Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, some of you may have remembered seeing my post a while back warning that the Pop & Lock PL8600 will not fit on later manufactured 2019 tailgates. My 2019 was manufactured in May and does not fit the PL8600 kit. My next thought was perhaps the new Honda OEM electric tailgate lock would fit and I could retrofit it into my tailgate. I would imagine the 2020 probably has a special wiring harness for the lock but perhaps the wiring from the tailgate lock could be tied into to the other power door locks.

·
Registered
673 Posts
pictures of the 2019 tail gate bracket? Curious to see what changed.

2020 Tail gate is not plug and play...

-the settings are control via head unit
-the emergency cable has its own key tumbler
-their is a cut out and cover for the emergency key
-you will need the 2020 cover and tailgate plastic

I think it could be easier to modify the PL8600 bracket over the 2020 oem version.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pictures of the 2019 tail gate bracket? Curious to see what changed.

2020 Tail gate is not plug and play...

-the settings are control via head unit
-the emergency cable has its own key tumbler
-their is a cut out and cover for the emergency key
-you will need the 2020 cover and tailgate plastic

I think it could be easier to modify the PL8600 bracket over the 2020 oem version.
Hey @17sport I will do some digging and see if I can find those pictures. It wasn’t a major change however if you have seen the PL-8600 actuator bracket it has two little ≈.25” fingers that wrap around the OEM tailgate latch assembly bracket. On the 2020 they slightly modified the OEM tailgate latch assembly bracket so that it is too wide for the PL-8600 bracket. Didn’t feel comfortable modifying the bracket and then running into issues with failing actuators or an electronic lock that malfunctions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey @17sport I will do some digging and see if I can find those pictures. It wasn’t a major change however if you have seen the PL-8600 actuator bracket it has two little ≈.25” fingers that wrap around the OEM tailgate latch assembly bracket. On the 2020 they slightly modified the OEM tailgate latch assembly bracket so that it is too wide for the PL-8600 bracket. Didn’t feel comfortable modifying the bracket and then running into issues with failing actuators or an electronic lock that malfunctions.
Just finished installing an 8600 on a 2019 RL. It’s not a clean fit and requires mods.

The actuator bracket needs the right tab bent out of the way or it won’t fit.

The actuator arm may be different as it has a nut and bolt to hold it to the actuator, but the new arm seems too short. Sometimes when locking, the mechanism does not always go far enough for the spring to pull it all the way open. A tie wrap in the slot at the end of the actuator arm seems to work better.

On the main bracket, where the 2 mounting holes are at the bottom, there is a notch cut out for a tab on the honda bracket. The honda tab is now longer than before (from pictures I’ve seen here) and the tab had to be cut down (bending it up only interfered with the P&L bracket.

·
Super Moderator
5,333 Posts
Good work, @Ing2! Thank you for the pictures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts