Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@bikerbudmatt, et al;

I hope one of you can confirm something for me. Since you have the new 2019 RL, I was hoping you would be willing to confirm or deny if your new 2019 comes with the capless fuel system's new fuel door mounted dust cap (see picture below). This dust cover is part of a technical service bulletin fix (SB 18-018) for the Gen2 and there's roomers that it's now standard on all future RLs but I cannot confirm it. So, did your 2019 come with this fuel door dust cap when you picked it up from the dealer?
Yes, it did. It was one of the items I was looking for when I got it home and was able to go over the vehicle in detail.

Reactions: McChizzle

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Reading your post, I can see how some 1st gen owners will make all kinds of little, sometimes pathetic, negative remarks about the 2nd gen. I've never owned the first gen but had owned 3 trucks before settling in on a '19 RTLE a couple of months ago. There are some undesirable flaw from the factory that caught my eye on my new ride but nothing big. I take good care of my vehicles and my wish is to last as long as your 1st gen without any premature mechanical or electronic failure. The smooth ride is second to none in comparison with my previous trucks and really love the trunk and dual swing gate. My favorite is the overall feel of the vehicle. I would trade the blind spot monitoring for the lane watch(love that feature on our Pilot), but other than that, it's a great truck with great gas mileage.
I hope your new one will be as dependable and long lasting as the old...congrats!!!
I think the negative remarks are human nature. The 1G Ridgeline is a quirky, beautiful beast of a vehicle and I can say honestly that the drive was as quiet, dependable, smooth, and powerful on that last trip as it was the day I picked it up. It's easy to get attached to a machine like that when it turns out to be a good partner, and especially if its design and construction saved your life. I'd cut 'em some slack. :wink:

One thing I'll pay better attention to on the 2G is the swing gate hinges and pins. I noticed some corrosion on the 2010's mechanisms—not enough to cause serious trouble, but an early warning sign. I don't think the mechanics paid much attention to lubing door, hood, and swing gate hinges in general.

My spouse's 2016 CR-V has the Lane Watch system, and she has mixed feelings about it. It's a leased vehicle, and so she'll be swapping soon. She says she doesn't care if the next one has it. But then, she was driving me home from the airport last night and I noticed she depended on it twice on a 40 mile drive.

Thanks for the good wishes Duke!

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I bought a 2019 RTL w/out electronics and paid $35k
Curious what you paid if I can ask?
I bought it through Costco; price before taxes etc. was $39K.

A nice part of doing it that way was that by contract any dealer-added "options" are truly options. If you don't want them, you tell them to take them off, or else they swallow it and give them to you. You always have that right, of course, but through Costco it's a true no-haggle experience.

Unlike the dealer close to home that has a "no-haggle" program in place, and quoted me $41.9K as their "best price"—take it or leave it.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My "E" is back at the dealer for the 7th time. Brakes, driving aids not working, back up camera not working right, traction control error messages, hood is detaching from understructure and on and on. Only 3K. My windshield was replaced with 40 miles due to laminate issues. The replacement started to do the same thing. If they can't fix the brakes, I won't be in a Honda for very long. You shouldn't have to pump the brakes on a 40K vehicle with 3K on the OD.

Love the handling/ride. The seats. Steering wheel heater, Bed audio, the tailgate/trunk. The sound system. I would miss those.
That does not sound like a typical Honda experience. Don't know about your lemon law in Texas, but that poor vehicle sounds benighted. It's too soon for me to say, "Well, mine doesn't do that." Not enough experience with 323 miles on the odometer in 6 days.

Good luck with getting things straightened out. You've potentially got a great truck there, but everything's gotta work for it to be the pleasure most of us have enjoyed.

·
Super Moderator
5,354 Posts
I am not sure what is going on, but Consumer Reports is hammering the predicted reliability of the Odyssey, Pilot, Ridgeline, Accord, and the Clarity in their most recent December issue. I know they have consistently rated the Ridgeline at or near the top of all pickups.

Owners must be complaining in mass (is that an oxymoron considering the low sales stats) numbers.

I cannot find the article online, so I will snap a picture when I get a chance.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts
I am not sure what is going on, but Consumer Reports is hammering the predicted reliability of the Odyssey, Pilot, Ridgeline, Accord, and the Clarity in their most recent December issue. I know they have consistently rated the Ridgeline at or near the top of all pickups.

Owners must be complaining in mass (is that an oxymoron considering the low sales stats) numbers.

Considering the amount of issues we see posted here, are you really surprised. I'm not.

It's part of the reason I like my Accord (Built in Japan)

·
Super Moderator
5,354 Posts
Considering the amount of issues we see posted here, are you really surprised. I'm not.

It's part of the reason I like my Accord (Built in Japan)
Subaru is starting to have reoccurring issues also. I bought a Subaru based partly upon Joe's recommendation of the company. Time will tell how that pans out. Presently, 2018 Subaru Outback owners have a 6 month wait (yes, you read that correctly) for head unit replacements that have failed prematurely.

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
374 Posts

There's so much more stuff in the vehicles that this is going to be inevitable. The engine now has VCM, GDI and a number of other measures designed to get 280 HP for a mileage of 18/25 mpg, and still meet tighter emissions requirements. All of this increases the chance of a failure happening. Then you have the usual headaches that come with a new product line. These problems will probably become more apparent as the vehicles log more miles.

If you want to avoid these kinds of troubles, you have to get an older platform, like a Frontier. It'll be cheaper and simpler, but you'll get lower gas mileage and less performance.

BTW, worth noting that the Tacoma is just as mercilessly slammed in the CR article, and IIRC, only the Ridgeline was recommended out of the mid-size class.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
despite all the RL shortcomings - most of which I was aware of pre purchase - I just freaking love this truck - crappy head unit and all
Our standards for "head units" must be pretty high.

Compared to my 2010 RTL's original head unit (which in its defense had a 6-CD changer), and the sat/nav OEM head unit on my spouse's 2016 CR-V (which superficially looks like what I have now, but has some absolutely hateful quirks that make the navigation almost unusable—and we can't ditch it because it's a lease), the RTL-E comes with a big, beautiful, responsive touchscreen that actually works, decent sound, and utterly simple and functional navigation. And if you don't like it, it has absolutely no complaints about switching to Apple CarPlay, which is even better.

Just sayin'. And I'm still getting accustomed to the switch from the 2010, but I love how familiar and yet contemporary the RTL-E has felt from Day One.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Oh, and have I mentioned that my 2019 Ridgeline came standard with a full two-note horn?

I have been reading (and cringing at) all the descriptions of the pathetic single horn on the 2017 and 2018 versions. And I don't know if the real horn is now standard across the line, so apologies if I'm unintentionally rubbing something in for other 2019 owners.

I was fully prepared to go to an aftermarket horn based on the many pieces of good advice posted here.

But, this is better!

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
2019-T bought late May, so far so good. Had the block heater installed and will do a dry run tonight, its getting a bit chilly and dont want issues in the future when temps dip below -20 and you need it. Brakes, heating, heating seats, AC, all electrical monitors, have been just fine. No mods yet just a Access bed cover and the block heater. Im more interested in the snow depth and getting to work, this will be interesting and a deal breaker in the future. Its been great this summer no problems on the easy trails. That being said I didnt spend $37,000 on a 2019 RTL E that might make it on all that heavy abusive over the road stuff I have other off road things for that fun stuff and it blows any truck away. All good here..................

·
Registered
66 Posts
2019- No mods yet just a Access bed cover and the block heater. Im more interested in the snow depth and getting to work, this will be interesting and a deal breaker in the future.
I was wondering what modifications you've made or are thinking of making. I've put 245/70/17 AT tires on mine - no rubbing - just to be certain I can make it through the snow and ice with a bit of a 'lift' because of the larger tire. Are you relying on the OEM wheels to get you through the winter?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
If ya'll are worried about clearance, you might want to check out the skid plates for the front and rear. I don't much worry about snow, here in Texas, but after one trip to the recycle plant to dump bush/tree trimmings and I put both of them on. The oil pan and rear diff had a bunch of the mulch imbedded in them that they use for the road bed. I've also put skid plates on my past trucks and some low profile cars due to the crazy amount of road debris present on highways here. I can't imagine what ice would do...Probably being overly protective, but...

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
^^^Problem is, the front skid plate sacrifices ground clearance for protection, so it's a win/lose situation. Many years ago, I put a large skid plate on a Subaru wagon for protection during off-pavement travel. The next winter while driving through deep snow on skiing trips, I discovered the skid plate acted like a ramp when encountering packed snow. As a result, the car was prone to high centering on the skid plate. Digging it out was a major hassle, which meant I had to be much more careful about "plowing" through heavy snow than before I put the skid plate on. I don't know whether a front skid plate would cause a similar problem in deep snow with the much-heavier RL or not.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I am not sure what is going on, but Consumer Reports is hammering the predicted reliability of the Odyssey, Pilot, Ridgeline, Accord, and the Clarity in their most recent December issue...
I just got my hard copy. I'm seeing CR's slam of the Odyssey for "trouble spots" with in-car electronics, power equipment and body hardware. So they've withdrawn their "Recommended" rating for the Odyssey and Clarity because those models have dropped below average in reliability scores. But a few pages later, CR shows the Ridgeline (and Pilot) holding onto its middling/average reliability rating, which is comparable to the Frontier and better than the Colorado/Canyon and Tacoma. Also, in the comparison table with the new Subaru Ascent road test report, the Pilot is still a "Recommended" mid-sized SUV. Of course, I'd like to see a higher rating for the RL, but this doesn't look like a dive in G2 reliability to me -- at least not yet.

In the updated overall brand reliability table, Honda has dropped six places since last year to land at #15, while Acura has clawed its way back up six places to #13 this year. You can bet that Honda execs are NOT happy being rated in the lower half of the "average" category for reliability, which is considerably below Kia, Subaru, Mazda and Toyota. Question is, what are they doing to fix this???

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's mostly the processing speed that bogs it down - I think my motorola flip phone had more processing power
- I am 95% good with the interface - could use a few minor tweeks.

If you really want to see a good interface, check out the new accord - fast and a much better layout

Our standards for "head units" must be pretty high.

Compared to my 2010 RTL's original head unit (which in its defense had a 6-CD changer), and the sat/nav OEM head unit on my spouse's 2016 CR-V (which superficially looks like what I have now, but has some absolutely hateful quirks that make the navigation almost unusable—and we can't ditch it because it's a lease), the RTL-E comes with a big, beautiful, responsive touchscreen that actually works, decent sound, and utterly simple and functional navigation. And if you don't like it, it has absolutely no complaints about switching to Apple CarPlay, which is even better.

Just sayin'. And I'm still getting accustomed to the switch from the 2010, but I love how familiar and yet contemporary the RTL-E has felt from Day One.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
It's mostly the processing speed that bogs it down - I think my motorola flip phone had more processing power
- I am 95% good with the interface - could use a few minor tweeks.

If you really want to see a good interface, check out the new accord - fast and a much better layout
Yup. Again, my comparison is with the navi unit on my spouse's 2016 CR-V, which is almost unbearable to use because of the response time.

The only area where I've really noticed a bog-down is the voice interface. It gives you no indication that it heard you, and it takes a couple of second before it interprets even one of the menu commands in its own interface. That could be processor speed, or it could be programming skill (or lack thereof).

One other small improvement I've noticed between the two is that the 2019 RL navi unit doesn't force you to go back to the very beginning if you make a typo.

In general I'm loving CarPlay, and especially the interface for Waze, which makes good use of the big type and big screen. But the Honda/Garmin Navi is very usable in my opinion. (As long as I don't try talking to it.)

Reactions: MD-Ridge

·
Registered
242 Posts
So it's no longer a truck??? I was wondering which way they would go, continuing to try and turn it into a super-truck, or turn it into one of those glorified car things...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts