Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

861 - 880 of 884 Posts

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #861
What are the advantages of an AGM battery?
For a vehicle that doesn't need one - there aren't many real-world advantages. They typically last longer than FLA batteries, but not in proportion to their price. For example, you're often better off buying a $100 FLA battery every 3 years than a $200 AGM battery every 5 years.

AGM batteries are used in vehicles with idle stop because they can withstand the deeper cycles and faster recharging such vehicles need.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
For a vehicle that doesn't need one - there aren't many real-world advantages. They typically last longer than FLA batteries, but not in proportion to their price. For example, you're often better off buying a $100 FLA battery every 3 years than a $200 AGM battery every 5 years.

AGM batteries are used in vehicles with idle stop because they can withstand the deeper cycles and faster recharging such vehicles need.
Thanks. Figured the AGM facilitated the idle stop, but per your analysis not likely a good value proposition in a pre-2020 model.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts

I "think" that AGM could be advantageous in an environment subject to a lot of vibration.

FLA batteries that have high capacity and/or long life often have a greater number of plates inside of them that are spaced closer together. If subjected to a lot of vibration, the plates could become dislodged and lead to premature battery failure.

If you were baja racing, you'd probably want an AGM. They might also be better in rough boating environments. I could be wrong, though, as it's been nearly two decades since i last researched the subject.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
So what about the other way around? If you have a 2020 and disable the idle stop with each start, could you use a conventional battery?

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #865
So what about the other way around? If you have a 2020 and disable the idle stop with each start, could you use a conventional battery?
You probably could, but the charging algorithm is almost certainly optimized for an AGM battery. Using an FLA battery instead could result in reduced battery life.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
What are the advantages of an AGM battery?
For me, on that rare occasion that I am on the road/camping and sleeping in my vehicle, it might serve to extend the battery life on my CPAP machine. But if I were to do that I would get a booster pac too. The Li battery on my CPAP frequently does not last the night and costs $300 (the price has recently come down to $250!!) so the AGM starter battery would be a backup. Just brainstorming here.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Project Farm did a good comparison that included FLA and AGM batteries side by side. Essentially, AGMs have less internal resistance and recharge a little faster. When I've had to buy batteries, if the AGM is close in price (sometimes the case at Advance Auto) I will go AGM.

The benefit of an AGM, as noted previously, is more resistance to vibration and a little better performance in cold weather conditions. All that being said, if it is an older vehicle I may not have for much longer, the cheaper battery wins. For the auto stop start, you definitely need to stick to AGM (although I did the electronic start in OFF mod to my 2020 for auto stop start).

Which Car Battery is Best? Let's find out!

·
Super Moderator
1,438 Posts
He lost me at "milli ohms" . Obviously he has no idea what he's talking about. At least he measured the internal resistance and showed us the CCA capacities. Cold, colder and normal temps.

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some models had Blind Spot Monitoring and others have LaneWatch View attachment 398063
I’d like to see the blind spot indicator light moved from the front door pillar to the side mirror itself (like other cars have). Current setup allows attention to be paid to the indicator or the mirror, but not both. Also, the person riding your blind spot could then see your indicator, which might alert them as well. Nice safety feature.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
566 Posts
I’d like to see the blind spot indicator light moved from the front door pillar to the side mirror itself (like other cars have). Current setup allows attention to be paid to the indicator or the mirror, but not both. Also, the person riding your blind spot could then see your indicator, which might alert them as well. Nice safety feature.
I agree. My wife’s car has the indicator on the mirrors, it’s a much better place for it.

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #871
One thing I don't like about the mirror-mounted blind spot indicators is that they are harder to see when there are bright reflections in the mirror (daylight and headlights). I prefer the inside-mounted ones on the Ridgeline because they always contrast against the black.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
566 Posts
One thing I don't like about the mirror-mounted blind spot indicators is that they are harder to see when there are bright reflections in the mirror (daylight and headlights). I prefer the inside-mounted ones on the Ridgeline because they always contrast against the black.
I haven’t had that problem with her car, they are always easy to see. It could be that some auto makers do a better job than others. Hers is a 2015 Lexus NX.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've had BSM since 2010 in 3 different vehicles (GM / Chrysler) I've ever have had an issue with the arrow in the mirror. I've not seen the RL set up personally, but it would seem to make sense to only focus your attention on one place...the outside mirror.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am sure not happy about the Auto Idle Stop feature that apparently can't be shut off. My son's BMW had it a few years ago, and I absolutely hated it. So annoying, especially in stop & go traffic. BMW allowed it to be turned off, so it was acceptable.
You can turn it off easily when you start the vehicle but it defaults back to auto the truck is restarted. Not a big deal and you really dont notice it too much anyway. Very smooth restart.

I haven’t had that problem with her car, they are always easy to see. It could be that some auto makers do a better job than others. Hers is a 2015 Lexus NX.
2020 has them inside mounted.

Page 187 shows how to turn it off.
It may default to on everytime you restart the car. But you can disable it for the drive. I have gotten to the point I don't really notice any difference in performance with it on.

For 2017-2019, the RTL-T had LaneWatch, but not BSM. The RTL-E/BE had BSM, but not LaneWatch. Since there is no RTL-T for 2020, perhaps LaneWatch is being moved to the RTL or RTL and Sport trims.

In Canada, the Sport and EX-L have LaneWatch, so there's also the possibility that LaneWatch in the US is no longer available since the only trim that had it is gone. Some 2020 Canadian trims may retain the feature.

The heated windshield wiper area has always been a Canadian-only feature for the 2017-2019 Ridgeline.

It's true that the 2020 manual doesn't say "Canadian only" when referring to ventilated seats, but neither did the 2017-2019 manual.

For 2017-2019 only the RTL-E and BE had auto high beams. This appears to remain true.

Power folding mirrors were a Canadian-only feature for 2017-2019 along with ventilated front seats and heated rear seats as well.
They also listened to the customers and added improved door stops for the rear doors to allow the doors a wider opening arc. Most of us that had prior year models modified them by putting in front door stops on the rear. Nice that I didn't have to when I traded up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am sure not happy about the Auto Idle Stop feature that apparently can't be shut off. My son's BMW had it a few years ago, and I absolutely hated it. So annoying, especially in stop & go traffic. BMW allowed it to be turned off, so it was acceptable.
I always wondered about that feature : does the A/C shut off too, or is it then driven by a separate clutched motor?

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #876
I always wondered about that feature : does the A/C shut off too, or is it then driven by a separate clutched motor?
The A/C compressor stops when the engine stops. The vehicle uses what is known as a "cold storage evaporator" which has a higher thermal mass than a "regular" evaporator. This allows it to continue to absorb heat (and thus allow the A/C to "blow cold air") for several seconds to a minute or two after the compressor stops.

Only EVs and some hybrids use a motor-driven compressor. In these applications, there's no need for a clutch because the electric motor can turn off or vary its speed to match the cooling demand.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our pilot has the 9 speed with paddle shifters. It made driving the mountains an absolute breeze.

Last time in the mountains I was in our old suburban and it was a Runaway freight train compared to pilot. 9 speed paddles gave such precise gear control - great experience.

However, I admit never using it outside of mountain drives

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,315 Posts
Our pilot has the 9 speed with paddle shifters. It made driving the mountains an absolute breeze.

Last time in the mountains I was in our old suburban and it was a Runaway freight train compared to pilot. 9 speed paddles gave such precise gear control - great experience.

However, I admit never using it outside of mountain drives
I anticipate using them with towing....one of the reasons for my selection of a 2020 vs 2019.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I anticipate using them with towing....one of the reasons for my selection of a 2020 vs 2019.
you mention liking your paddle shifters ... I'm not liking mine so much and would be really curious if yours behaves as mine. When I downshift from 5 - 4 or 6 - 5 I get a slight acceleration, then the higher revs kicks in. I spoke to my dealer about downshifting to slow down and told him I first accelerate then slow down - he told me "the paddle shifters are meant to slow down the car that way and that the entire system is made for fuel economy" - That sounded like a BS answer but I've been busy and haven't verified this. Just wondered if you've experienced a similar thing when downshifting to slow down .. instead of using your brakes.

Thanks,

Rich

861 - 880 of 884 Posts