Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2301 - 2320 of 2592 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
My G1's system warns that it's time to change the oil at 5k, which is what I've always done - most of the time using synthetic. Our Lexus GX460 comes due at 10k, so that's what we've done on that one (not sure what oil the dealer uses). Haven't decided yet what to do with the G2 - maybe go with what the truck tells me (unless it wants to go past 10k) and use synthetic? It's only at about 1k, so got time to consider it.
GenI's maintenance minder is not based on a 5K interval. It's based on the type of driving / driving conditions that you do. In general I have found that if you do the type of driving / conditions that gets you good (for a GenI) overall gas mileage your oil change interval will be longer (as long as 7k miles) while driving / conditions that gets you crappy gas mileage will result in a shorter oil change intervals. GenII is likely to be the same.

·
Super Moderator
6,925 Posts
GenI's maintenance minder is not based on a 5K interval. It's based on the type of driving / driving conditions that you do. In general I have found that if you do the type of driving / conditions that gets you good (for a GenI) overall gas mileage your oil change interval will be longer (as long as 7k miles) while driving / conditions that gets you crappy gas mileage will result in a shorter oil change intervals. GenII is likely to be the same.
Completely Agree! Mine has varied from 6k to 8k depending on driving types (City/Highway)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
When examples of Ridgelines on this forum have demonstrated making it past 300K miles on bulk oil from dealerships and serviced no more frequently than indicated by the Maintenance Minder, I don't understand the need for "better protection" or "longer service life". How long do you keep your vehicles? 500K? A million miles? :)
You will never understand it because you don't keep anything longer than a year or two anyway. I've split cases before and could eat off the surfaces once cleaned. Any motor, don't care if Honda, Yamaha, or whatever company makes it doesn't really matter as it pertains to using solid high quality stuff in it. Oh the horror, using top quality top rated, synthetic oil, which cost what? A couple bucks more per quart? Here is the thing zroger. You don't sign my checks and you aren't paying for my vehicles. They are mine. I bought them, I paid for them, I am keeping them, long term. What is it about this that bothers you so much about what other people do with things they own, which they pay for, and different to how you do it? You are basically ranting at this point at people doing things differently than you. It all started with no just me talking about using better oil, sending samples to Blackstone, and nailing down the right time to change said oil. That's worth all this? Wow. :)

I've already stated this so at this point it's absolutely and completely pointless. Better oil, better protection, longer OCI's. Less labor/time, less $ long term, and like you stated, not me, less throwing oil away that's still good. By the time I figure out my intervals in my vehicles it costs me less time, and less money long term than doing what you are doing, and I've got better oil in the motor and have lab analysis to make sure my 35k investment is running like a Swiss watch. Like I said before I understand, you don't keep anything long enough to be concerned with any of this.

I won't even get into by-pass filters or that you should be checking your dipstick before the little maintenance minder comes on to make sure you aren't burning or losing any oil.

This thread is about the 2020 Ridgeline. Let's get it back to that. I don't think I have ever e-talked to someone who has such issues with how other people do with what they own, bought, and pay for.

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
You will never understand it because you don't keep anything longer than a year or two anyway. I've split cases before and could eat off the surfaces once cleaned. Any motor, don't care if Honda, Yamaha, or whatever company makes it doesn't really matter as it pertains to using solid high quality stuff in it. Oh the horror, using top quality top rated, synthetic oil, which cost what? A couple bucks more per quart? Here is the thing zroger. You don't sign my checks and you aren't paying for my vehicles. They are mine. I bought them, I paid for them, I am keeping them, long term. What is it about this that bothers you so much about what other people do with things they own, which they pay for, and different to how you do it? You are basically ranting at this point at people doing things differently than you. It all started with no just me talking about using better oil, sending samples to Blackstone, and nailing down the right time to change said oil. That's worth all this? Wow. :)

I've already stated this so at this point it's absolutely and completely pointless. Better oil, better protection, longer OCI's. Less labor/time, less $ long term, and like you stated, not me, less throwing oil away that's still good. By the time I figure out my intervals in my vehicles it costs me less time, and less money long term than doing what you are doing, and I've got better oil in the motor and have lab analysis to make sure my 35k investment is running like a Swiss watch. Like I said before I understand, you don't keep anything long enough to be concerned with any of this.

I won't even get into by-pass filters or that you should be checking your dipstick before the little maintenance minder comes on to make sure you aren't burning or losing any oil.

This thread is about the 2020 Ridgeline. Let's get it back to that. I don't think I have ever e-talked to someone who has such issues with how other people do with what they own, bought, and pay for.
Sorry man but I don't see how you get "ranting" or any of your other personal conclusions from the off topic oil discussion that you have been participating in. I do agree that moving back to the topic subject would be wise!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looks like they just used the 2019 description - 6 speed transmission ....
Yeah, they're all over the place. The opening sentence says it's available right now and then later they say arrival next year (2020). Then they speculate on the 9sp and say they expect changes similar to the Pilot. At the end they admit they don't know what the hell to expect. One of the worst descriptions/articles I've read.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'm thinking we will see them on a transporter before Honda officially announces. Obviously I was wrong about disguised units running around Alabama like they did for the PIlot.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I still think they may let the Ridgeline go the way of the Crosstour. Dealers across the country sat on a ton of these for months even years. Many of the Honda dealers in Southern California don't even stock them because they can't sell them. Same in Arizona. I just went to the fairly big auto show in Phoenix and everyone has their 2020's out including every Honda except for the Ridgeline.?? I hope they don't bail on it but I would not be surprised. There's too much completion in the segment now and Nissan is going to throw a totally new Frontier in the mix.

That and Jeep can't make enough of those silly 50k Gladiator's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm thinking we will see them on a transporter before Honda officially announces. Obviously I was wrong about disguised units running around Alabama like they did for the PIlot.
Maybe you are right, I actually had a dealer in Georgia tell me yesterday that they have a 2020 RTL arriving between Dec 6th-10th. Most dealers will say just about anything but to specify the dates was interesting.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My local dealer inventory just went from 17 to 29 all 2019's, 21 Sports, 8 RTL's. Where is all this stuff coming from and how much is left unsold? Bring in the 2020's and let the 2019's sit some more to get a great deal. For those that don't want the safety bits, it's at the point now where the expenditure of 1k or whatever for the E headlights and harnesses can be a consideration.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm trying to work a deal with two different dealers. Both have what I'm looking for on order and set to arrive by 12-9. Neither, however, seem to have much information about them with respect to differences b/w 2019 and 2020 models. Both expect no major changes, but apparently there isn't much communication b/w Honda and the dealers about it. That, or the sales reps I'm working with are just uninformed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, they're all over the place. The opening sentence says it's available right now and then later they say arrival next year (2020). Then they speculate on the 9sp and say they expect changes similar to the Pilot. At the end they admit they don't know what the hell to expect. One of the worst descriptions/articles I've read.
I've seen an internal order confirmation from a dealer about a 2020 that I'm interested inthat is cryptic, but seems to suggest that it may have a 9sp. Assuming it does have a 9sp instead of the previous 6sp. What would you folks think? Enthusiastic about the 9 vs. 6? Indifferent? What would be the expected benefits?

·
Administrator
13,329 Posts
I've seen an internal order confirmation from a dealer about a 2020 that I'm interested inthat is cryptic, but seems to suggest that it may have a 9sp. Assuming it does have a 9sp instead of the previous 6sp. What would you folks think? Enthusiastic about the 9 vs. 6? Indifferent? What would be the expected benefits?
With all due respect and I realize you're new to this forum, but please read this thread. The 6AT vs. the 9AT has been discussed to death already.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm trying to work a deal with two different dealers. Both have what I'm looking for on order and set to arrive by 12-9. Neither, however, seem to have much information about them with respect to differences b/w 2019 and 2020 models. Both expect no major changes, but apparently there isn't much communication b/w Honda and the dealers about it. That, or the sales reps I'm working with are just uninformed.
That's on 2020 units, right? Hope you get to see one in person in 5 days.

2301 - 2320 of 2592 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.