Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wonder if there is anyone out there monitoring TFT when the overheat msg displayed????🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
3 Posts
First got it and loved it. Especially the trunk space. I have the RTL AWD . Problem, 6 months after getting it, pulled my travel trailer on a 2 hour trip to camp. On the way back, transmission over heated. Pulled over . Smelled it burning. Took it in and they said everything was ok. 7 months later, pulled it on a 4 hour trip to Gettysburg, and over heated twice. The trailer is 3050lbs. Well under the 5000 it can pull. Taking it in Monday if it makes it back. Half tempted to let it blow up . Should of gotten the Tundra and spent the extra $8K. Very disappointed in the design and apparently, they say they have t had issues with this problem. I’ve seen many on this forum and other about this problem. I have t seen any aftermarket bigger transmission coolers either.
did you push the button on the shift stick?

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a difference between towing a 3500lbs travel trailer and a 3500lbs load of bricks on a low trailer. I used to have a 2012 Tacoma and I quickly traded it in for an F150 towing a similar weighted 25’ “Ultra Light” travel trailer. The travel trailers are giant sails coupled with the fact that a factory weighed “3500lbs” travel trailer is no such thing when there is propane, battery, 200lbs of the wife’s clothing, pots and pans, etc., on board.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Couple of random comments:

There was a post early in the thread that questioned whether the tow rating was verified in the hills or on flat ground. I believe the G2 is rated by Honda by using the SAE J2807 specification which requires a long duration grade climb with the AC running full blast. Can't overheat or lose some percentage of speed for that test.

Also, a post indicated that it was attempted to let the engine speed stay low. This is actually contrary to what should probably be done: let it rev its guts out. The engine won't mind and the trans will be happier.

As for the CR vs. C&D 0-60 times...there was an article in either C&D, MT, or R&T recently that explained they do a rolling start for 0-60 times. It's possible that CR does a true 0-60 start.

Within limits, I have found my 2017 RL to be a much more competent tow vehicle than I expected. Trailer characteristics and terrain certainly plays a key part.

I have no idea why nor am I questioning that some have overheated their transmissions when towing. Hopefully no permanent damage was done and I would too probably want to move on if it happened to me. It would certainly shake confidence in the vehicle.

Steve

·
Administrator
15,214 Posts
As for the CR vs. C&D 0-60 times...there was an article in either C&D, MT, or R&T recently that explained they do a rolling start for 0-60 times. It's possible that CR does a true 0-60 start.
C&D does 0-60 and 5-60 (rolling start) tests and publishes both numbers. For the 2017 Ridgeline Black Edition they tested, those times were 6.6 and 6.9, respectively.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would guess 90% of it comes down to airflow. TFL also overheated the trans during low-speed rock-crawling, not towing anything. I'd bet that same 6AT would happily pull a 5000lb trailer up a mountain at 60mph.

Airflow = cooling = happy transmission.

If you have no airflow and you are stressing the trans, you need a good fan to pull air through the cooler. When Honda was testing the towing on the G2, they were likely moving all the time. Either they overlooked the need for cooling at slow speeds, or they nixed extra cooling due to cost, figuring very few would stress the trans at low speeds.

On a typical BoF truck, you have a longitudinal trans that gets plenty of cooling around it from airflow as well as trans cooler (if equipped). In the Honda, the transmission is basically tucked in closely to the engine in a transverse configuration, in tight quarters with little room for ambient airflow and cooling.
Seems like airflow would be good around/over/under the Rigi’s 6AT. It’s off to the side of the motor, not behind the motor, open to airflow both top and bottom and to top it off, there is a powerful fan blowing air across it.🤷‍♂️ Makes me wonder if other trannies run the same temp but don’t have a warning light/message.🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,400 Posts
Honda automatics are different from traditional automatics. No planetary gears. They operate under higher temps and pressures than conventional autos. That's one reason I tend to overmaintain my Honda 5AT by changing the tranny fluid every other OCI.

Fluid checks on the Honda automatic are different from conventional automatics too. Honda automatics are checked hot with the engine off, within 60-90 seconds of shutdown. If you check a Honda automatic while the engine is running, you'll get a false high reading.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
545 Posts
......but it's not due to lack of airflow, right?

Now that I have a tranny cooler installed (aftermarket), my monitored TFT does not seem any higher than the "traditional" auto trannies in which I have also monitored TFT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First got it and loved it. Especially the trunk space. I have the RTL AWD . Problem, 6 months after getting it, pulled my travel trailer on a 2 hour trip to camp. On the way back, transmission over heated. Pulled over . Smelled it burning. Took it in and they said everything was ok. 7 months later, pulled it on a 4 hour trip to Gettysburg, and over heated twice. The trailer is 3050lbs. Well under the 5000 it can pull. Taking it in Monday if it makes it back. Half tempted to let it blow up . Should of gotten the Tundra and spent the extra $8K. Very disappointed in the design and apparently, they say they have t had issues with this problem. I’ve seen many on this forum and other about this problem. I have t seen any aftermarket bigger transmission coolers either.
Here you go! Just a moment...

·
Registered
56 Posts
81 - 91 of 91 Posts