Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

841 - 860 of 884 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
In my 5 weeks and 2000 miles of RTLE ownership, my mileage experience has been as follows: most of my driving has been in my local community - mostly hilly and curvy, speed limits below 45 mpg - and my mileage has averaged 19-22 mpg. On a 600 mile mostly highway trip, I averaged 26-27 mpg. Considering where I live, I can expect to get around 20 mpg most of the time, which is Ok for me, and slightly better than my 2013 Ford Escape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
Edmunds drove two Pilots - one 6-speed and one 9-speed - on the same routes at the same time.

The 9-speed did 0.8 MPG better in their 102.4-mile, city-biased loop.

The 6-speed did 0.5 MPG better in their 116-mile, highway-biased loop.

"But the 6-speed did better on the route with highways and hills. Why? Ninth gear is quite tall and our Elite simply couldn't pull it if there was much of a hill or headwind. Meanwhile, the 6-speed never had any trouble holding onto top gear, which works out to something akin to eighth-and-a-third gear in an Elite (if such a thing were possible, which it isn't) if you do all the underlying math."

6th gear in my 17 is taller than 9th in the new one. (.556 vs .580) The FDR in the 17 is also lower than the 2020 (4.25 vs 4.33). Most vehicles that add gears get better MPG because the top gears are taller. Why this choice of gearing was chosen is still puzzling to me.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
445 Posts
Paddle shifters? So you can pretend you are Ricky Bobby?

I thought they might macho up the body a bit. I like the squared off more prominent fenders of the G1.

·
Registered
445 Posts
6th gear in my 17 is taller than 9th in the new one. (.556 vs .580) The FDR in the 17 is also lower than the 2020 (4.25 vs 4.33). Most vehicles that add gears get better MPG because the top gears are taller. Why this choice of gearing was chosen is still puzzling to me.
I read something about the eco mode engine stop feature was tied to the 9 speed but I don't know why you can't do one without the other.

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #845
I read something about the eco mode engine stop feature was tied to the 9 speed but I don't know why you can't do one without the other.
"Regular" transmissions aren't designed for the engine to stop or start while in gear. If you use idle stop with a "regular" transmission like the 6-speed, it will lurch and re-engage too slowly when restarting due to the loss of hydraulic pressure when the engine stops turning. Transmissions like the 9-speed which are designed with idle stop in mind use accumulators to store hydraulic pressure or a different design in order for the engine to stop and start smoothy and quickly.

·
Registered
445 Posts
"Regular" transmissions aren't designed for the engine to stop or start while in gear. If you use idle stop with a "regular" transmission like the 6-speed, it will lurch and re-engage too slowly when restarting due to the loss of hydraulic pressure when the engine stops turning. Transmissions like the 9-speed are designed with idle stop in mind use accumulators to store hydraulic pressure or use a different design in order for the vehicle to stop and start smoothy and quickly.
Very informative thank you!

·
Registered
88 Posts
so, i took my 2007 in for some service and they gave me 2019 sport to drive home for a couple of days. (i live 100 miles from my honda dealer)
i am so impressed with the improved ride and drive of the g2. i wasn't out of the parking lot good, before i realized that this was a great improvement over the g1. the word quiet, doesn't even seem like enough emphasis on the difference between the two vehicles. my ridge does have 227,000 miles, but is in excellent condition, inside and out. but, next year, i will own a g2!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
so, i took my 2007 in for some service and they gave me 2019 sport to drive home for a couple of days. (i live 100 miles from my honda dealer)
i am so impressed with the improved ride and drive of the g2. i wasn't out of the parking lot good, before i realized that this was a great improvement over the g1. the word quiet, doesn't even seem like enough emphasis on the difference between the two vehicles. my ridge does have 227,000 miles, but is in excellent condition, inside and out. but, next year, i will own a g2!
I drove a 2007 from 2011 until November 2019, when I bought a new RL. Totally loved my G1....but you're right - that G2 is so quiet and smooooth. Very refined.

Plus the G2 looks grew on me - really like our Obsidian Blue RTL AWD. The other day my wife & I drove into the driveway in her SUV, and I said "that's a sharp looking truck!" and she said "oh enough about trucks.....but it is!".

·
Registered
967 Posts
I just crossed 1,500 miles in my 2020 RTL-E. No issues and I like the ZF 9 speed. Paddles in Sport/Manual will be good for some of the towing I do. Nice that it doesn't auto upshift for you, so the paddles add a lot of versatility.

Only issues so far: Had to add a shim (which I had in my Honda parts bin) for the tailgate light switch as I was getting the occassional flicker when I dropped the tailgate. I just did it vs wasting time taking it to the dealer. The part is under $1 and was sitting there. Also, got the Auto Stop Start system problem warning one time when it was super cold. This really has to do with the brake pedal sensor I think. Never happened again. (I shut off the auto stop start each startup - I may eventually just do the wiring bypass to have it always off).

I really like the fact I didn't have to redo the rear door mod and the new hinges and door checks work great (although very close to the same real world opening as a modded 2017-19). The power locking tailgate is great and the ability to turn it on and off at the menu level I REALLY like...90% of the time, I don't want it locked but super easy when I do...and the valet switch in the glove box disables the In Bed and the tailgate lock, which is a nice security feature.

Push button shift is better in my book as I was constantly hitting the D4 button in my 2017 when I reached for stuff. Plus the shifter was not a very high quality piece with the urethane handle etc. Interestingly, you can do the same basic thing to retain accessory power in the 2020 without cycling the push button start. Stop the RL, press the brake, set the parking brake, push the N button once, then again and hold for 2 seconds to enter N hold mode. Power is retained for 10-15 minutes or until you hit the P button. Also like to pull in the driveway and have the RL automatically go to P when I just shut off the ignition. I liked that feature in the dial transmission of the RAM 1500s I owned. A nice convenience feature.

Overall, considering I paid $15,750 to upgrade from a 2017 RTL-E with 70,000 miles, a juddering torque converter and pressure switch challenged tranny to a new 2020 RTL-E, it was a no brainer and enjoying the nice albeit limited upgrades.

P.S. I like the dual tone horn introed in 2019 also...although, I honked my wife's 2018 Hyundai Tucson the other day and even it has a real dual tone horn...the 2017-18 RL stock single tone "Civic" horn is really lame...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Did the change from 6 to 9 speed tranny change any specs for acceleration?
To answer my own question, there is good info on that topic in this thread:

·
Registered
967 Posts
To answer my own question, there is good info on that topic in this thread:
Seat of the pants to me doesn't seem all that much quicker than the 6 speed. Quicker to 30 mph but more shifts to get to 60 mph. That being said, the Sport mode definitely fires off the shifts (not ZF8 speed or Dual Clutch like but quick). It is still more geared for economy and I think the difference will be noticeable in city driving (even with the auto stop start turned off).

I do a lot of around town doing Amazon Flex deliveries. I've noticed that the mpg on the 2020 seems better in this environment. No road trips yet with the COVID-19 lock down (just canceled our month in FL for April). I looked back at my initial 2017 G2 records I had on Fuelly (which was similar urban driving) and the mpg on the 2020 seems to be 1 to 1.5 mpg better on the 4-5 fill ups so far.

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #853
Seat of the pants to me doesn't seem all that much quicker than the 6 speed. Quicker to 30 mph but more shifts to get to 60 mph. That being said, the Sport mode definitely fires off the shifts (not ZF8 speed or Dual Clutch like but quick).
S is for sequential, not sport.

My 150cc Honda scooter will beat most production cars from 0-30 MPH. Above that speed, it's comparable to a Trabant. ;)

·
Registered
967 Posts
S is for sequential, not sport.

My 150cc Honda scooter will beat most production cars from 0-30 MPH. Above that speed, it's comparable to a Trabant. ;)
Good point - I'm so use to a lot of mfrs using the 'Sport' term (it meant more in my old G35xS Infiniti). I can see where this will really help in towing in hilly terrain. Even for downhill as a backup to the Grade Logic (which I'm not sure is a 'thing' in the ZF 9 speed as I believe it was just the programming in the Honda 5 and 6 speeds).

For 0-30 mph, one of the best vehicles is a PWC...Our 130 hp SeaDoo is shockingly quick to 30 mph.

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #855
Even for downhill as a backup to the Grade Logic (which I'm not sure is a 'thing' in the ZF 9 speed as I believe it was just the programming in the Honda 5 and 6 speeds).
Honda incorporates their so-called "Grade Logic" programming into the 9-speed as well. As far as I know, it's part of the programming on every non-manual transmission used by Honda since the 1990's.

The 9-speed even goes a step further on models with navigation where it uses terrain maps to optimize shifting based on where you're driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering what Honda might do here to improve on the 2019's. I don't love the infotainment unit...sluggy and outdated...works..but for me its the worst part of the truck. 9 speed Tranny is better for fuel economy but Honda's 6 speed auto is super common, established, and reliable. The Pilots went to 9 speeds and owners complained about reliability. I like my 6. Tons of power, smooth shifting, good on fuel. I don't care too much about the shifter or the battery. I haven't needed to lock my tailgate yet...but I supposes thats a handy feature. The wider rear doors...ya that's a good one. I'm going to modify mine to so I can my musioc gear without banging up the doors.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
...a traditional battery has been replaced by an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) model.
I tried a Google search with no joy. Is the 2020 Honda AGM battery a direct replacement for the traditional battery in the 2017-2019 model Ridgeline?

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
I tried a Google search with no joy. Is the 2020 Honda AGM battery a direct replacement for the traditional battery in the 2017-2019 model Ridgeline?
No. Both FLA and AGM batteries continue to be available for 2017-2019 and 2020 models, respectively.

A 2017-2019 will receive an FLA battery as a replacement. A 2020 will receive an AGM battery as a replacement.

Physically, they are interchangeable as they're both H6/L3/48 group size batteries. You could use the 2020 battery in a 2017-2019, but it's expensive. You could use a 2017-2019 battery in a 2020, but it wouldn't last long and you may get warning lights/messages.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Physically, they are interchangeable as they're both H6/L3/48 group size batteries. You could use the 2020 battery in a 2017-2019, but it's expensive. You could use a 2017-2019 battery in a 2020, but it wouldn't last long and you may get warning lights/messages.
Thanks, this was the information I was looking for. My memory, obviously wrong, was that the Ridgeline battery was a group 24F (but it might be a 51R). But I was probably confusing the size with my 2006 Element and 2012 Miata which both took the 24F battery. I no longer have either one of those vehicles.

I don't need a battery right now but when the time comes I would be very tempted to put an AGM battery in my 2019 Ridgeline.

841 - 860 of 884 Posts