Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

881 - 884 of 884 Posts

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #881
Like most modern automatic transmissions with manual shift capability, the 9-speed has downshift rev-matching for a smoother shift and less wear and tear on the drivetrain. Although it happens in less than a second, the transmission basically shifts to neutral, revs the engine, then engages the next lower gear once the engine has accelerated to the speed that matches that gear. On the 9-speed, dog clutches are used between gears 4-5 and 7-8. Friction clutches are used between all other gears. Downshifts from 8 to 7 or 5 to 4 can feel different and/or take longer than other downshifts because extremely precise timing is required before a dog clutch can be engaged else it will grind, wear, and potentially break (like trying to shift a manual without pressing in the clutch). Shifts between other gears can occur more quickly because friction clutches don't require the timing to be as precise - if the speeds don't match, they'll just slip by design rather than clash. I doubt your dealer has a clue what a dog clutch is.

·
Registered
2020 Black Edition
6 Posts
you mention liking your paddle shifters ... I'm not liking mine so much and would be really curious if yours behaves as mine. When I downshift from 5 - 4 or 6 - 5 I get a slight acceleration, then the higher revs kicks in. I spoke to my dealer about downshifting to slow down and told him I first accelerate then slow down - he told me "the paddle shifters are meant to slow down the car that way and that the entire system is made for fuel economy" - That sounded like a BS answer but I've been busy and haven't verified this. Just wondered if you've experienced a similar thing when downshifting to slow down .. instead of using your brakes.

Thanks,

Rich
I can confirm that behavior (brief acceleration before slowing) regarding downshifting with the paddles. It reminds me of how a previous vehicle with a dual-clutch transmission I once owned drove. The acceleration seems more pronounced when I first downshift from regular D. If I'm in S mode, it seems to respond more quickly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"I can confirm that behavior (brief acceleration before slowing) regarding downshifting with the paddles."

That is the same as I experience with the 9 speed...
I find the 9 speed to work beautifully towing, and I've been to the NC mountains twice in the past couple of weeks and the transmission is a joy to use both up hill and down hill.
I don't understand all the gnashing of teeth over this transmission change...to me it is an absolute upgrade from the 6 speed.

881 - 884 of 884 Posts