Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Welcome @Mezzfin! Looking forward to seeing more outdoor videos with a ridgeline. Don’t get overwhelmed with all the info on this site, lots of good threads out there!

· Registered
2009 Honda Element
25 Posts
Welcome @Mezzfin! Looking forward to seeing more outdoor videos with a ridgeline. Don’t get overwhelmed with all the info on this site, lots of good threads out there!
Might we ask how satisfied you were with the PP? I'm on the fence as to which ride to get .....RL or PP? I lean towards the PP for passenger room(grandkids) but towards the RL for sheer utility. Decisions, decisions....

· Registered
855 Posts
Welcome! Another convertible fan…I looked at an ‘09 S2000 before I got my first Miata—a ‘19 soft top—now I have a ‘21 RF GT. There’s nothing like driving with the top down when the weather’s nice.

The Ridgeline is an awesome fishing vehicle. Will get you to your site with all your gear in style. The in bed trunk is a huge boon. In fact, in the summer, I just keep my fly fishing gear and rods in there all the time, in case the mood strikes me.

If you pull a boat, nothing better for a smaller boat.

And after all the fishing, when you’re at your campsite grilling those fish, you can use the in bed speakers to play Willie, Waylon and the boys.

(Disclaimer—I am not a great fisherman. I feel lucky if I catch a fish. It’s all catch and release, so I don’t grill up the trout. But it’s all about the fishing experience and being out in the wild, right?)

· Registered
855 Posts
I’ve driven a Passport and Pilot, and actually found the RL to ride better. Maybe it’s the wheelbase and wheels, but seems to soak up road imperfections better.

That said, I‘m planning on checking out the new Pilot Trailsport when they show up locally. It has some nice features for off-roading.

· Premium Member
2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might we ask how satisfied you were with the PP? I'm on the fence as to which ride to get .....RL or PP? I lean towards the PP for passenger room(grandkids) but towards the RL for sheer utility. Decisions, decisions....
I was very satisfied with the PP, and I would still be driving it for a long time if ice, road conditions, and repair costs totaling greater than 70% of its value didn't dictate otherwise :) But given it has the same number of seats as the RL, I went with the RL this time because of the greater utility. Get an RL and throw the kids in the back seats - they might even like it better given how much higher up they get to sit in the RL!

· Premium Member
2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I’ve driven a Passport and Pilot, and actually found the RL to ride better. Maybe it’s the wheelbase and wheels, but seems to soak up road imperfections better.

That said, I‘m planning on checking out the new Pilot Trailsport when they show up locally. It has some nice features for off-roading.
I would agree on the ride. I had actually put 18" RL wheels on my PP, so I was already getting the better ride :) Going from 45 to a 60 series sidewall makes all the difference. I looked at the new Pilot, and while I was excited about the trail cameras, different gearing, etc., the length of the new Pilot, even when lifted 1" as the Trailsport is, mean approach and departure angles are terrible. In the end, it's hard to beat the PP angles for softroading, but adding the 1.5" lift kit from Jsport will get me close!

· Registered
855 Posts
I would agree on the ride. I had actually put 18" RL wheels on my PP, so I was already getting the better ride :) Going from 45 to a 60 series sidewall makes all the difference. I looked at the new Pilot, and while I was excited about the trail cameras, different gearing, etc., the length of the new Pilot, even when lifted 1" as the Trailsport is, mean approach and departure angles are terrible. In the end, it's hard to beat the PP angles for softroading, but adding the 1.5" lift kit from Jsport will get me close!
I would be interested in the ‘24 Passport Trailsport if they upgrade it like the new Pilot. I don’t need more than 5 seats.

Ha! I get that question a lot :) That’s Yakima’s Double Haul fly rod carrier. Holds four 10’ rods rigged up and ready to fish!
I love to fly fish. My rods all break down into 4 pieces. During the summer I carry my rods, boots/waders and fly gear in the trunk “just in case”, though I have to drive a couple of hours for any kind of stream trout fishing, so it’s not like a spur of the moment decision. The RL with the in-bed trunk is awesome for fishing though.

I usually go to Minnesota or South Dakota, though there are some OK streams in northern Nebraska. Fished in Montana once. Planning to go to Colorado (where my son and sister live) this summer and fish the South Platte.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts