Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Target Audience
Folks like me who don't mind a one-time effort and a few bucks to have both 7-blade RV and 4-pin flat trailer connections. I have 2 'braked' trailers that need the 7-blade and a very frequently used 8ft. utility trailer w/o brakes that uses the 4-pin flat; I also 'swap' trailers of both types with neighbors.

Worth it to me to spend a few hours and a few bucks one-time for years of day-to-day convenience without adaptors.

Mine is a '19 RTL-E with OEM 7-blade socket and the socket bracket welded to the hitch; alter as needed if you have the accessory wiring/socket with bolted-on socket bracket.

Parts Used
Google the Hopkins PNs to find your best source; I found my best deal through Walmart online, $36.11+local tax w/2-day delivery 'free', YMMV.
IMO the Hopkins pieces are very high quality, fully gasketed, the harness connector is genuine Delphi with water seals

Materials Used
  • Rustoluem High Heat Ultra (satin black I had on hand that happens to be a very good match to the RL OEM hitch components)
  • Electric-connection grease for all socket pins (pouch included in the Hopkins kit)
My Basic Steps & Tips (there's endless ways to do this project, YMMV):

1. OEM socket/harness removal
  • remove two bolts then slide the socket straight down to remove from bracket
  • use a 'split-blade' trim tool to pop both the harness clip and harness connector clip out of the chassis holes
  • carefully use a tiny screwdriver to release the harness clip 'zip-lock' loop for re-use
  • remove the harness connector clip from the connector to allow the connector to separate
2. OEM socket bracket removal
  • a SawsAll w/metal cutting blade fit into the visible gap makes quick work of cutting-off the OEM bracket (3 tabs)
  • 3-1/2" angle grinder makes quick work of removing weld beads to flush-and-flat (don't repaint yet)
3. Hopkins 40975 bracket installation
  • painter's tape on the hitch bottom makes it easier to mark your location
  • the Hopkins kit includes self-drilling/tapping TEKS screws - I find it easier to install these in awkward locations by drilling a pilot hole just large enough to let the TEKS screw fit down to the start of the threads
  • centerpunch your hole locations no matter what
  • after holes are drilled, then prep the metal and spray on your touch-up paint (hand held cardboard mask makes it easy, I did 3 coats)
  • apply a thin layer of RTV to the bracket flange to 'bed' and prevent moisture trapping between the bracket and the hitch (optional)
  • if you pre-drill for the TEKS screws they are easy to start and tighten using a standard socket-driver
  • snap the socket into the bracket
4. Hopkins 40985 harness prep & install
  • attached is table for wire color correlation in my case
  • VERIFY your Honda harness wire colors vs Hopkins wire colors (correlate wire to 7-blade socket function)
  • Remember to 'stagger' your splices so they aren't all bulked-up in one place making it hard to fit the split-loom cover neatly
  • Splice in the manner you prefer - I did solder + heat-shrink splices in this case to reduce bulk (crimp connectors furnished in the Hopkins kit are likely perfectly suitable)
Now just waiting for the RedArc brake controller to arrive ...... 馃槈

Attachments

Registered
Bought a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter plug from e-trailer for my 2019 Passport. Less than 10 bucks, simple plug and play, has LEDs built into the plug to indicate light function.

Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Bought a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter plug from e-trailer for my 2019 Passport. Less than 10 bucks, simple plug and play, has LEDs built into the plug to indicate light function.
Good to have options, to each their own, no worries :)

But adapters isn't the subject of this thread, please ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts