Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2019 rtl with 41000 miles and am having the transmission judder. I don't tow, mostly drive small highways (50-60 mph), and pretty flat. I did one flush when MM told me.

I have read a bunch of post of the 2017 judder and it seems like the same thing. I called the dealer and they said that tsb 17-025 and 026 isn't for my 2019. I questioned him about my truck having the same 6 transmission/torque converter and said that the torque converter was changed for 2019.

Dealer said to bring it in. I told him I would do the triple flush first and if that didn't fix it I would bring it in.

Is the transmission/torque converter covered under warranty? (I do not have extended)
Anyone else having this issue with the 2019?
Is there any bulletin that covers the 2019?
Did Honda change the torque converter?
Finally, thoughts of what I should do?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thx

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,231 Posts
Anything internal to the powertrain should be covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Therefore, the torque converter should be covered.

The pressure switches / solenoids on the six-speed are also prone to failure, but since they are external to the transmission, they are not covered. On the plus side, they are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. On the minus side, it can be difficult to tell which pressure switch / solenoid is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything internal to the powertrain should be covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Therefore, the torque converter should be covered.

The pressure switches / solenoids on the six-speed are also prone to failure, but since they are external to the transmission, they are not covered. On the plus side, they are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. On the minus side, it can be difficult to tell which pressure switch / solenoid is malfunctioning.
Thx longboat,

Do u know the part numbers?
If they are cheap and the flush doesn't work, I could just replace them.

Or have dealer diagnose it first Incase it is the converter?

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,231 Posts
I don't have the part numbers. If the pressure switches / solenoids are failing, that would result in harsh shifts rather than a judder.

I would have the dealer check it out. If the TC or trans is failing, you would want to have that repaired sooner rather than later. The dealer may try to get out of warranty work, though, since he would make more money by charging you directly. If that happens, fight with them, take it to Honda Corporate, or try a different dealer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was feeling some judder shortly before the mm told me to change, around 42000. I did a 1x change and it stopped. I’m coming up on the next oil change and I’ll throw in a 1x trans change for good measure. It’s been solid since the first trans change.

i think I smoked the original fluid on a 300 mi drive into a 30mph headwind. It felt at the time I was being hard on it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was feeling some judder shortly before the mm told me to change, around 42000. I did a 1x change and it stopped. I’m coming up on the next oil change and I’ll throw in a 1x trans change for good measure. It’s been solid since the first trans change.

i think I smoked the original fluid on a 300 mi drive into a 30mph headwind. It felt at the time I was being hard on it.
Thx, nice to know when u changed fluid it went away. I should be getting the MM reminder any time now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Change the fluid AND filter (external) and you're likely to see positive results. If results seen, I recommend trans fluid drain and fill (normal 1 time) on future OCI's if you are getting about 6-8k out of your OCI's. The above worked for me in my '17E and I tow a healthy amount.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I would be very doubtful about damaging the transmission fluid simply by driving into a headwind. On our trips while towing our cargo trailer we have encountered even stronger headwinds than you noted, including climbing over several mountain passes, and the highest temp we have noted to date on the ScanGauge have remained under 200 degrees. Please describe further what you are thinking is "judder?"
Bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thx bigt, nice to know someone else was experiencing it at almost the exact same mileage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would be very doubtful about damaging the transmission fluid simply by driving into a headwind. On our trips while towing our cargo trailer we have encountered even stronger headwinds than you noted, including climbing over several mountain passes, and the highest temp we have noted to date on the ScanGauge have remained under 200 degrees. Please describe further what you are thinking is "judder?"
Bill
At light acceleration on flat road, I see the tach going up and down 500 rpms.
I don't feel it in the motor. It's not major but because it's a somewhat known, I wanted to get a head of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts