Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
02/05/20 update:

After about 1 month with the Pioneer HU, I am mostly satisfied with the upgrade. There is one issue that I am not happy with, and that is being corrected today. When the unit was installed, the back-up camera was set on the wide angle view. This is completely useless when attempting to back into a tight space or to a trailer. Additionally, the view does not go to all corners. It is more of an oval fish eye type of view. The shop that installed it is working on correcting the issue. I will report back after the fix.

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
You can install a 3-position switch to select between the three views with an aftermarket HU. Information is in the thread below:

·
Registered
412 Posts
We had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with factory audio that included a hard drive - thinking maybe 30 gig? - that stored music. We'd load CDs onto it; and if I remember right there was a USB for transferring from a phone, etc. It was so easy to keep a ton of music handy - used it all the time.

When we traded the Jeep and asked if that setup was available the dealer looked at us like we were from space (or maybe it was my haircut, lol). Our son in law said the market didn't jump onto that bandwagon, and I guess he was right.

Selected our 2019 RTL because of the overall value it represented, but also thinking we could upgrade the head unit at some point. Are any of you familiar with that hard drive format, and whether it might be available somewhere?
Bose once made home stereo units with this same feature. The biggest drawback was when the HDD died, it was seriously expensive to get them replaced and usually not worth it. Probably even more so with automotive head units. Why not just put your music on a portable HDD and hide it in your console or glove box? Much easier to replace too, if it dies.

That makes sense - thanks for the "rest of the story"! My son in law might've told me that, but I have poor listening skills...except for music listening skills :).

Bummer though...loved that feature. You'd think that by buying the music, whether on CD or downloading, I'd be entitled to use it in any device I have. I mean it's on my Mac hard drive, phone, etc., and I guess that's fine.
Actually, it is fair use and this was decided on years ago. It is not however considered fair use to share or give those files away. the RIAA gave into this years ago (2006?) after the DMCA lawsuits went totally crazy over this crap. The RIAA still doesn't like it, but lawsuits have stopped, mostly (against individuals anyway). Besides, who still buys CDs anyway? Mostly nowadays, it's streaming, purchasing files online and vinyl (wow, can you believe that?).

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Bose once made home stereo units with this same feature. The biggest drawback was when the HDD died, it was seriously expensive to get them replaced and usually not worth it. Probably even more so with automotive head units. Why not just put your music on a portable HDD and hide it in your console or glove box? Much easier to replace too, if it dies.

Actually, it is fair use and this was decided on years ago. It is not however considered fair use to share or give those files away. the RIAA gave into this years ago (2006?) after the DMCA lawsuits went totally crazy over this crap. The RIAA still doesn't like it, but lawsuits have stopped, mostly (against individuals anyway). Besides, who still buys CDs anyway? Mostly nowadays, it's streaming, purchasing files online and vinyl (wow, can you believe that?).
Maybe so, but had no problem with our Jeep's hard drive in 7 years of ownership, and it is extremely nice to collect music right there....especially when you keep the vehicle a long time, like we tend to do.

I do have a portable drive and now use it; works, but that's not as convenient (to us) as having the music onboard. It's "there" when you get in, there's no device to forget/leave in another car, no battery to peter out, etc. And our current vehicles cost a lot of $ (at 37k the Ridgeline is the cheapest of the three); doesn't seem like a giant additional luxury to have storage in the system. I mean the vehicles warm our *sses, for crying out loud.

CDs, streaming, vinyl or whatever medium....I paid for the music and should be allowed to use it. I can understand, however, if the hard-drive systems were more popular I'm sure the manufacturers would still be selling them. The market speaks and they have to listen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mercu136,
Thank you so much for sharing. I just bought a new ‘19 RTL and would like to do the same conversion. How do you connect your phone to the unit? Are you able to connect via the in dash USB?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Very nice. I have the 4500NEX. Been happy with Pioneer.
Just wondering how you like the 4500NEX after experiencing it for quite a while.

Also, do the steering wheel controls and backup camera work well with this unit?

TIA

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Overall I am satisfied. It is not perfect though. The rear camera issue has been corrected, but it is way to dim during the day. Any type of bright light and it washes out the screen. Additionally, at night, the screen is so bright I have to put a cloth or bandana over it as it glows so bright it lights up the entire cabin. There is a day/night setting, but it does not correct the situation. It would be better if it was controlled by the dimmer switch in the truck but that's not the case.

If I had to do it again, I would not spend the money. Just my opinion, and you know what that's worth.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just wondering how you like the 4500NEX after experiencing it for quite a while.

Also, do the steering wheel controls and backup camera work well with this unit?

TIA
Overall I am satisfied. It is not perfect though. The rear camera issue has been corrected, but it is way to dim during the day. Any type of bright light and it washes out the screen. Additionally, at night, the screen is so bright I have to put a cloth or bandana over it as it glows so bright it lights up the entire cabin. There is a day/night setting, but it does not correct the situation. It would be better if it was controlled by the dimmer switch in the truck but that's not the case.

If I had to do it again, I would not spend the money. Just my opinion, and you know what that's worth.
You need to take it back to your installer. Apparently they didn't hook up the dimming circuit. Your Pioneer should most certainly have this. The dimming circuit needs to be taken from the (mostly) unused CD player harness below the head unit. It works perfect with my Kenwood.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very nice!
Does it have Navigon and if so, can you type in it while you're on the move? (unlike stock one)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts