Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're on our 3rd CRV and they have been great cars. The CVT however in our 2015 Touring has soured me to CVT's so I will have to look elsewhere. Honda has saved the 2.0T/10AT for the Acura RDX which is bit a bit upscale for our daily drivers. I am always looking for the next car and the CX-5 TURBO and the supposed Honda Passport are on the short list with the CX-5 being the preferred size.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-suvs/leaked-document-2019-mazda-cx-5-getting-turbo-engine/ar-AAAsn3x?li=BBnb4R5

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
the supposed Honda Passport are on the short list
What niche in the Honda lineup is the Passport going to fill? Maybe the hole that the Element left. I'd rather see the Element brought back than the Passport.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What niche in the Honda lineup is the Passport going to fill? Maybe the hole that the Element left. I'd rather see the Element brought back than the Passport.
The Element was sort of a miss. It was targeted for young people but sales were from older folks. The Passport is supposed to slot between the CRV and Pilot where the Element was a one-off. I think for most the CRV is the sweet spot but if Honda offers a 5 seat SUV with a V6, I'd be interested. Chevy has the Blazer, Ford has the Edge, Hyundai has the Santa regular and XL so Honda will need something to compete. Originally I thought the Passport would be the same as the Chinese Advancier, a luxury 2.0T based SUV but I haven't read anything about the Avancier coming to North America.

·
Registered
542 Posts
For my next vehicle, I wouldn't mind a CRV, but with a bit more cargo space in the back and higher towing capacity and no third row...sort of like an Outback.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Passport is rumored to be a SWB Pilot with two rows rather than a rebadged RDX. I'm thinking/hoping that it will be as wide as the Pilot. But I suspect the 2.0t/ten speed will be under the hood.
I have a 16 CRV. Aware of the 15 cvt vibrations that were sorted by tsb. Our 16 would vibrate in drive if stuck at a traffic light for ages. That however has gone.
I'm liking it more and more but miss the extra seat comfort the RL and Pilot have.

·
Administrator
15,220 Posts
I really enjoyed my '16 CR-V Touring. It was intended only as a stop-gap between my '14 and '17 Ridgelines, but I grew quite affectionate towards it and was more than a little sad and reluctant to swap it for the '17 Ridgeline. It was so easy to drive. The RDX is about the same size, but has all the luxury features of the Ridgeline and then some. Maybe that's what secretly drew me towards the RDX this time.

I like Mazda's current design language. They offer a lot of style for the price. I'm less excited about the VW-esque interior, but the outside looks great. Like many vehicles these days, I like the front and side views, but the rear view seems neglected. It'll be interesting to see how smoothly Mazda can pull off cylinder deactivation in the four-cylinder engine. ;)

·
Registered
414 Posts
It seems like any vehicle with a CVT would only be good for someone who drives mostly in the flatland. I've had salesmen tell me that they provide engine braking, but none could make it actually provide any reasonably effective engine braking, and no one at the dealerships could help. A Nissan dealer was supposed to check with the factory and get back to me, but they never did.

We had a 2015 Mazda CX-5 for a three weeks on vacation a few years back and really liked it, but it was a bit noisy inside. We still might have bought one if that version had been available a year earlier when we decided to try a car again--the Mazda3. I understand the CX-5 has been improved since 2015, so it would be high on my list if I wanted a small SUV right now. I really like being able to put it in any gear instead of being limited to just 2 or 3 of the 6 or more gears that most automatic transmission shifters let you use. And they handle very well. I haven't done all the research again recently, but the CX-5 is probably one of the safest, if not the safest, in its class also. I know reliability varies from one model to another, but Mazda is generally very good, and our 4.5 year old Mazda3 hasn't had a single problem. Never had anything close to that good of an experience before.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,197 Posts
The wife's 2009 Audi wagon is getting a bit long in the tooth and I have been encouraging her to consider the CX5 (she want's a compact crossover). This news about the 2.5 turbo is intriguing . . .

In reviews, the CX5 consistently ranks high in driving dynamics and styling. I personally find the interior to be very uncluttered and appealing. In the higher trims with the parchment interior it looks and feels like a luxury vehicle. The exterior also appeals to my eye while its competitors (CRV and RAV4) are just boring and or awkward looking. You would also never mistake them for a luxury vehicle inside or out. IMHO Mazda has a serious styling edge over its competitors and its interiors in particular hit the mark.

The 18 CX5 doesn't have Carplay / AA as delivered but apparently Mazda is (or will be shortly) retroactively upgrading the 18s. One can only assume that the 19s will have Carplay and AA standard. This has been one of the biggest knocks against Mazda's infotainment packages and I think they have finally gotten the message . . .

The standard 2.5 in the CX5 seems to just barely get the job done and it isn't particularly efficient or powerful. However, the 6 speed transmission gets much higher marks than its competitors CVTs particularly when you are trying to impersonate a luxury or performance vehicle. The addition of the turbo will hopefully step up the power but the reviews of it in the 6 sedan are a bit mixed as Mazda seems to have tuned it conservatively, offering more torque but not a whole lot of zoom zoom.

From what I can tell the 2019 CX5 will be out some time in November so it shouldn't be too long till some reports / reviews are in on the 2.5T / carplay&aa as it is implemented in the CX5.

I for one am excited to see how it goes . . .

PS: The diesel engine seemed promising for the CX5 but in spite of promises it is really taking its time coming state side. The economy specs for it(US specs and if they are to be believed) aren't that impressive, seriously diminishing the appeal. Perhaps the detuning required for the US market was really more dramatic than Mazda initially bargained for?? Hopefully the reality will be better than what it looks like like right now . . .

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The only drawback I can see to Mazda is a thin dealer network and it remains to be seen how the safety bits stack up. I don't know if they are standard or optional. One of the car magazines couldn't justify a Lexus NX over it that's how good the interior is. I believe that the CX-5 is built in Japan so that's a plus. The Topher in one of his reviews called the Mazda 6 speed the stuff of dreams. IMO the high torque at low RPM turbos are well suited to AWD, getting the power to the road. I find it appealing to have high torque at low rpm with fewer shifts as a second best alternative to a smooth, linear V6 that you can wind out the gears with. Keep in mind that the Mazda 6 Sedan beats the 2.0T Accord in some mid speed acceleration tests so overall it's no slouch once in motion. It remains to be seen though if this will actually happen. Subaru dropped the turbo from the Forester, only a 5% take rate.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,197 Posts
I don't know if the turbo in the CX-5 is going to be an option in the upper trims or simply the only engine in the upper trims? I would expect the later but I don't really know Mazda very well. Plenty of people will choose the upper trims regardless of powertrain so the new turbo may just be a required part of that experience. It will be interesting to see how much it adds to the cost compared to the 2018s.

Dealers? I haven't yet found a Honda dealer that is at least modestly honest and competent when it comes to issues / service. How much worse could the Mazda experience be?:)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some review videos out now although it was in snow country in Canada. Of course, the turbo will only be available in the pricier trims which IMO won't do anything for sales. Surprisingly, both Nathan from TFL truck and Alex on Autos mention the CX-5 in the same sentence as the RDX.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Some review videos out now although it was in snow country in Canada. Of course, the turbo will only be available in the pricier trims which IMO won't do anything for sales. Surprisingly, both Nathan from TFL truck and Alex on Autos mention the CX-5 in the same sentence as the RDX.
I think I am representing a lot of people when I say "I like Mazda, but I've never really wanted to own one"; whereas Acura just barely clears that hurdle.

Now I will go and hide from all the Miata owners...

·
Administrator
15,220 Posts
A cousin of mine once had a new 1990 MX-6. I remember being very impressed with the build quality, solidity, ride, handling, and features. It had oscillating center vents and the automatic transmission could be shifted manually - very rare features at the time.

Miatas are a blast to drive, but totally impractical.

As with others, I like Mazda, but not enough to buy one - there always seems to be something better.

·
Registered
631 Posts
One of my hunting buddies just replaced a totaled Mazda sedan with the CX-5 and while I like the styling and interior layout it just doesn't get me very excited. It's perfectly acceptable transportation and he has had excellent luck with his long history with the brand. I looked at their RX-7 sports car in the early 80s but went with a 300zx instead.

·
Administrator
15,220 Posts
Re: Safety Recall: 3.5L V6 Timing Belt

I see a CX-5 in my future.
I drove a CX-5 yesterday at the Texas Auto Roundup. I thought it was a nice looking vehicle both inside and out. The 2.5L turbo engine was very smooth at idle. It was also quiet, the steering felt great, and it had a "fun to drive" factor.

There are a lot of really good vehicles these days and very few bad ones. The market is incredibly competitive and it's a terrific time to be brand-neutral.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,400 Posts

I drove a CX-5 yesterday at the Texas Auto Roundup. I thought it was a nice looking vehicle both inside and out. The 2.5L turbo engine was very smooth at idle. It was also quiet, the steering felt great, and it had a "fun to drive" factor.

There are a lot of really good vehicles these days and very few bad ones. The market is incredibly competitive and it's a terrific time to be brand-neutral.
A little over a year ago I helped my eldest daughter shop for and buy a CX5. She picked up a used 2016 with about 10k miles on it... and the price reflected those few miles too. She's been delighted with it (replaced a worn out 2007 Maxima). I don't know when the turbo entered the equation; hers is NA.

I was favorably impressed with it too and might consider replacing our Pilot with something like that down the road... if we ever wear it out... and if my wife would consider something other than a Pilot. If nothing else, the SkyActiv is not VCM!

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
81 Posts

A little over a year ago I helped my eldest daughter shop for and buy a CX5. She picked up a used 2016 with about 10k miles on it... and the price reflected those few miles too. She's been delighted with it (replaced a worn out 2007 Maxima). I don't know when the turbo entered the equation; hers is NA.

I was favorably impressed with it too and might consider replacing our Pilot with something like that down the road... if we ever wear it out... and if my wife would consider something other than a Pilot. If nothing else, the SkyActiv is not VCM!
I have a 2017 and as I understand it:

2017 - NA / no Cyl deactivation
2018 - cylinder deactivation
2019 - Turbo entered
2020 - Prob a new Diesel

·
Administrator
15,220 Posts

2019 - Turbo entered
2020 - Prob a new Diesel
Correct.

The 2017 had a 2.5L I4 with variable valve timing (187 HP, 185 lb-ft)
The 2018 added cylinder deactivation (+1 MPG city for FWD, +1 MPG city, but -1 MPG highway for AWD!)
The 2019 added a turbocharged 2.5L good for 227-250 HP depending on octane and 310 lb-ft
The 2020 will add a 2.2L turbodiesel good for 168 HP and 290 lb-ft (Note: The price of diesel currently offsets the additional fuel economy over the gasoline 2.5L turbo engine)

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,400 Posts

2019 - Turbo entered
2020 - Prob a new Diesel
Correct.

The 2017 had a 2.5L I4 with variable valve timing (187 HP, 185 lb-ft)
The 2018 added cylinder deactivation (+1 MPG city for FWD, +1 MPG city, but -1 MPG highway for AWD!)
The 2019 added a turbocharged 2.5L good for 227-250 HP depending on octane and 310 lb-ft
The 2020 will add a 2.2L turbodiesel good for 168 HP and 290 lb-ft (Note: The price of diesel currently offsets the additional fuel economy over the gasoline 2.5L turbo engine)
I had no idea that there was such a thing as a 4 cylinder engine with VCM... or cylinder deactivation. Glad hers doesn't have that.

·
Administrator
15,220 Posts

Mazda recently announced that the forthcoming diesel option for the CX-5 adds $4,000. With less power and torque, higher emissions, more noise, the need for diesel exhaust fluid, and a higher fuel cost than the turbocharged gasoline engine, I don't understand why anyone would purchase it unless they plan on running it on used cooking oil.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts