Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my RL back from the audio shop. Here's my dashboard with the Pioneer head unit installed. Everything was connected via adapters (no cutting or splicing). I'm happy with the install. Total cost for Pioneer HU, face plate, installation kit, adapters, and labor was $950.

IMG_0911.jpg
IMG_0912.jpg
IMG_0913.jpg

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Looks terrific. Is that an 8" in place of the original 5" ?

Do all the functions work, including steering wheel controls, camera, etc.? Does that unit have Sirius/XM capability?

TIA

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks terrific. Is that an 8" in place of the original 5" ?

Do all the functions work, including steering wheel controls, camera, etc.? Does that unit have Sirius/XM capability?

TIA
That looks great -
Could you identify which head unit this is?
The HU is a Pioneer MVH-1400NEX. It is a larger screen than the stock one. All the functions work except the three phone control tabs on the left side of the steering wheel (8 o'clock position on the steering wheel). I thought this might be an issue, but I was traveling in the RL today and used the text and phone function throughout the day with no issues. With this unit, I can used Siri to make calls, send texts, and get directions with voice commands.

This HU has XM satellite radio capability. I have not activated it (yet) but the capability is there.

The back up camera visual is not as defined as the stock unit. I spoke with the shop owner and I am going to bring the RL back next week so he can adjust it.

I am impressed with the unit and the professional installation.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The HU is a Pioneer MVH-1400NEX. It is a larger screen than the stock one. All the functions work except the three phone control tabs on the left side of the steering wheel (8 o'clock position on the steering wheel). I thought this might be an issue, but I was traveling in the RL today and used the text and phone function throughout the day with no issues. With this unit, I can used Siri to make calls, send texts, and get directions with voice commands.

This HU has XM satellite radio capability. I have not activated it (yet) but the capability is there.

The back up camera visual is not as defined as the stock unit. I spoke with the shop owner and I am going to bring the RL back next week so he can adjust it.

I am impressed with the unit and the professional installation.
Thanks for sharing your experience with this. I have a 2019 RTL too and am contemplating what to do with the head unit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice. I just did a self install of the 2550-NEX. Love it. it's in a 2019 RTL.

Same as you, cannot get the HFT (3 phone buttons) to work, but with AndroidAuto, not missing them too terrible (just annoyed at dead buttons).

The Face kit though; top part kind of "popped" up from the dash; it's only noticeable if you put your fingers on top of it, or look close through the windshield. Annoying enough i'll probably rip the dash apart again though.

·
Administrator
15,701 Posts
Looks good! If not for the Pioneer logo, I bet it would pass as factory to a non-Honda person.

I do find it ironic that you "upgraded" from a volume knob to touch controls. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Looks good! If not for the Pioneer logo, I bet it would pass as factory to a non-Honda person.

I do find it ironic that you "upgraded" from a volume knob to touch controls. ;)
There are very few aftermarket HUs that have AA/CarPlay AND a volume knob. The aftermarket has jumped on the tablet form factor and are trying to force the market in that direction because it's cheaper and easier for the manufacturers. If you want a knob, it's gonna cost ya...

·
Administrator
15,701 Posts
Interesting, but understandable. I used to install car audio, phones (!), and alarms when I was in high school. It's been nearly three decades since I replaced a factory radio with an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The bluetooth connection with my Motorola G5 Plus is a bit unreliable, especially with Pandora. How does the Pioneer work? Any better?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
This might work better as a separate post, but will ask here for now.

We had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with factory audio that included a hard drive - thinking maybe 30 gig? - that stored music. We'd load CDs onto it; and if I remember right there was a USB for transferring from a phone, etc. It was so easy to keep a ton of music handy - used it all the time.

When we traded the Jeep and asked if that setup was available the dealer looked at us like we were from space (or maybe it was my haircut, lol). Our son in law said the market didn't jump onto that bandwagon, and I guess he was right.

Selected our 2019 RTL because of the overall value it represented, but also thinking we could upgrade the head unit at some point. Are any of you familiar with that hard drive format, and whether it might be available somewhere?

·
Administrator
15,701 Posts
We had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with factory audio that included a hard drive - thinking maybe 30 gig? - that stored music. We'd load CDs onto it; and if I remember right there was a USB for transferring from a phone, etc. It was so easy to keep a ton of music handy - used it all the time.

When we traded the Jeep and asked if that setup was available the dealer looked at us like we were from space (or maybe it was my haircut, lol). Our son in law said the market didn't jump onto that bandwagon, and I guess he was right.
My 2008 Infiniti G35 did that. The feature was called "Music box". Starting in 2011, Ford called it "Jukebox". GM called it "Hard Drive Device". Ford and GM were sued in 2014 by the AARC for copyright violations associated with CD ripping and the feature disappeared. As of late last year, the automakers were still fighting the multi-million dollar fines in court.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My 2008 Infiniti G35 did that. The feature was called "Music box". Starting in 2011, Ford called it "Jukebox". GM called it "Hard Drive Device". Ford and GM were sued in 2014 by the AARC for copyright violations associated with CD ripping and the feature disappeared. As of late last year, the automakers were still fighting the multi-million dollar fines in court.
That makes sense - thanks for the "rest of the story"! My son in law might've told me that, but I have poor listening skills...except for music listening skills :).

Bummer though...loved that feature. You'd think that by buying the music, whether on CD or downloading, I'd be entitled to use it in any device I have. I mean it's on my Mac hard drive, phone, etc., and I guess that's fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bluetooth connection with my Motorola G5 Plus is a bit unreliable, especially with Pandora. How does the Pioneer work? Any better?
I can't say if the Pioneer works better than your Motorola as I have no personal knowledge of that unit, but I can tell you that I have zero problems with Bluetooth in the Pioneer unit.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I can't say if the Pioneer works better than your Motorola as I have no personal knowledge of that unit, but I can tell you that I have zero problems with Bluetooth in the Pioneer unit.
The Motorola is the phone. It doesn't always play nice with OEM head unit. I had a simpler Pioneer on my previous truck and I had similar problems there, too. It may just be the phone.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have found Pandora to bomb out. And I mean bomb out when I’m using the app on an iphone with Apple Air Pod Pros, Powerbeats bros, or either of my headunits, one aftermarket in the truck, a Pioneer, or the factory head unit in my daily driver. If it gets paused as in hitting pause on my pods at the gym, I press play and nothing, Pandora is dead. I have to close the app completely, wait a second then relaunch, then it works again. And that’s OEM Apple equipment all the way around. Get the same issue with either headunit as well. Listening, shut the vehicle down. Re-enter, and it fires back up on its’ own 60 to 70 percent of the time. 30 percent of the time I have to close the app on my phone, launch it again, starts working again. Used to not be this way, but with iOS updates many times a year, app updates, etc, just how it is. Other music apps I use do not do this.

·
Registered
375 Posts
One quick fix I've found is to change from Pandora on the head unit to bluetooth. Pandora will play through that. Then, about 15 seconds later, I go back to Pandora and everything's fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts