Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

2020 changes

285K views 888 replies 160 participants last post by  zroger73 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's an article that consolidates all the known changes to the 2020 Ridgeline:

The refreshed 2020 Honda Ridgeline exchanges its 6-speed automatic transmission for a 9-speed unit and introduces paddle shifters and idle stop. A pushbutton shifter replaces a traditional shift lever and a traditional battery has been replaced by an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) model. The tailgate can be locked and the number of trim levels have been reduced. Honda’s 8″ Display Audio system is now standard on all trims. The rear doors open wider and Honda Sensing becomes standard across the board. Prices increase by as little as $100 to as much as $2,050 depending on model.

#20 ·
For 2017-2019, the RTL-T had LaneWatch, but not BSM. The RTL-E/BE had BSM, but not LaneWatch. Since there is no RTL-T for 2020, perhaps LaneWatch is being moved to the RTL or RTL and Sport trims.

In Canada, the Sport and EX-L have LaneWatch, so there's also the possibility that LaneWatch in the US is no longer available since the only trim that had it is gone. Some 2020 Canadian trims may retain the feature.

The only things I'm seeing different in the manual for the Canadian version are that it has a heated windshield, light switch works differently, and the stop-start button works a little differently.

**Ventilated seats does not say Canadian only. Also rear heated seats does not say Canadian only. Some of you have may have gotten your wish there!
The heated windshield wiper area has always been a Canadian-only feature for the 2017-2019 Ridgeline.

It's true that the 2020 manual doesn't say "Canadian only" when referring to ventilated seats, but neither did the 2017-2019 manual.

Now, I am new to the Ridgeline world, so I'm not 100% sure of the features of 2019 models. However, after reading the posts in this and the 2020 release date threads, it seems to me that these are new features for 2020 mentioned in the Owners Manual:

• Auto High Beam
  • Power Folding Door Mirrors
  • Push Button Gear Shifter
  • Ventilated Front Seats
  • Heated Rear Seats
Apologies if any of these are existing features.
For 2017-2019 only the RTL-E and BE had auto high beams. This appears to remain true.

Power folding mirrors were a Canadian-only feature for 2017-2019 along with ventilated front seats and heated rear seats as well.

#4 ·
Thanks @zroger73, that answers all my questions. Shame about the headlights and that won't bode well for the IIHS ratings. Like I said a a few months back the only sure thing was to get the 19E at discount. For the 20 Sport and 20 RTL, that's still a lot of extra stuff, carplay radio, the 9 speed (paddle shifters) and sensing for 450 bucks. I still think a 19E discounted is the best equipped truck for long term ownership and needs no modifications.

For the 2020 headlights on the lower trims there is a guy on the Accord forum and he tests all the bulbs. He says that a halogen is equivalent to a LED bulb and a HID is a better solution for aftermarket.

#9 ·
Moderator's note: Since the topic of this thread is "2020 release date" (which can still be discussed since it hasn't been officially announced yet), I have created a thread titled "2020 changes" where we can continue such discussion.

My take on the delay in announcement:
1. Excess inventory
2. The gremlins with the infotainment system. My guess is that they wanted to implement the new infotainment system and they tried ironing out the kinks, but ultimately they couldn't do it in time.
I'm taking bets on an early 2021 release.

#21 ·
My take on the delay in announcement:
1. Excess inventory
2. The gremlins with the infotainment system. My guess is that they wanted to implement the new infotainment system and they tried ironing out the kinks, but ultimately they couldn't do it in time.
I'm taking bets on an early 2021 release.
Ridgeline sales have been relatively steady for the past 3.5 years, so It's easy for Honda to determine how many 2019's to make to avoid "excess" inventory.

On the 6-speed the normal D position allows all 6 gears. D4 limits you to gears 1-4. L limits to 1-3.

on low speed descents even in L, you get almost no help from compression braking.
I think the 9-speed is certain to be a significant improvement there.
Steve
L limits the transmission to 2, not 3, when accelerating. You can downshift to L at any speed, but the transmission won't downshift to 2 until it's going slow enough that the engine won't hit redline.

I've been reading through the owners manual and it appears that the trunk is also power lock/unlock. Am I reading that right?
The Ridgeline's trunk has always locked and unlocked with the doors.

Yup!

"When you lock the driver’s door with a key, all the other doors and trunk lock at the same time. When unlocking, the driver’s door unlocks first. Turn the key a second time within a few seconds to unlock the remaining doors and the trunk."
There's a difference between unlocking and opening. On all Ridgelines, the trunk only opens by pressing the trunk release button on the trunk lid or inserting and turning the key in the trunk lid

Reactions: monkeyman
#14 ·
Now, I am new to the Ridgeline world, so I'm not 100% sure of the features of 2019 models. However, after reading the posts in this and the 2020 release date threads, it seems to me that these are new features for 2020 mentioned in the Owners Manual:

• Auto High Beam
  • Power Folding Door Mirrors
  • Push Button Gear Shifter
  • Ventilated Front Seats
  • Heated Rear Seats

Apologies if any of these are existing features.

#83 ·

• Auto High Beam

• Apologies if any of these are existing features.
Auto high beams have been around on RTL-E and BE since 2017. Perhaps other trims too. It’s one of my favorite features on my 2017 RTL-E.

#24 ·
On this radio, is it correct that there are no OTA updates?

Has it gotten even slower at times with people using it on Android auto? It annoyed me on the test drive.

I'm really bummed they didn't put the new infotainment in. I know people say there are issues, buy friends and family haven't seen them. Now they also don't have the additional screens in the headrests on their Honda's. So simpler setup than many, maybe that's making them glitch.

#27 ·
Since I assume the seat heat switches/buttons are resistor based, I wonder if it would be as simple as retrofitting the new push button switches to get warmer seat heat in the 2017-2019 models. Probably more trouble than it is worth unless you can snag parts from a junkyard at some point for relatively cheap.

Bummed to see no wireless charging mentioned in the manual. Was hoping to retrofit that into mine. I still may try to find the parts from a Pilot and give it a go.

#28 ·
The rocker switches are electromechanical and use relays to operate the heating elements in the seat in either a series or parallel configuration for low or high, respectively.

The seat heaters in models with the pushbutton switches are electronically controlled using a heated seat control modules that communicates with other modules.

Both systems heat the seats, but go about it in a completely different way.

it says AGM battery which comes with the stop-start and 9spd. But I also see "shift lever" in those instructions which is confusing.
The PDI instructions also refer to a volume knob, which no longer exists according to the Owner's Manual.

#36 ·
No - it's the opposite, actually. Torque vectoring sends engine power to specific wheels. Agile Handling Assist applies the brakes on specific wheels. Basically, torque vectoring helps the vehicle turn while accelerating whereas AHA helps turn the vehicle while decelerating.

#34 ·
Based on dealer ordering information, PDI instructions, and the owner's manual, here's what we know about the 2020 Ridgeline so far:

The RT and RTL-T trims have been deleted leaving the Sport, RTL, RTL-E, and Black Edition.

All trims receive the ZF 9HP 9-speed automatic transmission that also includes paddle shifters, idle stop, and an AGM battery.

The Sport trim gains Honda Sensing and a touch screen Display Audio system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support.

The RTL trim gains the same features as the Sport. Also, 3-level pushbutton heat seater controls replace the 2-level rocker switches.

That's it. Same instrument cluster, no volume knob, no styling changes, no infotainment system upgrades.
Thank you for the update! I have been following the release date thread for many months waiting to see if the 2020 would be worth the wait. Your in depth contributions to this forum are sincerely impressive and appreciated by all.
Michael

#35 ·
I am not going to lie, I was looking forward to at least a new grill and wheel offering on the 2020.

#38 ·
Agreed. I think Honda shot themselves in the foot here if the grill remains the same. A new grill would add value to older and newer G2 trims.

What are the chances that a different grill actually has been implemented, given that no one has actually seen a 2020 G2 and that it would likely require no changes to the PDI?

#44 ·
Honda would probably sell more ridgelines in 2020 if they got real with the overall appearance. Not saying the truck is ugly but lets face it, even though it's ten times better looking than the G1 it's still somewhat drab. And many buyers out there will go for looks over reliability. Look how many GM trucks are running around out there. Iv'e been down the it's beautiful so I'm buying it road and Iv'e hated myself for it. After all beauty is only skin deep.

#46 · (Edited)
Honda would probably sell more Ridgelines just as they exist today if they had the capacity to build more and actively marketed them.

That hideous joke that is the Tesla Cybertruck received over 200,000 pre-orders in less than three days - that's more than the number of Ridgelines sold in the last decade! Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder and even ugly trucks sell - remember the Tundra stepside? ;)

#58 ·
Not sure about everyone else but I would like to see more only so they don't discontinue the Ridgeline :) It is nice being a unique truck but if it's the lowest selling platform it could easily make the chopping block. I don't think anyone wants to see F-150 or taco numbers, could be wrong.

#50 ·
Having worked for 2 Honda dealerships for years, I can confirm that they "went dark" because they have no clue! :ROFLMAO: They likely said "screw that, i'll call him back when the 2020 gets here.".....hahaha

The dealer is the last one to get info. Consumers get the info from sites like these well beforehand.
They are way more concerned with selling whats on the lot TODAY. So when someone asks about something that hasn't landed on the lot, they back-burner that consumer, and track more current leads.

#55 · (Edited)
From looking at the 2020 owners manual - I have discovered the following (probably on Black Edition / Upper trims)
Side turn signal on door mirrors (and power folding)
Seat Ventilation (with heater)
Power Tailgate lock (in addition to trunk lid locking)
Just like Canadian models - eh

#60 · (Edited)
Keep in mind the same manual applies to both US and Canadian models which are equipped differently. Some features will specify "Canadian models", but others are simply noted "not available on all models".

Turn signal mirrors and ventilated seats were available on 2017-2019 Ridglines in Canada, but not the US.

The tailgate locking feature appears to be standard on all 2020 Ridgelines.

Reactions: McChizzle
#67 · (Edited)
I talked to a neighbor that is the internet sales manager at our local Honda dealer today, while I had him on the phone I asked what's up with the 2020 Ridgelines?
He said, "I have no information on them. They are not telling us anything. I know/assume they must be producing them at the factory, but they have no order information or details on the 2020..."
He suspects like most, they will be the same as the 2019's, with a couple of tweeks...

Update: A friend that i run with works at the Ridgeline Honda plant...
here is his comment.
"The 2020 will be the same. They may tweak one or two things, but I haven’t actually heard of anything. I know for sure it’s not a major model change. "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.