Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

2241 - 2260 of 2474 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Local dealer doesn't have any 9 spd pilots so I haven't had the opportunity to try it out. Was waiting on 2020 in hopes of getting power fold mirrors...(small garage). Anyone know the width of the RL mirror to mirror? Did a search but all I could find was width with mirrors folded. Power fold mirrors aren't my only hope for 2020, but it is a concern.
Don't get your hopes up for power folding mirrors. I think that is extremely unlikely.

Trying to condense this into just one location, What are the reasons folks might not want the 9-speed tranny?
If you search the internet for information concerning that transmission, you'll find a lot of information about problems with it, and even a class action law suit over it. Maybe Honda software will address it, but I don't want to count on it. I DEFINITELY don't want it during the first year that it is used in the Ridgeline.

While it is a VERY different comparison, I'll still throw this out for consideration: The Boeing 737-Max will have a new software update eventually. Would you want to be one of the first passengers aboard an updated plane? And, that will be with Federal oversight.

Since there are known issues with the transmission (including in other Hondas that use it) I think I'll avoid it for a while.

My $0.02, YMMV!

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Unless you're in Canada ;)
(for those that don't know, the Canadian version has power folding mirrors)
Yeah, you folks in Canada get all the cool features! I am envious!

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, a guy can dream can't he.
:p
I'm right there with you on the mirrors which are very convenient and should come with the top tier packages...... BUT after reading about the new transmission issues, I may wait until later in the year or 2021 before buying. I went with a first year 2016 Hyundai Tucson with the DTC trans and after many software updates it is almost normal but not 100%.....

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I'm right there with you on the mirrors which are very convenient and should come with the top tier packages...... BUT after reading about the new transmission issues, I may wait until later in the year or 2021 before buying. I went with a first year 2016 Hyundai Tucson with the DTC trans and after many software updates it is almost normal but not 100%.....
2020 is not even out yet and it already has transmission issues??:)

·
Registered
620 Posts
2020 is not even out yet and it already has transmission issues??:)
Well, if Honda remains with the 6-speed transmission, it is currently plagued with the probability of overheating the fluid, which leads to fluid degradation, which leads to judder, which leads to transmission damage, ultimately leading to the transmissions demise, (I hope that I got that order right?)

If Honda switches and installs the 9-speed transmission, then the future appears even more bleak considering current experience? https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/2020-release-date.213638/page-113#post-3092734

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Likely because we are paying a > 25% premium on the $. Maintenance Schedule is Severe Service.
It all adds up to perceived value.
Not really. If you use the exchange rate and the sticker price for the most equivalent Gen2 trims in each country, you're paying a lot less and get a lot more. The US buyer is getting screwed by Honda North America.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am just bringing this forward to ask again since the original post received no response?

Bill
I’ve owned one 6+ speed transmission vehicle and test driven several and to me, the issue is personal preference and driver experience. The transmission in question that I’ve owned was an 8 speed transmission in a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4. The primary issue reported by my wife who primarily drove the vehicle was the excessive gear hunting at speeds under 35mph and again when trying to quickly accelerate (stepping on it). I experienced the same and found it shifted harshly, was indecisive and on two occasions I narrowly escaped a collision. I never towed anything so I can’t comment on the performance in that area.

I test drove these 2018 / 2019 vehicles and found the 6+ speed transmissions to exhibit the same characteristics as the one in the Jeep. In order - Chevrolet Silverado, Dodge Ram, Ford Ranger, Ford F-150 Jeep Grand Cherokee (had to make sure it wasn’t just ours) and Honda Pilot Elite and lastly a Honda Pilot EX-L AWD with the 6 speed.

Ultimately, we opted for a 2019 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD with the 6 speed as it drove the smoothest and had zero gear hunting.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not really. If you use the exchange rate and the sticker price for the most equivalent Gen2 trims in each country, you're paying a lot less and get a lot more.
Thanks for the correction. My bad for thinking Honda pricing for Canada followed most things in the USA.
Checked my local dealership for pricing and saw the following advertised prices in CAD:
2018 Touring $51,100
2019 EX-L $45,277
2 x 2019 Sport $42,577
1 x 2019 Sport $42,277

To put things into perspective $45,000 CAD = 33878.02 USD
Keep in mind, locally there are 13% in sales taxes added to those numbers.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Thanks for the correction. My bad for thinking Honda pricing for Canada followed most things in the USA.
Checked my local dealership for pricing and saw the following advertised prices in CAD:
2018 Touring $51,100
2019 EX-L $45,277
2 x 2019 Sport $42,577
1 x 2019 Sport $42,277

To put things into perspective $45,000 CAD = 33878.02 USD
Keep in mind, locally there are 13% in sales taxes added to those numbers.
We have sales taxes, destination charges, etc. as well. So the fairest comparison is the advertised MSRP for the most equivalently equipped trim. Since the Canadian trims very greatly from it's US counterparts, it's most fair to look at the BE in both countries. The current MSRP for the Canadian BE is $49,990 CAD, that's $37,635 USD. The current MSRP for the US BE is $43,420 USD, that's $57,660 CAD.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't get your hopes up for power folding mirrors. I think that is extremely unlikely.

If you search the internet for information concerning that transmission, you'll find a lot of information about problems with it, and even a class action law suit over it. Maybe Honda software will address it, but I don't want to count on it. I DEFINITELY don't want it during the first year that it is used in the Ridgeline.

While it is a VERY different comparison, I'll still throw this out for consideration: The Boeing 737-Max will have a new software update eventually. Would you want to be one of the first passengers aboard an updated plane? And, that will be with Federal oversight.

Since there are known issues with the transmission (including in other Hondas that use it) I think I'll avoid it for a while.

My $0.02, YMMV!
If you search the internet for problems about any machine, you will find them. I know this brutal, but I always find it crazy that internet sleuths think they know better than Honda (or any motor manufacturing company) about what parts are reliable. The bias is that not everyone goes online and posts when their transmission performs perfectly, and people post more about new machines, since there is not as much information already available.

Of course, companies make mistakes (putting potential profit ahead of R&D) and you find this out when something is manufactured at scale, but, in general, if a company rolls something out, they believe it is at least as reliable and performs better, and they probably know better than you either way. There is no solid reason to freak out and not buy a 2020 if it comes with the 9 speed.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The internet makes it difficult for past failures to shake their labels. The following come to mind:

Audi sudden acceleration
Honda Odyssey transmissions from the early 2000's.
Oldsmobile Diesel
Chevy Vega
Honda Accord rear brake pad issues of the early 2000's
VCM
9 Speed

I often read about TLX owners that will never touch another 9 speed.

Then there's VCM. Some think it's 2010 and the VCM in their 2017+ Ridgeline is going to detonate despite the VCM redesign.

One thing for sure, the 9 speed will cost big bucks to maintain compared to the 6 speed. Are it's benefits worth it for this extra cost in a vehicle like a Ridgelnie? Doesn't matter anymore because if you want a 2020 you have no option.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Sigh... Haven't checked the forum in almost a week and saw there were over four pages of posts here. Was hoping we would see something by the end of Nov, but nothing. I'm not in the market, but I've been following this thread for a very long time. It's like reading a book with unbelievably long exposition and no climax or ending to be seen.

·
Super Moderator
12,790 Posts
The 2020 Passport PDI instructions were released this morning, so that leaves the 2020 Clarity, Civic Type R, and Ridgeline. The first two are much lower volume vehicles than the Ridgeline. We still may be 2-3 weeks away from a release.
2020 Passport was just announced. Guess we are pretty much last :p
This continues the trend of PDI instructions appearing a couple of weeks before official announcements. There are still no PDI instructions for the 2020 Ridgeline.

2241 - 2260 of 2474 Posts