Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I bought a new to me 2019 RL. I knew all about the current recall for the hoods. This truck had the recall still open. I was fine with that. I noticed the hood movement when I test drove it. So I didn’t check it out that much. Knowing I can take it to the dealer to get done. Well it looks like the previous owners purchased a aftermarket hood to try and fix the issue themselves. (I have some of their service reports and they complained about the hood back in early 2019) So the recall doesn’t fix my hood problem as the hood they put on the truck is so flexible. The honda dealer did go ahead an complete the recall. What do I mean by flexible? I mean with hood closed and latched I have close to a 1/2 in of play at the front corners and can actually move the center of the hood about 1/4 in.
So my question is does anyone think an auto body shop could adjust it in any way or do I just need to buy a new hood and hope it’s built better. Thanks in advance any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror Vehicle Motor vehicle

This the the amount of flex/movement I get in the corners of my hood. I have checked the glue under the hood and see that more has been added and it is still bonded currently. When checking along the front the seal is touching all the way across. So is this something I just have to live with?

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
864 Posts
Is it flexing that much or is the entire hood moving up because the latch striker needs adjustment? Less than an 1/8 ” flex in my hood if I push up on a corner.

Reactions: jareister

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just checked my 2019 and there is virtually no play at point you show in your picture (maybe 1/8 inch if I push pretty hard) and even less in the center where the latch is.

I think the first thing I'd try if I were you is to adjust the hood latch down to remove the play in the center of the hood. If you can do that and there is still play at the corners of the hood, then adjust the hood supports on the two sides.

Note that the recall doesn't instruct the dealer to adjust the hood latch or hood supports, but I think it should.

If yours is truly an aftermarket hood then it may just not fit whatever you do. What evidence is there that the hood is not original? It's hard to imagine someone going to the effort of replacing the entire hood with an aftermarket part and getting it painted to match when the hood problems are not that hard to fix.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just checked my 2019 and there is virtually no play at point you show in your picture (maybe 1/8 inch if I push pretty hard) and even less in the center where the latch is.

I think the first thing I'd try if I were you is to adjust the hood latch down to remove the play in the center of the hood. If you can do that and there is still play at the corners of the hood, then adjust the hood supports on the two sides.

Note that the recall doesn't instruct the dealer to adjust the hood latch or hood supports, but I think it should.

If yours is truly an aftermarket hood then it may just not fit whatever you do. What evidence is there that the hood is not original? It's hard to imagine someone going to the effort of replacing the entire hood with an aftermarket part and getting it painted to match when the hood problems are not that hard to fix.
I will see if there is any room to lower the latch. I have adjusted the bump stops up and down to see how it effects the hood at hwy speeds. But it moves all the same.

They had a mini conference about my hood at the dealership between the technician, service writer and the master tech. The MT was the one who claimed the hood was aftermarket. I may take it to the other Honda dealership and get another opinion.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it flexing that much or is the entire hood moving up because the latch striker needs adjustment? Less than an 1/8 ” flex in my hood if I push up on a corner.
Only the corners move that much. The center moves less but does still move more than it should. I am going to look into adjusting the latch and see if I can get better.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Is this aftermarket hood aluminum or steel, I find that both can be purchased?

Bill

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Here's a question and probably a no, at best a long shot but....

Does the 2021/2022 hoods with the power bulge (ha) fit the 2017-2020 Ridgelines?
They are much heavier and I'm betting never flutter, of course they would have to have the same footprint as the earlier ones, which is possible but unlikely. But worth asking.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Both my Pilot and RL hoods have very little flex when opened. Certainly not a 1/2” of flex between the front corner and front center of the hood. If your hood flexes then the adhesive binding the skin to the support has failed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the hood is 1/2 the reason for the redesighn in 2020!! Just my opinion. Got rid of my 2018 because the jello hood drove me nuts. Drove a Highlander for a year, very nice ride but went back to a 2022 Sonic Grey RTL-E, and love it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you have any luck adjusting the hood latch? had the hood replaced on my 2017 RTL-E after getting swept into barbed wire by a flood. The way the body shop gave it back to me left way too much play in the hood, and the recall didn't change any of it. I also didn't like how a gap was a bit larger on one side than the other when looking straight on at the front of the car. removed the radiator plastic cover just under the hood, dropped my latch as low as it would go, and re adjusted the 2 screwable posts so they aligned perfectly with the fenders when the hood was closed. I now have to drop my hood so it has enough force for the latch to catch, but it's SOLID. 99% less hood movement and no longer worrying about the hood flying open when passing 18-wheelers on a 2-lane road.

·
Super Moderator
2,664 Posts
I readjusted my 17' RTL when it was new cause the things were misadjusted badly from the factory. Mine has been perfect and other than the air dryer shaking the hood like no tomorrow at the car wash I go to it's had no flutter at all since readjusting.

·
Registered
2019 Black Edition
3 Posts
Ok so I bought a new to me 2019 RL. I knew all about the current recall for the hoods. This truck had the recall still open. I was fine with that. I noticed the hood movement when I test drove it. So I didn’t check it out that much. Knowing I can take it to the dealer to get done. Well it looks like the previous owners purchased a aftermarket hood to try and fix the issue themselves. (I have some of their service reports and they complained about the hood back in early 2019) So the recall doesn’t fix my hood problem as the hood they put on the truck is so flexible. The honda dealer did go ahead an complete the recall. What do I mean by flexible? I mean with hood closed and latched I have close to a 1/2 in of play at the front corners and can actually move the center of the hood about 1/4 in.
So my question is does anyone think an auto body shop could adjust it in any way or do I just need to buy a new hood and hope it’s built better. Thanks in advance any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
I took my 2019 in for recall on hood latch. Fixed but now the hood moves. Took it in again, and heard back that the latch holds, but the hood needs $1800 fix and 2 days in body shop to fix correctly. My share in "partnering with Honda" is $400. This does not seem right to correct a problem that was not apparent until recall fix? Advice?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Did the hood move prior to the recall work? What work was required for the recall; Simple striker plate install, rivets added or hood replacement? Has the vehicle ever been in a collision requiring a hood replacement? I can’t think of any reason why the recall would cause the hood to become unstable unless it was replaced for the recall and not adjusted properly when installed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The hood recall doesn't keep the hood from moving - it's intended to keep the hood from flying open when it does move.

If the hood cushions (bumpers) are adjusted correctly, the hood shouldn't move up or down by hand when it's closed.
I got mine fixed. They added a metal plate to the latch area. I thought ,at first, not to do that recall. I'm really curious as to how much wind could actually make that hood fly up. It's a very heavy hood.

·
Administrator
22,744 Posts
The issue is that movement of the hood can weaken the latch and cause it to completely release to the point there's nothing at all holding the hood down other than its own weight. The 2017-2020 Ridgeline's hood is actually very light since it's made from aluminum. If you think the aluminum hood is heavy, you should feel the steel hood in a 2021-current Ridgeline. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2018 with the original hood, had the recall done, had the service bulletin to reglue hood substructure done and been back to dealer twice for additional "adjustments". My problems are well documented on this site. While everyone involved means well.... the floppy flex hood issue you are experiencing still persists. Corporate Honda wants the dealer to handle it.... bit I'm with you... my next stop is to a trusted body shop to at least get an opinion. I don't think the average (or even above average) Honda service tech is necessarily the best guy to do bodywork. The Hood is a piece of junk.... so it is going to take some precise adjustments to hold it all together. Until it becomes a.safety recall because someone's hood goes through the windshield, I wouldn't look for any corporate effort to fix it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts