Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

241 - 260 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
^^ Yes. The price difference between the RTL and RTL-E isn't all that much. I'm sure many people were simply jumping straight to the RTL-E for everything it offered. Most of the RL's I see on dealer lots are RTL's or RTL-T's, so I think Honda likely wanted to even out their model sales. Adding the things they did to the models they did will likely sway some people to go for these ones rather than the E. If I had to buy a G2, I would have been forced to go with an E to get the features I wanted. Now, for 2019, I'd be satisfied with an RTL and happy as a clam with an RTL-T.
In Oregon, a used RTL-E goes for 39k while a used RTL goes for $33k. Oregon sucks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm currently looking at an 18 RTL, but as I would very much like a moonroof & the power back glass I'd rather have a 19. I can get the 18 awd RTL for $33k plus taxes doc fees etc... The RTL should have had this from the get go IMO. The 19 will depend on price, but I don't want to regret getting the 18, decisions, decisions. :|

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
One final thought: If Honda's reasoning for the 17 G2 was correct per their focus groups, why are they last in mid size truck sales? I'm sure that isn't their goal in this vehicle segment.
Honda doesn't have the capacity to make more than about 35-40k RL's per year. The Pilot, Odyssey and MDX take up 90% of the manufacturing capacity at the Alabama plant. The RL is a niche vehicle. It always has been and likely always will be. It's a line-filler and nothing more which is why there is such a huge push to share components with the other models. With the RL in the lineup, Honda can keep their production lines running at full steam all the time and never miss an opportunity to produce a vehicle. Plus, they will sell every single RL they make. Sounds like a pretty good business model to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought two weeks ago, think I can turn mine back in for a 2019? lol uggg.. just mere weeks..

Well. I visited my dealer yesterday. 19s aren’t in yet. Ride to make a deal on a upcoming RTL E. They are not dealing much on the 19s. So look at I this way, you probably got a better discount. Depending on what trim level you bought, little to no changes. Same colors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm currently looking at an 18 RTL, but as I would very much like a moonroof & the power back glass I'd rather have a 19. I can get the 18 awd RTL for $33k plus taxes doc fees etc... The RTL should have had this from the get go IMO. The 19 will depend on price, but I don't want to regret getting the 18, decisions, decisions. :|

Same here, decisions. I can get a 18 AWD RTL-T for 35,500 or wait for 2019 T which will probably be around 37,800 here. $2300 more for those 2 options and a model year newer?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Same here, decisions. I can get a 18 AWD RTL-T for 35,500 or wait for 2019 T which will probably be around 37,800 here. $2300 more for those 2 options and a model year newer?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depreciation will account for 1/2 that $2300 (2018 vs. 2019)....at least. I look at it more like $1200 in options, which is worth it to me and will increase your resale value to offset cost. I'd wait for the 2019, but YMMV. My biggest gripe has been the availability of the rear sliding glass available only on $40k models- I guess Honda must've gotten some well-deserved flak and listened.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Ref: accelerated model years

I'd put my money on this being a move to improve factory efficiency, rather than a marketing move.

IF Honda keeps the Ridgeline a low-volume seller, then it doesn't make much for headlines, so they might as well align it with Pilot refreshes to maximize parts efficiencies. This was discussed briefly earlier in this thread.

IF Honda decides to increase Ridgeline production (there was some early talk of Honda considering the Ridgeline for a global market, although that would likely be better met with off-shore factories), they could be readying the plant for expanded production. They have been building some expansion in Alabama over the last couple years, as per press releases, although there has been speculation that this has been primarily for hybrid production. If the truck market continues to grow, particularly the mid-size market, it would be foolish for Honda not to capitalize on it. They have the best mid-size truck out there for those who don't rock-crawl and those who don't tow loads meant for full-size trucks.

All Honda has to do is give the truck it's own identity with unique sheet metal up front, something that the general public can swallow a little easier. The truck doesn't have to be tough. Just make it tough-looking, and that will satisfy most truck buyers. It works for every other manufacturer. Add an off-road package and they could compete with GM and Ford if they have factory capacity, and they change their strategy.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Honda doesn't have the capacity to make more than about 35-40k RL's per year. The Pilot, Odyssey and MDX take up 90% of the manufacturing capacity at the Alabama plant. The RL is a niche vehicle. It always has been and likely always will be. It's a line-filler and nothing more which is why there is such a huge push to share components with the other models. With the RL in the lineup, Honda can keep their production lines running at full steam all the time and never miss an opportunity to produce a vehicle. Plus, they will sell every single RL they make. Sounds like a pretty good business model to me.
I disagree with 'line filler' and nothing more. Given that it typically takes $100s of millions to bring to a new car to production, why would they even bother given the abysmal sales numbers of the G1 in it's later years? In the past, niche or halo vehicles were normally built as a hook to get people into the brand. I don't think the RL was ever built to be a hook to buy something else. They built it to achieve a measure of market share in the mid size segment. My reading tells me Honda would love to get back to the 50K unit plus level it topped out at in 2006 and have plans to move other model production to Ohio from Alabama to accomplish that. I also read that the record 50K annual units for the G1 truck fell below expectations at the time. At any rate, it shows Honda's commitment to increase market share in the revitalized mid size truck segment.....not simply as a 10% line filler in Alabama.

The global platform/shared component aspect has been around for a very long time and is only being honed further by all auto makers. Heck, the outside mirrors on all Gen 1,2 Vipers (92-02) are the same as the Stealth/3000 cars to name just one overlap. The G1 Viper was brought to production on a 'shoestring' budget of $100M. GM is considering paring down to 5 total platforms by 2025. Ford only has a few now. Shared powertrain components are the norm for all vehicles today and have been for a long time.

As for the future, I'm guessing much will depend on how the new Ranger is received as it was the king of the segment in it's last iteration. The new Ranger looks to be a much better product. I also see the 18 Accord has a much improved infotainment set up...catching up to where some have been for years. It even has knobs and buttons. Why didn't the G2 RL get this system to start with?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Our hope of adding another Honda to the family appears to be on rocky ground. The 19's will have no discounts & they're not offering enough for my trade, even on the 18 they have. Honda screwed up when they discontinued the RTS. I'd already had one of those, and been satisfied. :frown:

·
Registered
28 Posts
As of Mar 5, 2018 this ridiculous 2019 Ridgeline timing is official.
The 2019 Honda Ridgeline arrives at dealerships nationwide beginning tomorrow (Mar 6, 2018)

What's New for 2019?
Like range-topping Ridgeline models, RT, Sport, and RTL models now include a second USB port, while RTL and RTL-T models add a power sliding rear window and moonroof.

No 10 speed AT. That baby goes to 2018 Odyssey.
- All Odyssey models are equipped with steering wheel mounted paddle shifters, to give drivers greater control over transmission operation, which is particularly useful in mountainous driving or when towing.
- Models equipped with the new 10AT also have a new Idle-Stop capability, which further enhances fuel efficiency.

It (10AT) will appear first in upper grades of the all-new 2018 Honda Odyssey minivan, launching this spring, and will be applied to additional light-truck and car models in the future. (2020 model?)
Be careful what you wish for, it comes with auto Idle-Stop ...
>:)

Even 2018 Honda Accord got it! :grin:
2.0-liter turbo with 10AT (EX-L trim): 23/34 mpg
2.0-liter turbo with 10AT (Sport & Touring trims): 22/32 mpg

Sweet stuff goes to the car segments with strongest competition!
Honda truck is not in hot seat ... :wink:

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
Be careful what you wish for, it comes with auto Idle-Stop ...
So far, only 10AT+V6 has idle stop, not the 10AT+I4.

You can press a button to turn it off for the duration of the current ignition cycle, but it defaults to on each time the vehicle is started.

Has anyone read or know when we will have information on what has changed for the Canadian 2019 Ridgelines?
There's nothing on the Honda Canada media website yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
With the introduction of the 2019’s so early in the year, compared to everyone else and the lack of changes for the 2019’s, it really makes you wonder about the 2020 and what ‘major’ changes await us for the next model year. Now the delima is does one wait for the 2020 or purchase a 2019. That said it never is a good choice to buy a new model when there are lots of changes so that would mean holding off till the 2021’s.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
With the introduction of the 2019’s so early in the year, compared to everyone else and the lack of changes for the 2019’s, it really makes you wonder about the 2020 and what ‘major’ changes await us for the next model year. Now the delima is does one wait for the 2020 or purchase a 2019. That said it never is a good choice to buy a new model when there are lots of changes so that would mean holding off till the 2021’s.
And then when you're ready to buy a 2021, everybody will be talking about everything that is wrong with the 2020 refresh, and how the 2023 Gen3 will fix all of the world's problems. So, you wait for 2024 (hey, that's six years from now!), and so on..... :D

241 - 260 of 364 Posts