Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

841 - 846 of 846 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
In my 5 weeks and 2000 miles of RTLE ownership, my mileage experience has been as follows: most of my driving has been in my local community - mostly hilly and curvy, speed limits below 45 mpg - and my mileage has averaged 19-22 mpg. On a 600 mile mostly highway trip, I averaged 26-27 mpg. Considering where I live, I can expect to get around 20 mpg most of the time, which is Ok for me, and slightly better than my 2013 Ford Escape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
Edmunds drove two Pilots - one 6-speed and one 9-speed - on the same routes at the same time.

The 9-speed did 0.8 MPG better in their 102.4-mile, city-biased loop.

The 6-speed did 0.5 MPG better in their 116-mile, highway-biased loop.

"But the 6-speed did better on the route with highways and hills. Why? Ninth gear is quite tall and our Elite simply couldn't pull it if there was much of a hill or headwind. Meanwhile, the 6-speed never had any trouble holding onto top gear, which works out to something akin to eighth-and-a-third gear in an Elite (if such a thing were possible, which it isn't) if you do all the underlying math."

6th gear in my 17 is taller than 9th in the new one. (.556 vs .580) The FDR in the 17 is also lower than the 2020 (4.25 vs 4.33). Most vehicles that add gears get better MPG because the top gears are taller. Why this choice of gearing was chosen is still puzzling to me.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
68 Posts
Paddle shifters? So you can pretend you are Ricky Bobby?

I thought they might macho up the body a bit. I like the squared off more prominent fenders of the G1.

·
Registered
68 Posts
6th gear in my 17 is taller than 9th in the new one. (.556 vs .580) The FDR in the 17 is also lower than the 2020 (4.25 vs 4.33). Most vehicles that add gears get better MPG because the top gears are taller. Why this choice of gearing was chosen is still puzzling to me.
I read something about the eco mode engine stop feature was tied to the 9 speed but I don't know why you can't do one without the other.

·
Administrator
13,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #845 (Edited)
I read something about the eco mode engine stop feature was tied to the 9 speed but I don't know why you can't do one without the other.
"Regular" transmissions aren't designed for the engine to stop or start while in gear. If you use idle stop with a "regular" transmission like the 6-speed, it will lurch and re-engage too slowly when restarting due to the loss of hydraulic pressure when the engine stops turning. Transmissions like the 9-speed which are designed with idle stop in mind use accumulators to store hydraulic pressure or a different design in order for the vehicle to stop and start smoothy and quickly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
"Regular" transmissions aren't designed for the engine to stop or start while in gear. If you use idle stop with a "regular" transmission like the 6-speed, it will lurch and re-engage too slowly when restarting due to the loss of hydraulic pressure when the engine stops turning. Transmissions like the 9-speed are designed with idle stop in mind use accumulators to store hydraulic pressure or use a different design in order for the vehicle to stop and start smoothy and quickly.
Very informative thank you!

841 - 846 of 846 Posts