifications are still a ways off.
Personally I'm OK chillin' 'till I see something on the Honda website VIN-specific recall lookup (I've long had that bookmarked with my VIN pre-entered), IIRC that's usually a bit in advance of mailed notice(?); then I'll call the dealer to ask about scheduling the fix, with or without a mailed notice.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts