Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2019 RTL. I really wanted to have the larger screen that came with the RTL-T and RTL-E, but wasn't able to pony up for the extra cost associated to it. I was interested in either getting an OEM navigation (used - if they can be installed), or go with an aftermarket option, which I have seen JVP, Kenwood, and Alpine.

Hoping a few others might have done this before and have some recommendations. I had a 2007 RTL w/Nav and my biggest issue was the outdated maps. I was especially interested in something that would have Apple CarPlay, or the option to use Waze so that I didn't fine myself in the same predicament. Keeping the backup camera is an essential need, and I would really hope there would be an option to keep the steering wheel controls for volume as well.

Please let me know what you have done, pics if you have them. Wonder if Best Buy still does installs like they did back in the day.

Thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
Yeah, the radio system in the RTL is a bit outdated compared to other makes. But, I do have to ask, why do you want a built in GPS nav when the phone you already have does everything you need ? Any radio will have outdated maps and carplay while nice isn't all that great IMO. Now if you are asking if a nicer radio system can be installed with better sound and better features then yeah for sure go aftermarket. But that will cost ya too. Probably around a g note for something very nice. As to the 2nd part of your question about BB, yep they do installs still. I've seen some people on here post that they did their RL install.

As for a Radio to install. There's a guy on here who put a Q9 system into a RTL and it was a very nice setup. Maybe he'll come along and post something about it. As for my RTL, I'm happy enough with the stock radio for now. Still have though about something else down the road but not in my immediate future. I've learned to handle the quirks of the "color radio" and it's been ok. Not great but "ok - i'm keeping it as is".

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice there. I'm not one that would usually want to upgrade or touch anything stock, but it would be nice to have an in-dash navigation, and while I haven't used carplay, I was assuming it would be able to just display what is on my phone. In addition, the rear backup camera is basically useless as it is so tiny...feels like I'm working with a flip-phone screen compared to an iphone plus. My 2007 G1 had a very large navigation display and while the map was outdated, it was nice to use when the phone isn't getting the best reception.

I'll check on all the leads above! thank you again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts