Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 884 Posts

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My take on the delay in announcement:
1. Excess inventory
2. The gremlins with the infotainment system. My guess is that they wanted to implement the new infotainment system and they tried ironing out the kinks, but ultimately they couldn't do it in time.
I'm taking bets on an early 2021 release.
Ridgeline sales have been relatively steady for the past 3.5 years, so It's easy for Honda to determine how many 2019's to make to avoid "excess" inventory.

On the 6-speed the normal D position allows all 6 gears. D4 limits you to gears 1-4. L limits to 1-3.

on low speed descents even in L, you get almost no help from compression braking.
I think the 9-speed is certain to be a significant improvement there.
Steve
L limits the transmission to 2, not 3, when accelerating. You can downshift to L at any speed, but the transmission won't downshift to 2 until it's going slow enough that the engine won't hit redline.

I've been reading through the owners manual and it appears that the trunk is also power lock/unlock. Am I reading that right?
The Ridgeline's trunk has always locked and unlocked with the doors.

Yup!

"When you lock the driver’s door with a key, all the other doors and trunk lock at the same time. When unlocking, the driver’s door unlocks first. Turn the key a second time within a few seconds to unlock the remaining doors and the trunk."
There's a difference between unlocking and opening. On all Ridgelines, the trunk only opens by pressing the trunk release button on the trunk lid or inserting and turning the key in the trunk lid

·
Registered
293 Posts
I thought they might switch to the 9 speed for 2020 but the 9 speed is the reason I bought the ridgeline and not the passport. Paddle shifting however might be helpful when towing. Paddle shifting can also be a bunch of fun. My 2015 Fit had them.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Man I want those button activated seat heaters as this means they are able to be auto engaged during remote start on a cold day.
We've had our '19 RTL for about 4 weeks, and a cold snap (19 degrees this morning) has my wife & I appreciating the rocker switches :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
On this radio, is it correct that there are no OTA updates?

Has it gotten even slower at times with people using it on Android auto? It annoyed me on the test drive.

I'm really bummed they didn't put the new infotainment in. I know people say there are issues, buy friends and family haven't seen them. Now they also don't have the additional screens in the headrests on their Honda's. So simpler setup than many, maybe that's making them glitch.

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We've had our '19 RTL for about 4 weeks, and a cold snap (19 degrees this morning) has my wife & I appreciating the rocker switches :)
I can't think of any functional advantages of the rocker switch over the pushbutton. In order for the seat heaters to operate during a remote start, you have to remember to leave the rocker switches on when exiting the vehicle. The pushbutton-operated seat heaters come on automatically during a remote start when it's cold.

On this radio, is it correct that there are no OTA updates?
Correct. No OTA updates for the 2020 Ridgeline since it doesn't get the new infotainment system. On the other hand, the Ridgeline's "old" system appears much more stable than newer systems that offer OTA updates.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Since I assume the seat heat switches/buttons are resistor based, I wonder if it would be as simple as retrofitting the new push button switches to get warmer seat heat in the 2017-2019 models. Probably more trouble than it is worth unless you can snag parts from a junkyard at some point for relatively cheap.

Bummed to see no wireless charging mentioned in the manual. Was hoping to retrofit that into mine. I still may try to find the parts from a Pilot and give it a go.

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Since I assume the seat heat switches/buttons are resistor based, I wonder if it would be as simple as retrofitting the new push button switches to get warmer seat heat in the 2017-2019 models. Probably more trouble than it is worth unless you can snag parts from a junkyard at some point for relatively cheap.

Bummed to see no wireless charging mentioned in the manual. Was hoping to retrofit that into mine. I still may try to find the parts from a Pilot and give it a go.
The rocker switches are electromechanical and use relays to operate the heating elements in the seat in either a series or parallel configuration for low or high, respectively.

The seat heaters in models with the pushbutton switches are electronically controlled using a heated seat control modules that communicates with other modules.

Both systems heat the seats, but go about it in a completely different way.

it says AGM battery which comes with the stop-start and 9spd. But I also see "shift lever" in those instructions which is confusing.
The PDI instructions also refer to a volume knob, which no longer exists according to the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I can't think of any functional advantages of the rocker switch over the pushbutton. In order for the seat heaters to operate during a remote start, you have to remember to leave the rocker switches on when exiting the vehicle. The pushbutton-operated seat heaters come on automatically during a remote start when it's cold.
Was just proclaiming the joy of knowing for sure that the seat will be warm. The note I was responding to said "button" and didn't know what type of button was being referred to, so used the term "rocker switch" because that's what I have. Being certain that the buns will be warm is a good thing, either way.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
On page 19 of the 2020 drivers manual posted above by zroger73, it shows the push buttons instead of a shift lever. Here's a pic:

View attachment 398069
That's pretty cool in a Jetsons sort of way - thanks for sharing the pic. If I remember right, that was the setup on an Acura MDX I test drove last year - a 2017 I think.

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That's pretty cool in a Jetsons sort of way - thanks for sharing the pic. If I remember right, that was the setup on an Acura MDX I test drove last year - a 2017 I think.
I believe the pushbutton shifter first appeared on the TLX in 2014. It's currently used in most Acura models and in the Honda Accord 2.0T, Insight, Clarity, Odyssey, Pilot Touring and above, Passport, and now Ridgeline.

I had it in 2018 Accord and 2019 RDX and had no real complaints.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah my woman has it on her new passport. Takes some getting used to, but it's kinda growing on me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's something i was unaware of......is this "Agile Handling Assist" a form of "active torque vectoring" (so to speak)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Based on dealer ordering information, PDI instructions, and the owner's manual, here's what we know about the 2020 Ridgeline so far:

The RT and RTL-T trims have been deleted leaving the Sport, RTL, RTL-E, and Black Edition.

All trims receive the ZF 9HP 9-speed automatic transmission that also includes paddle shifters, idle stop, and an AGM battery.

The Sport trim gains Honda Sensing and a touch screen Display Audio system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support.

The RTL trim gains the same features as the Sport. Also, 3-level pushbutton heat seater controls replace the 2-level rocker switches.

That's it. Same instrument cluster, no volume knob, no styling changes, no infotainment system upgrades.
Thank you for the update! I have been following the release date thread for many months waiting to see if the 2020 would be worth the wait. Your in depth contributions to this forum are sincerely impressive and appreciated by all.
Michael

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
I am not going to lie, I was looking forward to at least a new grill and wheel offering on the 2020.

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Here's something i was unaware of......is this "Agile Handling Assist" a form of "active torque vectoring" (so to speak)

View attachment 398070
No - it's the opposite, actually. Torque vectoring sends engine power to specific wheels. Agile Handling Assist applies the brakes on specific wheels. Basically, torque vectoring helps the vehicle turn while accelerating whereas AHA helps turn the vehicle while decelerating.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No - it's the opposite, actually. Torque vectoring sends engine power to specific wheels. Agile Handling Assist applies the brakes on specific wheels. Basically, torque vectoring helps the vehicle turn while accelerating whereas AHA helps turn the vehicle while decelerating.
Good info! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
I am not going to lie, I was looking forward to at least a new grill and wheel offering on the 2020.
Agreed. I think Honda shot themselves in the foot here if the grill remains the same. A new grill would add value to older and newer G2 trims.

What are the chances that a different grill actually has been implemented, given that no one has actually seen a 2020 G2 and that it would likely require no changes to the PDI?

·
Registered
111 Posts
The rockers will allow the seat heaters to activate with remote start assuming you left them on when you last ran the truck. However, the buttons that the Canadian model has had all this time will auto engaged them if the temperature is low enough even if you left them off. Just like the heated steering wheel does.

21 - 40 of 884 Posts