Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week end, I swung buy the local Honda dealer to get physical with a 2020 model. As I was trying out all the buttons and knobs, I noticed something. The RL bed power outlet activation button on the bottom left has 2 settings. 150W and 400W. 150W is automatically used when the engine is not running. When the engine is running, 400W is being used. However, an interesting bit of info popped up on the dash when I activated this while it was running. It said something like the Idle Start / Stop feature is disabled while bed power is activated. Soooo, can that bed power plug just be activated all the time to eliminate the Start / Stop feature? With the bed outlet enabled, the amber light that says that the Start / Stop feature is disabled did not come on while I had the outlet enabled.

If this was already discussed, feel free to delete.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
This might be the case and I have been considering testing this out to verify. Before purchasing the 2020, I was worried about the start/stop being an issue but to be honest, it just does not bother me like I thought it might. It is so fast and intelligently controlled that so far, it just isn't something that I'm worried about.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
When the engine is running, 400W is being used.
More specifically, the 400W mode can be used when the engine is running and the transmission is in park and the Truck Bed Audio system is not being used.

Soooo, can that bed power plug just be activated all the time to eliminate the Start / Stop feature?
No. The AC power outlet turns off when the vehicle is turned off. The AC power outlet button must be pressed each time the vehicle is turned on to turn the AC power outlet back on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More specifically, the 400W mode can be used when the engine is running and the transmission is in park and the Truck Bed Audio system is not being used.
Well that's interesting. So if the bed outlet is enabled, and you put it in gear, does it drop to 150W? If it can't be running at all while in gear, why would the idle stop / start pop up even bother coming up?

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
So if the bed outlet is enabled, and you put it in gear, does it drop to 150W?
Yes.

If you set the AC outlet power mode to 400W, it will change to 150W if you shift from park or turn on the Truck Bed Audio feature.

If it can't be running at all while in gear, why would the idle stop / start pop up even bother coming up?
The AC outlet will still operate in 150W mode if the vehicle is in "on" or "accessory" mode, with or without the engine running, and regardless of the gear selection.

Idle stop won't allow the engine to shut off if the AC outlet is in 150W mode, the engine is running, and the vehicle is in drive.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Yes.

If you set the AC outlet power mode to 400W, it will change to 150W if you shift from park or turn on the Truck Bed Audio feature.

The AC outlet will still operate in 150W mode if the vehicle is in "on" or "accessory" mode, with or without the engine running, and regardless of the gear selection.

Idle stop won't allow the engine to shut off if the AC outlet is in 150W mode, the engine is running, and the vehicle is in drive.
So there you go. Plug in a nightlight in the power outlet and your Idle Stop should be disabled. ;)

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,391 Posts
Soooo, can that bed power plug just be activated all the time to eliminate the Start / Stop feature?
So there you go. Plug in a nightlight in the power outlet and your Idle Stop should be disabled.
No. The AC power outlet turns off when the vehicle is turned off. The AC power outlet button must be pressed each time the vehicle is turned on to turn the AC power outlet back on.
Soooo, absent some 'unauthorized hack' of the system, no matter what 'trickery' is done with the AC outlet or anything else, the operator is gonna have to push one button to turn-off Auto Idle Stop every time they drive the vehicle.

If that's the case, it might as well be the button designated for the purpose.

Have I got the bottom line?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Except won't you get the glowy light on the dash if you just push the button? Adding a 0.1w LED nightlight to the bed outlet might eliminate Idle Stop and prevent the glowy light on the dash....

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Except won't you get the glowy light on the dash if you just push the [designated for the purpose] button? [Activating] the bed outlet might eliminate Idle Stop and prevent the glowy light on the dash....
With apology for editing the quote .... Fair enuf, choose a different button for the one-push, and yeah I agree 'no glowy light on the dash' is a meaningful difference if it works that way :)

(now we just need someone with a '20 to verify that the glowy 'Idle Stop is Disabled' light doesn't come on when they activate the AC outlet)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(now we just need someone with a '20 to verify that the glowy 'Idle Stop is Disabled' light doesn't come on when they activate the AC outlet)
In my little 2020 visit, I do not recall seeing the amber light coming on when I had the AC enabled.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Round and round we go! Turn on AC Power Outlet every time you start the truck and you won't have to contend with Idle Stop or the glowy indicator light in the dash. But if you want to enable or disable Idle Stop for certain situations, you won't have an indicator to remind you that it is turned off. My guess is that this "fix" will work for some but not everyone.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
My guess is that there are two basic 'camps' ...

1) Those predisposed to be 'Anti ISS' for whatever reason who want the least intrusive method of deactivation and will never acknowledge a 'certain situation' for enabling ISS. They'll welcome the absence of the status indicator, a reminder of a 'feature' they wish for whatever reason they didn't have to begin with. Probably some fraction of that camp will undertake a 'permanent unauthorized hack' mod when that opportunity presents. They're not unlike those with the 'Anti VCM' mindset.

2) Those predisposed to accept the 'feature' who will enable / disable as 'intended' by Honda, probably finding relatively few occasions to exercise the provided manual disable option, and accepting if not welcoming the status indicator when they do.

Nope, one size does not fit all, ya can't please all the people all the time, etc, etc ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought I would hate the stop/start, but it is one of the better implementations that I have used. If I could push a button to permanently disable it I would, but as it is it simply isn't worth troubling with. I can shake my fist in indignation or I can just get on with my life. It's really not that bad.

·
Registered
2020 Deep Scarlet RTL-E
1 Posts
If the brake pedal is not depressed all the way the idle stop will not activate. You can still be at a stop with partial break pressure and keep the engine running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really like the idle start/stop system but I did accidentally find a way to disable it permanently it seems. Just install a hardwired dashcam. In my case, I'm using a Blackvue DR900S-1ch with a Power Magic Pro set to turn off the dashcam when the battery voltage drops below 12v. After the install start/stop 100% never happens. My best guess is that if the battery voltage is below some specific number, the start/stop system never activates for the rest of the ride. I'll try to get something to tell me the battery voltage at some point so I can do more testing.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
I really like the idle start/stop system but I did accidentally find a way to disable it permanently it seems. Just install a hardwired dashcam. In my case, I'm using a Blackvue DR900S-1ch with a Power Magic Pro set to turn off the dashcam when the battery voltage drops below 12v. After the install start/stop 100% never happens. My best guess is that if the battery voltage is below some specific number, the start/stop system never activates for the rest of the ride. I'll try to get something to tell me the battery voltage at some point so I can do more testing.
At 12.0 volts, an AGM battery has only a 25% state of charge. Discharging even an AGM battery that deeply dramatically reduces its life expectancy.

It's only a matter of time until the "Auto Engine Idle Stop Unavailable" message appears followed by a "Charging System Problem" message followed by a vehicle that won't start.

You'll should see charging voltages vary between 12.5 and 15.8 volts in 0.1 volt increments.

Honda considers the battery to be "bad" if it has <60% SOC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure who manufactures the AGM for the Honda but Odyssey says that it's worst case 35% at 12.0 volts with a completely open circuit (https://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-TM-002_1214.pdf). Also I've yet to have my dashcam shut off so I haven't even reached that voltage, plus the Power Magic Pro varies shut off voltage by temperature (supposedly) so I've probably been quite a bit higher than that. Still no auto idle stop, but additionally no messages. Also this same setup has never killed a battery in any vehicle I've ever had, but 4 cars and 2 motorcycle is probably too small of a sample size and where I live it doesn't get terribly cold. Even if it does kill a battery quicker (which it most certainly will), it's cheaper and simpler than getting add on lithium based batteries to do parking mode recording. I may experiment with the 12.5v shut-off setting just to see if that also keeps auto idle stop from working.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts