Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just returned home with a 2019 RTL-E. I posted here about my final impressions (with a couple of lingering regrets) of my well-used 2010 RTL.

First: the 2G is a much more refined vehicle. The 1G was a pleasure to drive, and had no annoying rattles unless I had left something loose. But the 2G is a dream, with much less road and wind noise making its way inside.

Second: Honda has apparently been spanked enough times about its laggard approach to automotive electronics. The non-touchscreen radio on the '10 was horribly out of date, and I replaced it with a nice Sony Bluetooth touchscreen unit years ago. My spouse is leasing a 2016 CR-V Touring model with navigation, and finds the navi feature to be nearly inscrutable. This Ridge has electronics that have evolved from the CR-V. The navi interface does not suck, and everything happens much more quickly. CarPlay is built in, and so I can plug my iPhone in and forget about the Garmin navigation if I prefer.

Third: driving is more comfortable with a telescoping function added to the tilt I had on the previous steering wheel. I'm hoping my spouse finds it more advantageous to bring the steering wheel closer, versus scrunching her seat right up to the dashboard.

Fourth: the heated steering wheel is A Good Thing. Not yet, but in a month or so.

Fifth: even though the profile has changed (it's startling to see the stub nose when I'm used to the front end looking all truckly and everything :smile: ) it's still unmistakably a Ridgeline. It maneuvers much like my '10; it just felt right from the moment I took it out on the street. (And yeah, I heard that "clunk" of depreciated value dropping off the vehicle as I made that right turn…)

Everyone falls in love with the vehicle they just purchased, I know. But I'm looking forward to getting to know this one better.

Best part: Dark Cherry Pearl and Deep Scarlet Pearl seem to be almost the same color, so no jarring change in my driveway for the neighbors to notice!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also bought a 2019 Rtl-e. Absolutely no regrets. I’ve had it six weeks and so far enjoying every driving moment. Only issue I have is the chemical smell from the trunk . Read about it , had the dealer try to eradicate it and so far no luck. I think it’s especially bad because I have a temperature controlled garage, so the smell seems worse when it’s confined like that.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also bought a 2019 Rtl-e. Absolutely no regrets. I’ve had it six weeks and so far enjoying every driving moment. Only issue I have is the chemical smell from the trunk . Read about it , had the dealer try to eradicate it and so far no luck. I think it’s especially bad because I have a temperature controlled garage, so the smell seems worse when it’s confined like that.
Sunshine is the best disinfectant. Seriously.

Before the weather starts turning foul you might consider leaving the trunk open and facing toward the sun. Give it a chance to off-gas the remaining volatile compounds that were used in manufacturing it. Open the drain if you want a little more circulation.

Glad you're enjoying your truck!

Reactions: Fillmore_Slim

·
Registered
101 Posts
(And yeah, I heard that "clunk" of depreciated value dropping off the vehicle as I made that right turn…)

You only realize the depreciation when you sell it well before you need to. Trucks do not depreciate all that much, at least here in the midwest. I purchased a 2017 E for 40,000 - according to KBB I can get a trade in value of 31500 and a private party value of 34500. Judging by your past experience it takes you 9 to 10 years to buy a new car. So, no worries for you on this one.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Try opening it and leaving it outside for a while if it's not raining. Another thing is to open the plug and leave it open for a couple of weeks. Mine is much more tolerable. sometimes not noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sunshine is the best disinfectant. Seriously.

Before the weather starts turning foul you might consider leaving the trunk open and facing toward the sun. Give it a chance to off-gas the remaining volatile compounds that were used in manufacturing it. Open the drain if you want a little more circulation.

Glad you're enjoying your truck!
As we speak I have the spare tire and rack out of the trunk. I have had the truck outside with the sun passing by for two days.
I plan on installing a tonneau as I plan to secure stuff while traveling this winter. So, I don’t want to expand the odor to the entire bed.
Thanks for your advise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
As we speak I have the spare tire and rack out of the trunk. I have had the truck outside with the sun passing by for two days.
I plan on installing a tonneau as I plan to secure stuff while traveling this winter. So, I don’t want to expand the odor to the entire bed.
Thanks for your advise.
Let us know how that works. I've tried leaving my trunk open in the S. CA sunshine on my 2019 RTL-E and it made absolutely no difference. That smell (and the pathetic seat heaters) are really my only two real gripes with this truck so far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Let us know how that works. I've tried leaving my trunk open in the S. CA sunshine on my 2019 RTL-E and it made absolutely no difference. That smell (and the pathetic seat heaters) are really my only two real gripes with this truck so far.
Will do. Also just pulled the drain plug out . Will leave it out for a week or so.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I took delivery of mine about 4 months ago, and I really like it. I've had two issues, and so far only one of them has been fixed.

I just dropped it off for the 2nd time for the hard brake pedal issue. It seems to be temperature sensitive, and the first time in, the dealer replaced the vacuum supply hose to the brake booster. The other issue I took it in for was a leaky trans cooler, which they replaced.

Good luck to you, and enjoy your new truck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've just returned home with a 2019 RTL-E. I posted here about my final impressions (with a couple of lingering regrets) of my well-used 2010 RTL.

First: the 2G is a much more refined vehicle. The 1G was a pleasure to drive, and had no annoying rattles unless I had left something loose. But the 2G is a dream, with much less road and wind noise making its way inside.

Second: Honda has apparently been spanked enough times about its laggard approach to automotive electronics. The non-touchscreen radio on the '10 was horribly out of date, and I replaced it with a nice Sony Bluetooth touchscreen unit years ago. My spouse is leasing a 2016 CR-V Touring model with navigation, and finds the navi feature to be nearly inscrutable. This Ridge has electronics that have evolved from the CR-V. The navi interface does not suck, and everything happens much more quickly. CarPlay is built in, and so I can plug my iPhone in and forget about the Garmin navigation if I prefer.

Third: driving is more comfortable with a telescoping function added to the tilt I had on the previous steering wheel. I'm hoping my spouse finds it more advantageous to bring the steering wheel closer, versus scrunching her seat right up to the dashboard.

Fourth: the heated steering wheel is A Good Thing. Not yet, but in a month or so.

Fifth: even though the profile has changed (it's startling to see the stub nose when I'm used to the front end looking all truckly and everything /forums/images/RidgelineOwnersClub-2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png ) it's still unmistakably a Ridgeline. It maneuvers much like my '10; it just felt right from the moment I took it out on the street. (And yeah, I heard that "clunk" of depreciated value dropping off the vehicle as I made that right turn…)

Everyone falls in love with the vehicle they just purchased, I know. But I'm looking forward to getting to know this one better.

Best part: Dark Cherry Pearl and Deep Scarlet Pearl seem to be almost the same color, so no jarring change in my driveway for the neighbors to notice!
Reading your post, I can see how some 1st gen owners will make all kinds of little, sometimes pathetic, negative remarks about the 2nd gen. I've never owned the first gen but had owned 3 trucks before settling in on a '19 RTLE a couple of months ago. There are some undesirable flaw from the factory that caught my eye on my new ride but nothing big. I take good care of my vehicles and my wish is to last as long as your 1st gen without any premature mechanical or electronic failure. The smooth ride is second to none in comparison with my previous trucks and really love the trunk and dual swing gate. My favorite is the overall feel of the vehicle. I would trade the blind spot monitoring for the lane watch(love that feature on our Pilot), but other than that, it's a great truck with great gas mileage.
I hope your new one will be as dependable and long lasting as the old...congrats!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Time. Takes a while.

Reactions: Shineaholic

·
Registered
37 Posts
I took delivery of mine about 4 months ago, and I really like it. I've had two issues, and so far only one of them has been fixed.

I just dropped it off for the 2nd time for the hard brake pedal issue. It seems to be temperature sensitive, and the first time in, the dealer replaced the vacuum supply hose to the brake booster. The other issue I took it in for was a leaky trans cooler, which they replaced.

Good luck to you, and enjoy your new truck.
Wow, not a good way to start. Hope that this is the last of your issues.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I took delivery of mine about 4 months ago, and I really like it. I've had two issues, and so far only one of them has been fixed. I just dropped it off for the 2nd time for the hard brake pedal issue. It seems to be temperature sensitive, and the first time in, the dealer replaced the vacuum supply hose to the brake booster. The other issue I took it in for was a leaky trans cooler, which they replaced.
I have a new 2019 and really feel for you.
You're from Delaware right? Delaware has a good lemon law. I quote the state administration:

The Delaware Lemon Law covers drivers whose vehicles suffer a nonconformity or defect within the first 12 months that can't be repaired after four (4) attempts by the manufacturer-authorized dealership. If you have three repair attempts, we can still help under the Federal Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

I hope it would never come to that...

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,376 Posts
@bikerbudmatt, et al;

I hope one of you can confirm something for me. Since you have the new 2019 RL, I was hoping you would be willing to confirm or deny if your new 2019 comes with the capless fuel system's new fuel door mounted dust cap (see picture below). This dust cover is part of a technical service bulletin fix (SB 18-018) for the Gen2 and there's roomers that it's now standard on all future RLs but I cannot confirm it. So, did your 2019 come with this fuel door dust cap when you picked it up from the dealer?

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
My "E" is back at the dealer for the 7th time. Brakes, driving aids not working, back up camera not working right, traction control error messages, hood is detaching from understructure and on and on. Only 3K. My windshield was replaced with 40 miles due to laminate issues. The replacement started to do the same thing. If they can't fix the brakes, I won't be in a Honda for very long. You shouldn't have to pump the brakes on a 40K vehicle with 3K on the OD.

Love the handling/ride. The seats. Steering wheel heater, Bed audio, the tailgate/trunk. The sound system. I would miss those.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
@bikerbudmatt, et al; I hope one of you can confirm something for me. Since you have the new 2019 RL, I was hoping you would be willing to confirm or deny if your new 2019 comes with the capless fuel system's new fuel door mounted dust cap (see picture below).
Mine did with the same glob of grease on the hinge.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
No, you should not. I sympathize with you and would feel the same way. Seven times for the same issue is lemon law territory. This is the first truck I have heard of that had so many problems since the wire harness when they first came out. But no de-laminating windshields . I heard of brake issues but flushing and bleeding the brakes solved that issue. I am hoping you get it straightened out fast, it is a great truck and I have 30k on my RTL-E and love it.
My "E" is back at the dealer for the 7th time. Brakes, driving aids not working, back up camera not working right, traction control error messages, hood is detaching from understructure and on and on. Only 3K. My windshield was replaced with 40 miles due to laminate issues. The replacement started to do the same thing. If they can't fix the brakes, I won't be in a Honda for very long. You shouldn't have to pump the brakes on a 40K vehicle with 3K on the OD.

Love the handling/ride. The seats. Steering wheel heater, Bed audio, the tailgate/trunk. The sound system. I would miss those.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts