Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2281 - 2300 of 2592 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
...and then there's me - the weirdo that turns a vehicle every year, yet maintains it by the book using exclusively OE parts. One could argue that I'm wasting my time and money even on oil changes, but I like to know that the next owner is getting a vehicle that is as close to new as possible. Unfortunately, few others share this mindset which is one of the reasons why I don't buy used vehicles. :)
I don't buy used vehicles either, but I'm not using OEM branded oil. Honda, or any mfr. just pays some third party for oil and sticks their name on it. I've never seen OEM oil as good as other options such as Amsoil. As long as Amsoil, Redline, or whatever other oil company meets mfr. stated standards, owners are free to use what they want.

Totally agree with you on used vehicles. You don't know how it was driven, how the motor was broke in, etc.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Why does it seem like every thread on this forum, or any other automobile forum, eventually ends up in an oil debate?
Not an oil debate. Owners are just free to use the oil of their choosing as long as it meets OEM standards. I don't think it's a debate stating a fact.

·
Registered
370 Posts
We've broken 115 pages....still no 2020 RL :p

Only OEM fluids I use are the ones specific to Honda (VTM-4, Dual Pump (CRV), power steering (some years), transmission).

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
I've never bought a new vehicle in my life and have been fortunate. The last three vehicles I've purchased have had extremely good records that were easily attainable. Our 13 Highlander was owned by an older retired couple. Dealer maintained and only put 35k miles on it in 3 years. Our 05 Accord had higher miles on it when we bought it (85k), but it, too, was owned by an older couple who had owned Accords since the late 80's and bought from the same dealer for 25+ years. They would buy an Accord, put 15k miles on a year, and trade them after 5 years. All strictly dealer maintained and in near perfect condition when trading. My truck was purchased from a private party. The original owner had a stack of paperwork showing the maintenance items done as he was a retired police officer who had nothing better to do than hunt, fish, and go to the dealership for free coffee.

So I totally get the thought of not knowing how the vehicle was broken in or driven, but there are also really great financial benefits to buying a pre-owned vehicle at a substantially lower price and driving it for 8-10 years.

·
Administrator
13,329 Posts
Honda, or any mfr. just pays some third party for oil and sticks their name on it. I've never seen OEM oil as good as other options such as Amsoil. As long as Amsoil, Redline, or whatever other oil company meets mfr. stated standards, owners are free to use what they want.
Well, not exactly... While automakers do rely on third parties to supply their oil because they don't have their own refineries, they tell the suppliers how to formulate the oil for their engines. For example, Honda oil is made by Phillips 66, but it's a propriety blend made to Honda's specifications. Honda has published technical papers explaining the differences between Honda-branded oil and others with the same viscosity and grade. A rose is not a rose. :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Well, not exactly... While automakers do rely on third parties to supply their oil because they don't have their own refineries, they tell the suppliers how to formulate the oil for their engines. For example, Honda oil is made by Phillips 66, but it's a propriety blend made to Honda's specifications. Honda has published technical papers explaining the differences between Honda-branded oil and others with the same viscosity and grade. A rose is not a rose. :)
That was my point. Honda doesn't make the oil, it's farmed out. And there are better options than Honda branded oil on the market. They make and brand their oil like most any vehicle manufacturer out there, to make money.

·
Administrator
13,329 Posts
And there are better options than Honda branded oil on the market.
Better in what way?

They make and brand their oil like most any vehicle manufacturer out there, to make money.
They brand it, but they don't make it, remember? :) Do you really think Honda-branded oils are a significant revenue stream for Honda? The majority of dealers use bulk oil from local suppliers - not Honda-branded oil from quarts or drums. Honda Manufacturing of Alabama alone uses over 1,500 gallons of oil each day. How many people do you think actually buy or specify Honda-branded oil for oil changes? Honda engineers developed an oil formulation tweaked to meet durability and emission requirements for their engines, has it made by a third party, uses it in every vehicle they make, and makes it available over the counter in quarts for "customer like me". :)

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Owners are just free to use the oil of their choosing as long as it meets OEM standards. I don't think it's a debate stating a fact.
Actually, owners are free to use any oil that their little heart desires even if the oil does not meet OEM standards. I, for one, use waste cooking oil from my local McDonalds. :giggle:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Better in what way?
Better protection, longer service life.

They brand it, but they don't make it, remember? :) Do you really think Honda-branded oils are a significant revenue stream for Honda? The majority of dealers use bulk oil from local suppliers - not Honda-branded oil from quarts or drums. Honda Manufacturing of Alabama alone uses over 1,500 gallons of oil each day. How many people do you think actually buy or specify Honda-branded oil for oil changes? Honda engineers developed an oil formulation tweaked to meet durability and emission requirements for their engines, has it made by a third party, uses it in every vehicle they make, and makes it available over the counter in quarts for "customer like me". :)
If it didn't make money for Honda then Honda wouldn't bother. Honda isn't a family member, it's a corporation. A corporation's entire existence is to make money, and that's it. Anything more is marketing. They go about having Honda oil made to do one thing, make money. If it did not generate revenue they would not go to the trouble. It's made for the folks who are insistent that whatever oil or lube the mfr. brands is the best. It obviously works or they would not continue.

Arguing incessantly about this has gone past anything meaningful in any sort of way. Have a nice day :)

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
Not to fuel the oil fire here, but I have used Pennzoil Platinum mostly with the occasional use of Valvoline, Castrol, or even Mobil 1 if Platinum wasn't available for any reason. Most all synthetic oil these days is REALLY good. You're splitting hairs with which is "better". All of them, if changed regularly, will get a well-built engine into many hundreds of thousands of miles. I use a synthetic gear oil for the transfer case and all other fluids in the truck are Honda brand.

Now back to our regularly scheduled waiting period for 2020 RL release.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it didn't make money for Honda then Honda wouldn't bother. Honda isn't a family member, it's a corporation. A corporation's entire existence is to make money, and that's it. Anything more is marketing. They go about having Honda oil made to do one thing, make money. If it did not generate revenue they would not go to the trouble. It's made for the folks who are insistent that whatever oil or lube the mfr. brands is the best. It obviously works or they would not continue.
Amsoil and Redline are non-profits? (Great... I got sucked into the oil debate.🤦‍♂️)

·
Registered
792 Posts
I am still waiting for that impartial research study with proof positive that this engine wore out sooner, or this engine lasted longer, based entirely on the particular oil being used!

Bill

·
Administrator
13,329 Posts
Better protection, longer service life.
When examples of Ridgelines on this forum have demonstrated making it past 300K miles on bulk oil from dealerships and serviced no more frequently than indicated by the Maintenance Minder, I don't understand the need for "better protection" or "longer service life". How long do you keep your vehicles? 500K? A million miles? :)

In other words, if minimum-quality oil changed only per the MM yields that kind of service life, what then is the motivation to change the oil more frequently or using an oil that claims to be of higher quality? I'll bet my cleanest pair of underwear that most engines that start smoking or knocking before 100K miles are either designed so poorly that NO oil could prevent their early demise (Chrysler 2.x engines, I'm lookin' at you) or maintenance has been grossly neglected by thousands or tens of thousands of miles beyond the manufacturer's recommendation.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My G1's system warns that it's time to change the oil at 5k, which is what I've always done - most of the time using synthetic. Our Lexus GX460 comes due at 10k, so that's what we've done on that one (not sure what oil the dealer uses). Haven't decided yet what to do with the G2 - maybe go with what the truck tells me (unless it wants to go past 10k) and use synthetic? It's only at about 1k, so got time to consider it.

2281 - 2300 of 2592 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.