Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2019 RTL-T 2WD. The more I drive it, the more I suspect there might be an issue with the way the engine is responding to my request for acceleration. Looking for any info you all might have.
Here is what I’ve noticed: At any speed, usually 50mph, if I come completely off the pedal and coast for 2 or 3 seconds and then apply light or moderate pressure to the pedal, the RPMs will take a splitsecond to respond and when they do, it will spike up 500 or so but then there is an immediate reduction of 300-400 rpms almost back to where it was when I tried accelerating. It seems like its not responding properly. I’m used to a very responsive pedal. I’ve owned 4 Hondas - most recently an Element and Accord. Both very responsive pedals. This Ridgeline seems sluggish. I find myself having to drive with a much heavier foot than I’m used to.

Has anybody had or known of any issues that would cause this kind of lag in acceleration? Or is this normal? I expect this reduction when in ECO mode, but not in regular mode.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Took me awhile to get used to my 2019. Throttle and transmission response was different than my 2017. Guess it required a little break in period so all systems would get used to my driving habits. At 2k miles all seems well and good. I drive it in ECO all the time now. Performs as well in ECO as well as the 17 did in non ECO. Non ECO mode is wow on the 19. Throttle and transmission response is crazy.

·
Registered
477 Posts
ECON on my 19-BE is awful with responsiveness. I hardly ever use it now.

Somewhere halfway between ECON and off would be great. I suppose the Sprint Booster could solve that.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Took me awhile to get used to my 2019. Throttle and transmission response was different than my 2017. Guess it required a little break in period so all systems would get used to my driving habits. At 2k miles all seems well and good. I drive it in ECO all the time now. Performs as well in ECO as well as the 17 did in non ECO. Non ECO mode is wow on the 19. Throttle and transmission response is crazy.
I really dislike a "jumpy" throttle where we too also just typically leave Saffie in ECON mode.

Bill

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
197 Posts
We've had our '19 a little over a month. The wife has been using it more than me. As long as it starts, runs, steers, & brakes; she's happy.
Today I drove it about 40 miles. My first real experience with it. It certainly has the "Fly by wire" thing going on. Poor throttle response & slow to decide what gear in the trans. I don't like it, but I'm thinking it's normal for this vehicle. I'll adapt.
Oh yea, one more thing. I did a hard stop testing the brakes & the pedal never firmed up. It decelerated like it should, but mushy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've owned a lot of Honda/Acuras with the same basic drive as the Ridgeline like the current '18 RDX V6 AWD my wife drives (Basically everything is the same). The Ridgeline has significantly slower response (even then my Pilots). My best guess is that this is bery much on purpose and designed this way since the Ridgeline is a truck and needs to behave like a truck at times (ex. Towing) so everything is a little "safer". Our RDX is pretty snappy at the accelerator and I dont think that would be a good thing if towing 5000 pounds.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Purchased my RL in late October. I put it in ECON mode after about 3 weeks. It has been in ECON mode ever since.
Current MPG is between 22.3 and 23.1 in city traffic. However, the definition of city traffic may be different for everyone.
In my case, traffic lights are usually 4 city blocks or more between each light and speed limit is 45 mph. I commute daily about 50 miles one way on average. Pedal response is instantaneous. When I accelerate it responds immediately in ECON mode. I may try driving without ECON mode to see if there is any difference. Haven't had the truck on an extended highway trip yet to see what mileage will be. So far I am completely happy with the way the vehicle responds to my request for acceleration. I have a RL RTL FWD. Have no need for AWD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought my pedal felt a little soft at first but I haven't had any issues. Maybe it's just tuned that way? It takes off fine when I get a little heavy footed.

Mod note: fixed the spelling for you.
Check your eco switch, if it’s on turn it off, because it will delay your acceleration to save fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently purchased a 2019 RTL-T 2WD. The more I drive it, the more I suspect there might be an issue with the way the engine is responding to my request for acceleration. Looking for any info you all might have.
Here is what I’ve noticed: At any speed, usually 50mph, if I come completely off the pedal and coast for 2 or 3 seconds and then apply light or moderate pressure to the pedal, the RPMs will take a splitsecond to respond and when they do, it will spike up 500 or so but then there is an immediate reduction of 300-400 rpms almost back to where it was when I tried accelerating. It seems like its not responding properly. I’m used to a very responsive pedal. I’ve owned 4 Hondas - most recently an Element and Accord. Both very responsive pedals. This Ridgeline seems sluggish. I find myself having to drive with a much heavier foot than I’m used to.

Has anybody had or known of any issues that would cause this kind of lag in acceleration? Or is this normal? I expect this reduction when in ECO mode, but not in regular mode.
I have identical issues. I never know what to expect when I step on the gas, regular take off, roaring take off or worse yet, nothing. Which puts me at risk when entering traffic or exiting a tollbooth. I have 10m miles.2019. Dealer not much help so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: I took it to the dealer and their head technician drove it with me and said he didn’t see/feel any issues. I still feel that it’s strange when pushing the accelerator that the RPMs stay steady or actually drop slightly. I’ve never driven a vehicle that didn’t respond positively when giving it the gas. He kept saying the transmission is acting normally, but I never thought the shifting was an issue. It felt more like a throttle control issue.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
We just returned from a couple of hundred mile cross country, several passes, and our 2019 RTL accelerates just fine, even in ECON. I am going to be real curious to find out what is wrong with the rest of yours and hope that it is not contagious.

Bill

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just tried ECON on mine for the first time and it doesn't seem to me like it was helping save fuel. I guess if I was really heavy footed it might. My impression was that you had to push the pedal at least twice as far to get similar response. So when I tried to drive it the same way I usually do it seemed like it was struggling and the AVG MPG meter stayed stuck in the lower quarter a lot longer. I gave up on the experiment pretty quickly so I don't know if it would have worked out in the long run or not, but I didn't like driving it that way.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Now, this is just a hunch, but I get the feeling that the ECON mode does it's better job while one is using the cruise control?

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts