Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Your 2020 really moved a foot forward when in Park?! My garage is level so I don't often set the parking brake. I park really close to a heater in front to save room to swing open the tailgate in back when the garage door is closed. If my RL moved forward a foot on remote start, it would hit the heater. That's nuts!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yeah a foot sounds a bit hard to believe. I'd definitely be testing that out myself somewhere to see if something is wrong with the way the transmission is engaging park. But still, it's best to get into the habit of using the parking brake. If you're in the habit of not using it you are much more likely to forget it when you do need it.

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
That's three reports of 2020 Ridgelines rolling during a remote start so far. Never saw a report on a 2017-2019 with the 6-speed transmission suggesting this is "normal" for the 9-speed or there may be a problem.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
...But still, it's best to get into the habit of using the parking brake. If you're in the habit of not using it you are much more likely to forget it when you do need it.
True enough, but I've always been very conscious of my parking situation when I turn off a vehicle and decide whether to set the parking brake or not. The one factor that most often comes into play is wet driving conditions plus freezing temperatures. I'm reluctant to use the parking brake if there's a good chance it will freeze up while the truck is parked. It's no fun when that happens.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Is the Ridgeline's parking brake prone to freezing? I've never heard of it myself, but I'm sure it would be much less likely in Texas than in more northern climes. I may find out soon though. Supposed to get down close to 0 degrees fahrenheit in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I use the remote start all summer to cool down and the winter to warm up.

It's always right where I left it.

It's a 2017.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had 5 ridgelines. Seems like quality has only deteriorated. Had zf9 in Acura tlx & mdx and they were ok at best. ZF9 trans seems better in the Ridge, except for the whole surge forward with remote start thing. Honestly it was 6-8 in but still scary, even the wife noticed and asked what happened. So far it has only happened twice in 17k miles, but still not good. I still feel it is one of the best options out there for overall usability & quality. I wonder if Honda will ever put in the 10sp

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
2 Posts
2020 RTL-E owner here and have experienced the surge forward twice now with the remote start. First time I saw it, it scared the crap outta me. Vehicle prolly only surged about 3 to 4" but the first time it happened it seemed like it lunged a football fields length.
Conditions both times - parked in the garage (level) no parking brake set. Vehicle was placed into push button park setting before shutting down the previous drive. Outside temp was around 45 degrees F

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had mine do it without the remote start after getting gas I must have timed it just right when my foot just lease from the brake as I pushing the start button.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
It's the first winter that since I've bought the RL. Something I noticed when I started it up the other morning. Truck obviously was in park with the E brake on. When it started I noticed a transmission surge that made the truck try to move forward. Truck is still in park. I thought no big deal. Today I used the remote start (Truck outside). From 40 feet away as the truck started I saw it surge forward again. Truck in Park with the E brake on. I was in a parking garage and I park very close to the wall. I thought it may moved enough that It hit the wall, but didn't, but close. Why would this thing try to move at all? Has anyone else experienced this anomaly. Never noticed it till it became cold outside.
Both my 2020 and 2021 do the same. I am not using remote start. If if push the brake peddle just enough to activate the ignition and let off the brake even before it completely started both will surge forward a little bit, not even enough to hit the parking paw.

I do not see this as an issue.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Both my 2020 and 2021 do the same. I am not using remote start. If if push the brake peddle just enough to activate the ignition and let off the brake even before it completely started both will surge forward a little bit, not even enough to hit the parking paw.

I do not see this as an issue.
I've been in the automotive industry all my life with many different manufacturers. I have never seen a vehicle lurch forward when being started with the vehicle in park, period. My truck has performed flawlessly. I'm very pleased with the Ridgeline. I do have concerns with the characteristics of this transmission. In addition to the surge forward I don't like it when you first shift into drive upon a cold start that it feels like you have a broken transmission or motor mount. It has 2 delayed "thumps" before it actually engages into gear. I'm real careful adding accelerator input until it finally lands in gear. Once warmed up it's fine. Again, love the truck but I do have concerns. Time will tell.

·
Registered
188 Posts
With the two thumps, that at least is explained through both the front differential and the rear wheel clutch packs receiving power one after the other. It is rougher than I’d like, but that’s how they programmed their cold start software to behave.

Reactions: speedlever

·
Registered
217 Posts
2020 RTL-E here with about 2700 miles on it so far. I set the parking brake EVERY TIME I PARK. That's what it's for.

I've only used remote start once when the truck was in the garage and it was cold. I started it up, let it run for a minute or so, then opened the garage door remotely, then waited a few more minutes before going out. I could not observe any movement since I was inside the house.

I HAVE felt the truck move when starting up normally. Again, parking brake ON, foot covering the brake pedal (though not a lot of pressure) start the engine, and once in a while it does lurch forward a bit. I'd suspect without the parking brake on it might actually move forward a bit. It definitely feels like more than just the engine torque causing movement. To me it feels almost like the transmission is in D for a moment and it's pulling against the brake, like would happen if you stopped and held the brake, then pushed on the throttle.

I wonder if the ZF9 is somehow actually ending up in D for a moment at startup. Maybe something that is not energized or pressurized is engaged at rest, then disengages? Though if that were the case, I'd suspect the behavior would probably be observable on other vehicles that use the same transmission.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I've been in the automotive industry all my life with many different manufacturers. I have never seen a vehicle lurch forward when being started with the vehicle in park, period. My truck has performed flawlessly. I'm very pleased with the Ridgeline. I do have concerns with the characteristics of this transmission. In addition to the surge forward I don't like it when you first shift into drive upon a cold start that it feels like you have a broken transmission or motor mount. It has 2 delayed "thumps" before it actually engages into gear. I'm real careful adding accelerator input until it finally lands in gear. Once warmed up it's fine. Again, love the truck but I do have concerns. Time will tell.
“Lurch” is not the word for what I am feeling. It is a small surge at best. It Only happen when the engine is cold.
No thumps here!

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,914 Posts
I am a regular user of the P/E brake on all my vehicles. That being said, I'm a bit surprised no one here has commented on what happens when the battery dies after you set the electric E/P brake.:eek:

(E=emergency = P=parking brake)

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I am a regular user of the P/E brake on all my vehicles. That being said, I'm a bit surprised no one here has commented on what happens when the battery dies after you set the electric E/P brake.:eek:

(E=emergency = P=parking brake)
I own several BMW's with the electric parking brake but the Ridgeline has a pedal that you use to set and release the brake. I was not aware that it was tied to the electrical system at all. It feels like the old school cable type. Interesting.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts