Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
New 2021, and took a longer drive today, and the trip odometer showed 19.2 for the 300 mile trip. There was a strong front angled cross wind, which seemed affecting the mileage quite a bit, but also were going fairly fast 75mph, and that really hit the mileage pretty hard too. However, 19.2 seemed pretty great compared to the RAM 2500 I had previously! We had a large RV, and sold it and the Ram, gas mileage was definitely one of our considerations!

·
Vendor
2,024 Posts
A neighbor of mine moved to NC and has multiple vehicles, one a 2020 Ridgeline. He left the vehicle here as his house didn't sell yet and lets me use it if I need to. I've used it quite a few times since it's only a few doors down and there's always something you can use a pickup for (one, a solar reel I got off market place). I've know him for 12 years and he's also a gearhead like me. We talk a lot and he's big believer in the Top Tier fuel some stations have, one being Costco. He told me he's getting .5 -.8 more mpg on highway trips after comparing. He used to drive this truck 1,200 miles per week. He's the one who originally told me about Top Tier fuel many years ago. I also use it in my S2000 and all my other vehicles.

The Honda owners manual recommends to use stations that have the Top Tier additives in it. Now, this is just one guy who's super anal and divides his mileage out and who's told me he gets a little better mileage with it, so he says. Has anyone else done comparisons on there 2020 with and without top tier fuel? Thought this was interesting and also something that Honda mentioned to do.

I also know this isn't the main reason to use TT, there are other benefits that aren't related to gas mileage, but it's a good question and one to know if it's helping on these trucks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
A neighbor of mine moved to NC and has multiple vehicles, one a 2020 Ridgeline. He left the vehicle here as his house didn't sell yet and lets me use it if I need to.
We talk a lot and he's big believer in the Top Tier fuel some stations have, one being Costco. He told me he's getting .5 -.8 more mpg on highway trips after comparing. He used to drive this truck 1,200 miles per week. He's the one who originally told me about Top Tier fuel many years ago. I also use it in my S2000 and all my other vehicles.

The Honda owners manual recommends to use stations that have the Top Tier additives in it. Now, this is just one guy who's super anal and divides his mileage out and who's told me he gets a little better mileage with it, so he says. Has anyone else done comparisons on there 2020 with and without top tier fuel? Thought this was interesting and also something that Honda mentioned to do.

I also know this isn't the main reason to use TT, there are other benefits that aren't related to gas mileage, but it's a good question and one to know if it's helping on these trucks.
Jason B -
Your fixation with this topic is very interesting. You've had THREE threads shut down after repeatedly posting false information...
Moderator's note: @Jason B, stop creating additional threads on the same subject. Thread closed.

In those threads, you said..."Personally, I've also noticed a bit more mileage on trips."
Yet you now claim it is a "neighbor" who is a "big believer in Top Tier fuel" an who's "told me he's getting .5-.8 more mpg."
You obviously had to further fabricate your story after I pointed out you lied about "personally" noticing a fuel economy gain (since you never use non-TT gas).

Another lie you keep repeating is that "The Honda owners manual recommends to use stations that have the Top Tier."
This is 100% false and you know it.
Nowhere in the owner's manual does it recommend using TT fuel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Google found this thread for me because I was researching an issue I am having with my 2010 Accord (89K miles) impacted by excessive carbon buildup. After reading the back and forth above I thought I would jump in from a different angle offering a neutral point of view.

By the time my car tells me I am at 60% "oil life" the dipstick is bone dry & down three quarts of the ~4.5 quart capacity. No leak - just "excessive oil consumption" as defined by Honda. Essentially it burns a quart of oil ~ every 1K miles driven. Long story on the root cause but my engine was part of a class action lawsuit settled in 2011 that yielded a "service advisor" but not a recall. Ever since Honda was never required to inform customers like me but in stealth mode extended the warranty for eight years. Problem is when customers didn't know about it time passed, they burned oil, and never encountered the resulting massive buildup of carbon (root cause) fouling things up and ruining spark plugs, You can read up on the backstory here and the service bulletin here. I am curranty escalating / fighting with Honda to get my car fixed for free since they knew about it all along and never told me that a simple firmware update could have corrected the problem in 2011.

OK, back to the topic being debated above. I don't know why you people are arguing. The 2021 Ridgeline owners manual has identical sections (debating semantics about the word "recommend, endorse, or any variation or synonym" is silly) and this Consumer Reports article summarizes an extensive AAA study that confirms Honda is part of a group of automakers that endorses the Top Tier fuel standard, confirms it indeed increases full efficiency, and most important to me reduces carbon buildup. I wish I knew about this new gas standard ten years ago as although I have a local BJs that uses it I have been too lazy to drive an extra 3 miles to fill up there. Would have probably made a difference in my case over time.

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Intake valve cleaner in a spray can would help you out too! Same idea for cleaning the valves. High oil combustion engines have PCV valve issues. Too high an airflow and all the oil vapor gets sucked into the intake manifold and onto the valves. (bad design) Lot of manufacturers just ignore these problems as for the most part you as a consumer won't notice till 100k miles or more and for some makers like GM their cars are junk by then. But, on a Honda lots of people expect better and longer life. So hence people notice these things. The problem with top tier fuel is that it still doesn't spray on the intake side of the valves. It can "kinda" feedback a little on valve overlap but not really like spraying a intake cleaner into the engine and really letting the valves get cleaned. There's other methods too. Remember the hickory nuts used on BMW, Mercedes and other foreign makes ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Almost 4500 miles on my 2020 Sport running CENEX 85 octane from Alamosa CO, loaded with a desk and Honda 6500 generator ( aprox 300lbs ), table and GENSET in air stream . Ran from home to Walsenburg CO through LaVeta Pass @65 mpg back and forth within a few hours of each other. Tail wind heading east, head wind westbound OAT ~ 55F. 38.1 mpg via computer eastbound, 21.6 MPG westbound. Trip average 29.85 mpg

·
Administrator
18,544 Posts
Almost 4500 miles on my 2020 Sport running CENEX 85 octane from Alamosa CO, loaded with a desk and Honda 6500 generator ( aprox 300lbs ), table and GENSET in air stream . Ran from home to Walsenburg CO through LaVeta Pass @65 mpg back and forth within a few hours of each other. Tail wind heading east, head wind westbound OAT ~ 55F. 38.1 mpg via computer eastbound, 21.6 MPG westbound. Trip average 29.85 mpg
How does the trip computer's indication compare to your manual calculation?

My 2017 and 2019 both indicated 6.8% higher.

My 2021 indicated 5.3% higher on its first tank. I suspect it will end up indicating higher as every Ridgeline where the owner keeps records has shown.

·
Registered
93 Posts
How does the trip computer's indication compare to your manual calculation?

My 2017 and 2019 both indicated 6.8% higher.

My 2021 indicated 5.3% higher on its first tank. I suspect it will end up indicating higher as every Ridgeline where the owner keeps records has shown.
Roger, no manual calculations to date, my reasoning is I am looking for comparable consistent data.

Manual calculations are highly variable too, temp, pump dispenser variations are a PIA with variation. At least the electronic throttle position sensing is consistent regardless of fuel density, temp, pump accuracy.

I do not think this setup uses fuel flow readings which are what are accurate regardless of all those variables.

Even if your measures for excess MPG readings are correct then I am achieving incredible MPG readings. Note I am at 6000-9000' MSL most of the time and my pressure/density altitudes are high. So I am probably never producing the HP and specific fuel consumption that a flat lander is experiencing.

My life of the unit MPG avg per ECM = 23 currently. I am going to visit grandkids next month since we are both vaccinated and will let you know how it does heading to TEJAS.....LOL

Interestingly switching from Amsoil 0w20 signature series to CENEX Maxtron 0w20 made a big delta in MPG initially. We'll see if that benefit holds when the additives age.

·
Administrator
18,544 Posts
Roger, no manual calculations to date, my reasoning is I am looking for comparable consistent data.

Manual calculations are highly variable too, temp, pump dispenser variations are a PIA with variation. At least the electronic throttle position sensing is consistent regardless of fuel density, temp, pump accuracy.

I do not think this setup uses fuel flow readings which are what are accurate regardless of all those variables.

Even if your measures for excess MPG readings are correct then I am achieving incredible MPG readings. Note I am at 6000-9000' MSL most of the time and my pressure/density altitudes are high. So I am probably never producing the HP and specific fuel consumption that a flat lander is experiencing.
I'm very confident in the accuracy of my records. For years, I've used the same pump at the same station and never fill past the first "click". Accuracy, repeatability, and margin of error are important in my line of work. Analysis of the data recorded for hundreds of fill-ups for more than 40 cars, trucks, and motorcycles in spreadsheets give me this confidence.

Fuel dispensers like the common models from Gilbarco Veeder-Root have included Automatic Temperature Compensation for years.

You are correct in that the Ridgeline does not use a flow meter. Instead, it calculates fuel flow based on a software model of the injectors and injector on-time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Understood on your confidence and reasoning. I’m retired and did enough tracking data to last a lifetime.
Do you have a reference for the injectors model for fuel flow? That’s got to be tied to e-throttle too. Another algorithm, but if its using injector on / off durations might be more accurate for fuel flow than we think.

·
Administrator
18,544 Posts
No, I do not have the specifications for the injectors.

Also, if want to reach more about the trip computer's accuracy...

The trip computer in my Accord indicated within 0.6% of the calculated fuel economy over thousands of mile. My 2020 CX-5 was more than 1% pessimistic on its fuel economy indication.

·
Registered
93 Posts
No, I do not have the specifications for the injectors.

Also, if want to reach more about the trip computer's accuracy...

The trip computer in my Accord indicated within 0.6% of the calculated fuel economy over thousands of mile. My 2020 CX-5 was more than 1% pessimistic on its fuel economy indication.
Roger fantastic manual computing and recording! Thats great and glad you have the time and interest to do all that. You might consider purchasing a Monte Carlo Tool to really dig deep.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have nearly 3k miles on my 2020 after 6 weeks of ownership. The computer states I am averaging 20.8 MPG. However, by hand-calculations (I keep a mileage book in my truck and write down all data every fill-up) I am averaging 20 miles per gallon. My best has been 21.1 MPG with 93 Octane (only bought one-time just to trial it out - not worth the extra dollar plus for one mile better IMO).

I am content. I am averaging a little over 1.5 miles better per gallon than what I got with my 2019 Ranger. It is a principle thing for me. I felt cheated and lied to with Ford promising fuel economy in the low to mid 20s in that truck. I never even came close. So much for a four cylinder with turbo promising better fuel economy vs. a V6 :sneaky:

My only question thus far with the Honda computing for fuel economy is how 'accurate' is the fuel remaining range is? I seem to consistently be filling up around 16 gallons of gas every fill-up but the range when I fill-up is very low (<30 miles). Since I drive a large stretch of interstate with very few services between my home and my place of work, I never feel fully confident trying to drive to home/work with a low range remaining.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jason B -
Your fixation with this topic is very interesting. You've had THREE threads shut down after repeatedly posting false information...
Moderator's note: @Jason B, stop creating additional threads on the same subject. Thread closed.

In those threads, you said..."Personally, I've also noticed a bit more mileage on trips."
Yet you now claim it is a "neighbor" who is a "big believer in Top Tier fuel" an who's "told me he's getting .5-.8 more mpg."
You obviously had to further fabricate your story after I pointed out you lied about "personally" noticing a fuel economy gain (since you never use non-TT gas).

Another lie you keep repeating is that "The Honda owners manual recommends to use stations that have the Top Tier."
This is 100% false and you know it.
Nowhere in the owner's manual does it recommend using TT fuel.

bluegrass, check out page 477 of the full owners manual where it specifically states Honda Endorses the use of TOP TIER fuels.
Note top tier fuels rely on EPA regional spec fuels with a minimum level of polymer dispersants. In testing I have done for years TOO MUCH polymeric additives can cause secondary deposits but generally the TOP TIER endorsement will lower deposits and increase MPG. Results vary but what needing to add polymeric additives to baseline EPA approved regional fuels means is that our fuels in USA suck. If the gasoline fuel would burn clean to begin with you wouldn't need to add dispersants to remove the carbon and other deposits.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
..................... but generally the TOP TIER endorsement will lower deposits and increase MPG.
It really would be helpful if somebody would post definitive data showing indisputable evidence for this claims, otherwise it is all just hearsay?

The same for if you use Brand X lubricant, or filter, you will get Y more miles out of your engine, transmission, or differential?

Bill

·
Registered
93 Posts
It’s usually proprietary and expensive to test Bill. I made a living for 40 years doing proprietary testing. Honda is recommending top tier and the top tier website shows their testing. Look it up. I share what I can.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Having shared that Bill and all reading note that MPG does not always indicate long term cleanliness.

For instance gasolines in US use too many aromatics to garner octane boosting and in past few years it's getting worse. The internet crowd bad mouths ethanol added fuels when that may be the cleanest octane booster one can get AND it safe on fuel side components. Aromatics are what melts plastics, damages metals by corrosion, and can leave deposits.

Aromatics are allowed up to 35% by volume of the fuel formulations and most refineries are maxing that out. Aromatics are what make PAH's , from benezene, and alkalized, napthalenes etc additives. Cheaper than refining more effectively = lower cost but not high quality fuels.

Attached is a chart of aromatics use and note US is maxed out in the last few years:
AROMATICS.png

81 - 100 of 118 Posts