Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the first winter that since I've bought the RL. Something I noticed when I started it up the other morning. Truck obviously was in park with the E brake on. When it started I noticed a transmission surge that made the truck try to move forward. Truck is still in park. I thought no big deal. Today I used the remote start (Truck outside). From 40 feet away as the truck started I saw it surge forward again. Truck in Park with the E brake on. I was in a parking garage and I park very close to the wall. I thought it may moved enough that It hit the wall, but didn't, but close. Why would this thing try to move at all? Has anyone else experienced this anomaly. Never noticed it till it became cold outside.

·
Registered
2020 RT-L Obsidian Blue Pearl, 2014 CRV
16 Posts
It's the first winter that since I've bought the RL. Something I noticed when I started it up the other morning. Truck obviously was in park with the E brake on. When it started I noticed a transmission surge that made the truck try to move forward. Truck is still in park. I thought no big deal. Today I used the remote start (Truck outside). From 40 feet away as the truck started I saw it surge forward again. Truck in Park with the E brake on. I was in a parking garage and I park very close to the wall. I thought it may moved enough that It hit the wall, but didn't, but close. Why would this thing try to move at all? Has anyone else experienced this anomaly. Never noticed it till it became cold outside.
I am also a recent new owner of a Ridgeline & just started using the remote start. I park on a level surface outside & have never used the e brake. I have not noticed a surge when remote starting but will keep a closer watch when starting From now on.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
71 Posts
Have you tried it without setting the e-brake? Any reason you do set the e-brake? No surge here either but I also don’t use the e-brake.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just watched mine remote start and remain totally still while doing it. When you say surge, you mean the wheels themselves move forward a little? While the e-brake is set? If that's the case your parking pawl may not be seating properly which shouldn't be happening at all, but it's my only guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just watched mine remote start and remain totally still while doing it. When you say surge, you mean the wheels themselves move forward a little? While the e-brake is set? If that's the case your parking pawl may not be seating properly which shouldn't be happening at all, but it's my only guess.
Yes, the whole truck will try to move forward when starting engine. I do always set the parking brake before shifting to park. Habit after living in the mountains. Hills are tough on transmissions (parking paw) when you shift into park then set the brake. Although both times have been on flat and level ground. I will try it without the e brake set but that really shouldn't cause this issue. Once the door is opened the trans shifts to park so either way something seems up. My right upshift paddle hasn't worked since I bought it. So I'll be taking it in to have that fixed and let them know about the cold start up.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
100 Posts
I've used the Emergency Brake on several occasions and never had a Surge of movement when starting. Suggest taking a Video to share with the Dealer.

·
Administrator
17,202 Posts
With the parking brake engaged, the vehicle should not move forward or backward at all, although you might notice the front or rear lift or squat slightly if torque is applied to the front wheels.

Without the parking brake engaged, the vehicle should not move forward or backward by more than an inch or two. Any movement should be limited to amount of backlash between the gears and parking pawl inside the transaxle.

In order for the vehicle to move more than an inch or two, both the parking pawl and parking brake would have to fail and a clutch in the transmission would have to be stuck on.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
With the parking brake engaged, the vehicle should not move forward or backward at all, although you might notice the front or rear lift or squat slightly if torque is applied to the front wheels.

Without the parking brake engaged, the vehicle should not move forward or backward by more than an inch or two. Any movement should be limited to amount of backlash between the gears and parking pawl inside the transaxle.

In order for the vehicle to move more than an inch or two, both the parking pawl and parking brake would have to fail and a clutch in the transmission would have to be stuck on.
I thought mine was moving the first few times I brought it home. Thought I was already going to have to take it back. Then my friend noticed it wasnt rolling so much as it visibly, as he described it, jumped. I had him get in and put it in park and I saw it was actually squatting in front a little when put in park but didn't actually roll.
If I had seen an actual roll like the OP I would have been back at the dealer the next day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to dealer to have my paddle upshift switch replaced and they couldn't duplicate the issue about the surge issue. After thinking about it I think I found the problem (me). With everything push button these days including the push button shifter sometimes I forget to put it in park before I turn of the engine. After a few attempts it appears to only surge forward if I don't put it in park before turning off the ignition. If I put it in park first no problems. Not smart I know but It's my error. All is well.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
71 Posts
Went to dealer to have my paddle upshift switch replaced and they couldn't duplicate the issue about the surge issue. After thinking about it I think I found the problem (me). With everything push button these days including the push button shifter sometimes I forget to put it in park before I turn of the engine. After a few attempts it appears to only surge forward if I don't put it in park before turning off the ignition. If I put it in park first no problems. Not smart I know but It's my error. All is well.
Hmm, I’ve done that before. No surge either. Thats a built in feature to automatically shift to park when pressing the ignition off so can’t imagine why it would surge forward unless that has to do with setting the parking brake as well.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
So a related question here, have any of you northerners had an issue with the parking brake freezing up in winter? I was taught not to set the parking brake in winter unless some extraordinary circumstance was present like parking on a hill or something because a wet brake could freeze and you wouldn’t be able to move the car. I have only had this happen with my semi though. Also all those older cars had drums in back which made this more likely.
Does the Ridgeline use the disks in the rear as parking brakes or does it have a tiny drum brake in rear like my Mustang did that only operates as a parking brake?
I imagine if the parking brake did freeze up one could put it in sand mode thereby locking the rear axle and break it loose.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
71 Posts
So a related question here, have any of you northerners had an issue with the parking brake freezing up in winter? I was taught not to set the parking brake in winter unless some extraordinary circumstance was present like parking on a hill or something because a wet brake could freeze and you wouldn’t be able to move the car. I have only had this happen with my semi though. Also all those older cars had drums in back which made this more likely.
Does the Ridgeline use the disks in the rear as parking brakes or does it have a tiny drum brake in rear like my Mustang did that only operates as a parking brake?
I imagine if the parking brake did freeze up one could put it in sand mode thereby locking the rear axle and break it loose.
I never use the parking brake unless I’m on a hill, working on the vehicle, or it’s a manual trans for the same fear of it freezing up.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
With my Accord with manual trans, I ALWAYS used the parking brake, through sixteen South Dakota winters and 165k miles, in all kinds of conditions. I NEVER had the parking brake freeze up.

Back on the farm, when I parked in mud, I often had the tires freeze to the ground, and had to break those loose. But I never used the parking brake on any of those vehicles. I rarely use it on the Ridgeline, either. Just a hard habit to get into with an automatic trans, even though my habits were automatic with the manual trans. :unsure: 😁

In short, I would not be concerned about it freezing up at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2020 ridgeline with eight thousand miles it's been pretty cold here in Wisconsin the past few week. The truck is parked in my garage the other day I started it up with the remote starter and as it was starting the truck moved ahead a couple of inches. Has anyone seen this?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2020 ridgeline with eight thousand miles it's been pretty cold here in Wisconsin the past few week. The truck is parked in my garage the other day I started it up with the remote starter and as it was starting the truck moved ahead a couple of inches. Has anyone seen this?
That's Spooky!

·
Registered
513 Posts
The parking prawl on my 2019 is not that precise and I could see it moving an inch or two if I didn't set the parking brake. Not sure how it is on the 2020, but I have long had the habit of setting the parking brake and I know it wouldn't do that on mine with the brake set.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 2020 has done the same thing twice so far. I thought it was going to run into the house, moved about a foot then rocked back in forth like you shoved it in park while still moving. I really wish I had my 2019 with a Honda transmission but someone rear ended me and totaled that one. I also now have the Jello hood on highway, I love my ridgeline buy man quality is really taking a crap. Im going to see what develops with the 2022 Tundra. It would be nice if Honda tightened up on qc and put the 10 speed in it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts