Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
People don't do their jobs well today, so yeah somewhere in the rat's nest of wires that goes into radio install there could be a problem, BUTT FIRST... The "normal" problem with Ridgelines is the battery connections... Lift the hood and grab the battery cable clamp and see if you can slip it off the terminal, even though it's fully tight... After 10 years of carrying a spare battery in my trunk, I discovered this hidden issue... Months ago, I cut a 1/2" copper pipe, split it and stuck it between the terminal and the clamp, and haven't had a problem since...
Thanks, I'll be sure to check that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a similar problem that was traced back to the aftermarket horns I installed. The wiring was bad and created a parasitic drain on the battery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just to follow up on my original post...Honda dealer has had my Ridgey since a week ago and it wouldn't replicate the not starting problem, of course...They took it to the audio place and the stock radio is now back installed (part of the sales deal ws they were to upgrade that crappy radio.) Still it won't replicate the problem (randomly not starting3 times in a month's time, then starting ok.) Honda is insisting that it is the fault of the aftermarket radio installation which the audio people vehemently deny. So Honda is using their "master tech" to install the aftermarket radio and then we shall see...any bets on that solving the problem? And what does Honda dealer know about installing a radio that the (highly rated) audio shop doesn't? BTW one service guy at Honda told me and their GM that he has seen problems with EVERY aftermarket radio installed in a Honda. The GM doesn't believe it and I...just don't know. But I miss my little truck but at least they gave me an '16 Accord to drive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a brand new (2k miles now) 2019 Sport and I have loved everything about it, but in the last few weeks it hasn't started 3 times. All electric stuff comes on, and 5 minutes later it starts. Called service truck who jumped it and it didn't help. It's at the dealer now who is trying to figure it out. They actually have no idea except to blame the aftermarket radio installation (I required a radio upgrade as part of the deal...why such a nice vehicle with such a poor radio?) It may be the radio, but the audio guys who installed it don't think so; tomorrow they will check it...I hope to find out soon! Any guesses?
A few times my Ridgeline has failed to start, but I'm pretty sure it was because I pressed the brake and start button at about the same time. I assume that is not what's happening to you.

Your dealer deserves some credit for trying to fix the problem even though they couldn't reproduce it. My dealer wouldn't even fix a couple of problems that were very easy to see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
A few times my Ridgeline has failed to start, but I'm pretty sure it was because I pressed the brake and start button at about the same time. I assume that is not what's happening to you.

Your dealer deserves some credit for trying to fix the problem even though they couldn't reproduce it. My dealer wouldn't even fix a couple of problems that were very easy to see.
I’m hoping for the best. The dealer has to make good, it’s under warranty with only 2k miles. They are trying...

·
Registered
138 Posts
If it hasn't been done already, something to check would be an intermittently faulty brake pedal switch. Sometimes my 2017 RL won't crank, and pushing harder than usual on the brake pedal fixes it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I shifted into reverse today while the engine was turning over after hitting the start button and it killed the engine immediately. Took me a second to realize what I did. Put it back into park and waited an extra second after the engine turned over and then shifted into reverse. No problem whatsoever. I was a little surprised that the system was that particular about the start sequence. I imagine there are quite a few things that could potentially stop the vehicle from starting. I wonder if there is a list the techs have access to that list all the potential items that will prevent startup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I shifted into reverse today while the engine was turning over after hitting the start button and it killed the engine immediately. Took me a second to realize what I did. Put it back into park and waited an extra second after the engine turned over and then shifted into reverse. No problem whatsoever. I was a little surprised that the system was that particular about the start sequence. I imagine there are quite a few things that could potentially stop the vehicle from starting. I wonder if there is a list the techs have access to that list all the potential items that will prevent startup.
It should be simple to start, and usually is. Sometimes it doesn't start no matter what; even had it jumped by service truck and the driver couldn't figure it out either. He was going to tow it when magically it started...but the problem won't replicate at the dealer and they cannot figure it out.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts