Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I picked up this bad boy in Feb. Check out the paint. You can bet I am disappointed. I ve held off posting this as I was working with my dealership and Honda Canada to get this issue resolved. The dealership was able to push for a FULL repaint of this vehicle under warranty, but only when I did all the leg work and went to their preferred body shop, and got a copy of the estimate. The paint is mottled on every panel, except for the door handles and mirrors. lol. But to me a full repaint is not ideal or is it a satisfactory resolution or is it remotely fair for a new vehicle owner. I don't want a new truck to be dismantled, painted with non factory paint, and be pieced back together, that might solve the paint issue, but I will probably end up with loose trim pieces/ weather strips and poor body alignment, poor resale, and not to mention if the new paint will hold up. I requested that I be compensated with accessories...and was refused.

So if you have a lunar silver metallic. Check your paint. And if you are getting one. Check your paint. Don't end up like me. Honda quality control is non existent. I hate to say it, I am sad that I own this truck and regret this purchase immensely. I ve owned 3 honda vehicles and 2 honda motorcylces.

Car Vehicle Automotive design Sport utility vehicle Automotive tire
Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Automotive lighting Bumper
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Mini SUV

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,765 Posts
Well, I picked up this bad boy in Feb. Check out the paint. You can bet I am disappointed. I ve held off posting this as I was working with my dealership and Honda Canada to get this issue resolved. The dealership was able to push for a FULL repaint of this vehicle under warranty, but only when I did all the leg work and went to their preferred body shop, and got a copy of the estimate. The paint is mottled on every panel, except for the door handles and mirrors. lol. But to me a full repaint is not ideal or is it a satisfactory resolution or is it remotely fair for a new vehicle owner. I don't want a new truck to be dismantled, painted with non factory paint, and be pieced back together, that might solve the paint issue, but I will probably end up with loose trim pieces/ weather strips and poor body alignment, poor resale, and not to mention if the new paint will hold up. I requested that I be compensated with accessories...and was refused.

So if you have a lunar silver metallic. Check your paint. And if you are getting one. Check your paint. Don't end up like me. Honda quality control is non existent. I hate to say it, I am sad that I own this truck and regret this purchase immensely. I ve owned 3 honda vehicles and 2 honda motorcylces.

View attachment 393840 View attachment 393841 View attachment 393842 View attachment 393843
I am not going to question or doubt your issue, but could you zoom in or circle what you are stating is the issue

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, this is actually metallic. I wasnt able to spot it during delivery under the lighting and how it was parked. next to another vehicle.

carsmark
I am not going to question or doubt your issue, but could you zoom in or circle what you are stating is the issue
No need to I dont think... the issue is quite evident without circling it in the pictures.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I took a GTI to the shop to get a new wheels mounted. They dented a fender in the process. Was I pissed? Sure. They didn't even admit they dented it "after viewing the shop camera" but they still took care of it. I could give zero F's if they admitted it or not. The restitution was the only admission I cared about. It had still been dented, but why mull over it forever? Why do this to yourself? Giving me a new wheel and fixing the dent isn't comparable to the loss that occurred. No, they didn't give me a new wheel, I didn't ask. I didn't expect them to do anything more that make an equitable restitution.

I get being disappointed, if they are going to cover it and repaint the truck it'll probably be better looking than a factory assembly line paint job. I'm sure they'll get a reputable shop, not a fly-by-night conman with a can of spray paint. If they've done business with a preferred provider I suppose they are satisfied with there work. It's going to be a custom paint job, don't lament the loss of the factory paint, that paint on the truck was defective. It's a win.

They are offering restitution at the best of their ability, it not "being ideal" to you is something you're going to have to accept. What more can they do? I can't agree with "making it up in accessories" that's completely unrealistic, ask for a discounted price at dealer cost.

You're speculating on the end result of the job before it's even been performed. Get it done and move on. Be happy they recognized the issue and didn't completely blow you off. Give them the opportunity to take corrective action and improve the appearance. It will always "have happened" but accept it, overcome it and move on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
. . . I get being disappointed, if they are going to cover it and repaint the truck it'll probably be better looking than a factory assembly line paint job. I'm sure they'll get a reputable shop, not a fly-by-night conman with a can of spray paint. If they've done business with a preferred provider I suppose they are satisfied with there work. It's going to be a custom paint job, don't lament the loss of the factory paint, that paint on the truck was defective. It's a win.
. . . .
You're speculating on the end result of the job before it's even been performed. Get it done and move on. Be happy they recognized the issue and didn't completely blow you off. Give them the opportunity to take corrective action and improve the appearance. . . . .
Massivec, I agree with anglosaxon. Bear with me.

Years ago my wife's car was rear-ended. It was a fairly new car, and like you, even before the work was done, I could imagine all the potential issues we were facing, including, of course, my concern that the color wouldn't match and that it would be obvious the car had been repainted. I was wrong. The work was flawless. I could not have been more impressed. In short, people who do this work for a living know what's expected, and they have means and equipment available to do exceptional work. Color-matching simply isn't a problem. It and clear-coating are state of the art. I'd be willing to bet you're going to be delighted with the result. Really.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Massivec, I agree with anglosaxon. Bear with me.

Years ago my wife's car was rear-ended. It was a fairly new car, and like you, even before the work was done, I could imagine all the potential issues we were facing, including, of course, my concern that the color wouldn't match and that it would be obvious the car had been repainted. I was wrong. The work was flawless. I could not have been more impressed. In short, people who do this work for a living know what's expected, and they have means and equipment available to do exceptional work. Color-matching simply isn't a problem. It and clear-coating are state of the art. I'd be willing to bet you're going to be delighted with the result. Really.
Thanks, I'm not trying to be an asshole about the issue, but the only way he's going to get some satisfaction is to pursue the solution to fix it. I'm amazed the dealership recognized it.

Lot of body shop people take exceptional pride in their work. Years of experience and skill will likely yield paint job that looks better than most and likely hold up extremely well.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,331 Posts
Not sure how things are nowadays, but 15-20 years ago, IME, the paint job from a body shop was much better than factory paint.

I suspect automakers put a pretty thin coat on the vehicle. This may be particularly true of Honda, as they are striving to be more environmentally green. Auto mfrs do have some high-tech facilities for efficiently applying paint, but i don't believe it would be difficult for a good body shop to provide a higher-quality paint job.

·
Administrator
23,068 Posts
You think that's bad? You should have seen the new white HR-V I saw in a showroom in the DFW area last month. The hood and fenders were almost matte. I can't fathom the vehicle leaving the factory like with such dull paint - surely it was damaged in transit and repainted (poorly) along the way.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can most certainly appreciate everyone's thoughts on the matter. But I cant work myself up for a repaint. Imagine you spending 47k on a vehicle and it needs a full respray. I m sure you would be so accepting. :sneaky:.

Honda paint is just atrocious. I ve been keeping an eye out for issues I am experiencing and is able to find it on other honda vehicles... mainly the newer gen oddessy in forest mist green where one panel is always worst then the rest. Near the rear of the vehicle on the quarter panel.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
594 Posts
Wow, that's really bad! If you're like me and drive your vehicles until the wheels fall off, I'd Insist on a buy-back. A re-paint will look awesome now, but long-term durability is a gamble.

Last year there was a pearl white Cadillac Escalade at the new car show. Had the same horrible blotchy paint. Was surprised they used it in their display.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Seems like that color is trouble prone. I saw another post where the front fenders were nearly a full shade darker.
Seems they aren't painted at once by the same sprayers, i.e. fenders in one department last month, cab sprayed in a different building a few days ago, etc. That process begs for screw ups.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I doubt I will get a replacement. Seriously. I feel robbed and I m quite disgusted by how I am being treated. If you guys have a recourse let me know. I m all ears... and how would I peruse legitimate litigation?

·
Administrator
23,068 Posts
The harsh reality is that I don't see where you have any legal recourse for a cosmetic issue, but I'm not familiar with Canadian consumer laws.

Honda agreed to repaint the vehicle and chances are it will look better than new.

I see you have the following options:

1. Live with it as-is.
2. Trade/sell it as-is.
3. Have it repainted and keep it.
4. Have it repainted and trade/sell it.

If you complain enough to Honda Canada, they may send you a gift card worth a couple hundred dollars - if you're lucky.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
... and how would I peruse [sic] legitimate litigation?
Easy … call a legitimate lawyer.

And please do let us know what they say.

(I can hardly wait)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was looking at your photos and the right front fender looks kinda like my 2018 Lunar Silver RTLE, which is good, but your. right rear fender looks blotchy, but can you please explain if it is a blotchy gloss top coat or blotchy metallic in the paint itself. Would this unevenness or blotchy look be more recognizable in daylight without a flash? If it is metallic, they may have had a partially clogged spray nozzle...just guessing.

Just went out and checked my truck and it looks pretty even all the way around. Of course it is a cloudy day right now which tends to make silver look good. Something I have noticed of late with all metallic paints, especially my wife's RAV4 seem to change color depending on the kind of available light. Upon close inspection while waxing her car I noticed some varying density of metallic in the paint, but it disappears when you step away from the car. My Lunar Silver becomes a medium gray in some light, which I don't care for. Her car which is Pyrite Mica, goes from a kind of metallic brown to more of a dark khaki green in certain light.

Ah, for the days when car makers painted cars with non-metallic paint. Fire engine red is my favorite.

Good luck with your dealer. I can offer no meaningful suggestions that might help, except to keep calling them and Honda Canada.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Easy … call a legitimate lawyer.

And please do let us know what they say.

(I can hardly wait)
He has a option already. The dealership will repaint it. The warranty covers it. A lawyer is simply going to add expense and prolong the issue. I doubt a good lawyer will even take the issue.

I just don't even get the point of complaining about and not taking the offer of a repaint which would likely be 10 times better and wildly speculate on the outcome.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.