Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter Metallic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious how other 2020 Ridgeline owners are faring with gas mileage. This was on a daytrip from Cape Girardeau, MO to Paducah, KY. I was quite pleased since I had to go through about 10 small "speed trap" towns. .

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm curious how other 2020 Ridgeline owners are faring with gas mileage. This was on a daytrip from Cape Girardeau, MO to Paducah, KY. I was quite pleased since I had to go through about 10 small "speed trap" towns. .
. View attachment 399734
You must have been going downhill with the wind to your back!

I’ve gotten over 25 on short highway jaunts. Any city driving kills the average quickly. I’m approaching 2000 miles on my new truck. I’m overall averaging 21-22. The OCD side of me could spend gobs of mental energy hypermiling and trying to push the average up. At this stage, to preserve my sanity, I’m re-setting the trip odometers and moving on. Eco-mode be damned, I’m going to rev that motor when I feel like it! I’m getting about the same average as my wife’s 3.6R outback. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Im at about the 7000 mark on mine with an average mpg at 17.4 mpg

·
Premium Member
2020 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
31 Posts
About 20.8 mpg on my first tank. Mostly suburban driving. 12.5-mile 30-minute work commute week days, Includes a 10 minute idle warm up each morning.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
From Fuelly.com:

Based on data from 2 vehicles, 8 fuel-ups and 2,505 miles of driving, the 2020 Honda Ridgeline gets a combined Avg MPG of 20.52 with a 0.71 MPG margin of error.

Based on data from 247 vehicles, 17,997 fuel-ups and 5,283,662 miles of driving, the 2017 Honda Ridgeline gets a combined Avg MPG of 20.42 with a 0.05 MPG margin of error.

It looks like the 2020 with the 9-speed is going to average virtually the same as the 2017-2019 with the 6-speed which is close to the combined EPA estimate of 21 MPG for both.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Just to beat a dead horse here but it is pointless to report MPG based on the trip meter. It has been pretty clearly shown that for the 2017-19 GenIIs the computer is optimistic in its calculation for gas mileage between 8 and 10%. It is entirely possible that for the 20s this error has changed for the better or worse but there is no way of knowing unless people actually calculate their mileage and then compare this to the computer.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E, TonnoPro soft Trifold
16 Posts
I have gotten 25gpm on the Ohio Turnpike, checked by filling up trip meter was close 25.3. City was less about 17gpm. I have bad driving habits, trying to drive normal in the city.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter Metallic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is just an FYI. I found the "auto reset of trip computer on fill up" setting on my Ridgeline! I have never had this function on a vehicle before. I love it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just to beat a dead horse here but it is pointless to report MPG based on the trip meter. It has been pretty clearly shown that for the 2017-19 GenIIs the computer is optimistic in its calculation for gas mileage between 8 and 10%. It is entirely possible that for the 20s this error has changed for the better or worse but there is no way of knowing unless people actually calculate their mileage and then compare this to the computer.
Huh? Are you saying there is a bug in the way the computer calculates MPG? No wonder I was so happy. Can you point me to other threads or docs that talk about this?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm curious how other 2020 Ridgeline owners are faring with gas mileage. This was on a daytrip from Cape Girardeau, MO to Paducah, KY. I was quite pleased since I had to go through about 10 small "speed trap" towns.
So what was your ACTUAL mileage when you calculated it manually, instead of relying on the fake trip computer numbers?

Huh? Are you saying there is a bug in the way the computer calculates MPG? No wonder I was so happy. Can you point me to other threads or docs that talk about this?
It is not just the Ridgeline. Most manufacturers have trip computers that inflate MPG. You need to calculate manually to get an accurate number.
Both of my newer vehicles consistently show 2 MPG higher than actual.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I drive the same route to work where when I have taken the Ridgeline, and driven it quite frugally, I have got it up to 29MPG on the trip meter, (I just have not been able to get it to break over to 30.) When in a playful mood it typically drops into the high teens/ lower 20's. With this in mind, my experience is that trying to discuss fuel mileage may be fun, but without a solid set of parameters isn't very useful.

On an other hand, I can say with total confidence that, our Ridgeline makes at least double the fuel mileage as compared to our early 70's era pickups............................

Bill

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
Both my 2017 and 2019 Ridgelines indicate 6.8% too high.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got this on my 2019 on a trip to FL. I haven't bothered to calculate it manually. My average since purchase (over a total of 8,000 miles), is 21.6mpg.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
I got this on my 2019 on a trip to FL. I haven't bothered to calculate it manually. My average since purchase (over a total of 8,000 miles), is 21.6mpg.
Your actual fuel economy is about 26.8. Still good, though.

Moderator's note: The OP is asking owners of 2020 models about their fuel economy - not 2019 or older models.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have gotten 25gpm on the Ohio Turnpike, checked by filling up trip meter was close 25.3. City was less about 17gpm. I have bad driving habits, trying to drive normal in the city.
Wow...25 gallons per mile...do you really fill every mile? LOL

·
Registered
144 Posts
I get about 20 mpg on country roads calculated (trip counter states about 21) and 26 on the highway.

·
Registered
416 Posts
This is just an FYI. I found the "auto reset of trip computer on fill up" setting on my Ridgeline! I have never had this function on a vehicle before. I love it!
I tried the auto reset and discovered I did not like it the first fill. I write the computer mpg on my gas slip right after a fill. The auto reset zero's the mileage and mpg as the truck is restarted and the calculation since the last fill is lost if not recorded before the fill.

·
Registered
75 Posts
About 20.8 mpg on my first tank. Mostly suburban driving. 12.5-mile 30-minute work commute week days, Includes a 10 minute idle warm up each morning.
After six weeks in my 2020, I'm getting almost the same. Around 21 mpg with mixed driving, mostly with Econ turned on. I was hoping for better, but it is what it is. At least gas is cheap right now, especially with the Kroger discount.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Your actual fuel economy is about 26.8. Still good, though.

Moderator's note: The OP is asking owners of 2020 models about their fuel economy - not 2019 or older models.
Got it, just thought it might benefit some to compare 6spd vs 9spd figures. From what little I've seen it looks like a 2mpg difference at the most, and only IF you don't disable start/stop.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts