Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know a lot of people would hate this setup on this truck but here yah go. . .

My Overland Inspired RL
-Locally Fabricated Truck Rack (2x1" steel) that can hold 500lbs
-Softopper Cover
- 17x8.5 rim +15 offset 265/65r17 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 (yes its heavy and noisy tire compared to my old 265/50r20 Bridgestone Ecopia)
-2" Traxxda Lift Kit Front and Rear

Planning to get a Roof/Rack Tent next spring but dont know which brand would look best.

Yes, gas mileage went down but not that bad.

*Before Mod

·
Registered
586 Posts
During this Pandemic I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos about overlanding and I love them, some pretty cool stuff out there. And your Ridgeline looks cool, but I still don't feel like the Ridgeline is the right tool for that job.

·
Super Moderator
5,550 Posts
You did a great job on the truck, @Raksaza. My brother did similar things to his Tacoma, but it's still primarily a "garage queen." Glad you are enjoying the RL.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
159 Posts
Looks awesome! If I didn't have a tonneau already I would've gone this route, I love the functionality of the softtopper!

I ended up modifying the vantech rack by attaching the uprights to a Yakima LockNLoad platform and using the tslots underneath to mount a FSS, treds, and some other gear.

If you're looking for RTTs, I just got TuffStuff Alpha (Tuff Stuff® ALPHA™ Hard Top Side Open Tent, Black, 4 Person). It's basically a knock-off iKamper for half the price. It's a bit heavy, but much more aerodynamic than my old Yakima one (and much easier to open + bigger footprint as well). I'll be updating my thread with some new pictures but overall I'm very happy with it!

My post on it here: Camping RL with Vantech rack, Yakima RTT, Awning, Basket...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cool setup. I have been thinking of converting my RL to camper too. But the 64 inch bed is little short for me to sleep unless in diagnostic.

Is 3rd brake light required in your state? Don't know whether the soft top has that option. Is trunk lid still able to open to maximum?

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
I really like the rack and the wheels. I already have the SofTopper. What are the wheels?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks bitchin!! Now don't come back until you have some pictures of you "overlanding" lol
there`s not much i can go with this height but i just got back from our trip with my RL. i gotta say offroad is fun with the RL :) (my kiddo wants to be on the pic)

Cool setup. I have been thinking of converting my RL to camper too. But the 64 inch bed is little short for me to sleep unless in diagnostic.

Is 3rd brake light required in your state? Don't know whether the soft top has that option. Is trunk lid still able to open to maximum?
i have no 3rd brake light, but its not that strict on Winnipeg so I guess Im good without it. Im 5`6 and still fit pretty good inside with the Optional "Tent" for softopper

I really like the rack and the wheels. I already have the SofTopper. What are the wheels?
Wheels are Miglia 1000 Concave 17x8.5 :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Oh the SAND mode and MUD mode is AWESOME!!

(This is a video from my buddy just took some screenshots because cant upload videos)

·
Registered
2019 Sport
62 Posts
I know a lot of people would hate this setup on this truck but here yah go. . .

My Overland Inspired RL
-Locally Fabricated Truck Rack (2x1" steel) that can hold 500lbs
-Softopper Cover
- 17x8.5 rim +15 offset 265/65r17 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 (yes its heavy and noisy tire compared to my old 265/50r20 Bridgestone Ecopia)
-2" Traxxda Lift Kit Front and Rear

Planning to get a Roof/Rack Tent next spring but dont know which brand would look best.

Yes, gas mileage went down but not that bad.

View attachment 405227 View attachment 405229 View attachment 405230

*Before Mod

View attachment 405231
I was looking for a rack to go over the Softopper to put a couple of kayaks on but couldn't find anything. You seem to have solved the problem yourself. How difficult was it to mount the rack on the box rails and how much does it impact removal and installation of the Sopftopper?

·
Registered
2019 Sport
62 Posts

The trunk lid opens to the maximum with the Softopper.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Really nice looking Rigi.....the wheels are killer. Check driver's front......looks like a lug nut is missing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really nice looking Rigi.....the wheels are killer. Check driver's front......looks like a lug nut is missing.
Yeah, the guy who put my wheels back on the dealership messed it up so i had them buy me a new one lol.

I was looking for a rack to go over the Softopper to put a couple of kayaks on but couldn't find anything. You seem to have solved the problem yourself. How difficult was it to mount the rack on the box rails and how much does it impact removal and installation of the Sopftopper?
I had the rack custom to be removable with 2 bolt holding each rail. Also i use the softopper attachment points (galvanized steel) grind it and the guy welded it for me. pretty awesome feature imo.

A Recent photo of my RL with my old CRV rack on the back (fog lights not wired as i was trying it on how it looks)

Thoughts??

Reactions: Kane and Prometheon

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Sport Crew Cab Pickup AWD - Black
41 Posts
Yeah, the guy who put my wheels back on the dealership messed it up so i had them buy me a new one lol.

I had the rack custom to be removable with 2 bolt holding each rail. Also i use the softopper attachment points (galvanized steel) grind it and the guy welded it for me. pretty awesome feature imo.

View attachment 406351

A Recent photo of my RL with my old CRV rack on the back (fog lights not wired as i was trying it on how it looks)

Thoughts??
I would recommend getting some roof rails and possibly moving the rack there. Lights that far back will just light up your roof for the most part. May I ask where/what shop did you use to fabricate the frame around the soft topper?

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Sport Crew Cab Pickup AWD - Black
41 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
While I don't think the Ridgeline would be good for "overlanding", I do really wish someone would make a halfway decent truck camper for it. I will go out for paramotor fly-in events, and having a decent camper setup (like the GoFast Campers shell) would be nice. The RL has the advantage of being wider and a bit longer in the bed.

Barring something like that, I may eventually pick up a smaller camper trailer. I had an RPOD, but really didn't like towing that thing long distances. A smaller teardrop style trailer might be much nicer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would recommend getting some roof rails and possibly moving the rack there. Lights that far back will just light up your roof for the most part. May I ask where/what shop did you use to fabricate the frame around the soft topper?
im gonna take off the lights on the roofrack. i was just trying it on since it came from my old 01`CR-V.
TR Design & Fabrications
and guy name Chris did everything from design to fabricating my rack around the topper.

Where did you install your lift and had you had any issues since?
there are no issues at all with my Lift Kit from TraxdaUSA and im really loving it. i might go from 2.5 (front & rear) to 3.5" (front & rear) next year because i think its still too low compare to my buddies
TRD PRO Tacoma.
While I don't think the Ridgeline would be good for "overlanding", I do really wish someone would make a halfway decent truck camper for it. I will go out for paramotor fly-in events, and having a decent camper setup (like the GoFast Campers shell) would be nice. The RL has the advantage of being wider and a bit longer in the bed.

Barring something like that, I may eventually pick up a smaller camper trailer. I had an RPOD, but really didn't like towing that thing long distances. A smaller teardrop style trailer might be much nicer.
Thats what im trying to get after my bed Rack, a decent (not so overpriced) camper shell that i can bring anywhere on my camping trips because i dont like towing something either since i prefer bringing my truck on some trails and camp there lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts