Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2341 - 2360 of 2592 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Are there any good threads/examples with 3rd party units installed? And can you explain why this isn't an option for 17-19s but would be for 20? The volume knob situation was one of main things I was waiting to see updated.
Sorry if I was confusing.

1. I dont have any recommendations unfortunately for higher trims but I believe if you search this forum you can find some HU replacement threads on RTLs, but for 3rd party HU recommendation overall that's something prob best found outside this forum.

2. It's not all 17-19 RL's -- it's specifically the RTL-E and Black Edition. There are a ton of settings on those vehicles that are managed in the head unit's OS. If you remove the head unit, while in 99% of cases you're not going to lose the functionality, you DO lose the ability to change the setting if you ever need to make a change.

Nevermind the fact that the RTL-E and BE have the bed audio system and that's 10,000% NOT going to be present in a 3rd party HU. This is why doing a Honda OEM upgrade to the knob'd unit from Pilots and Passports is going to be essential. Someone will be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
It will be interesting to see the pricing. If it stays the same and since the T is now gone that's one expensive radio to go from the RTL to the E. Expect some more shenanigans from Honda, they aren't going to lower the price of the E so they will do something to make the Sport and the RTL more expensive to justify the headlights and the sensing but then you don't get carplay kind of outrageous if you ask me. I'll have to check how much those AGM batteries cost and how long they last but the extra maintenance costs the 9 speed brings are adding up.

Congrats to all those that scored great deals on an E. Even a white one doesn't look bad now

·
Registered
110 Posts
. . . Based on the illustrations, there are no changes to the front grill, instrument cluster, or audio system.

All models include an AGM battery which confirms idle-stop and the ZF 9HP transmission . . .
Hummm . . . an AGM battery and idle-stop: two more reasons I'm really glad I have a 2019. (And we've already discussed the issues with the 9-spd tranny.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
It will be interesting to see the pricing. If it stays the same and since the T is now gone that's one expensive radio to go from the RTL to the E. Expect some more shenanigans from Honda, they aren't going to lower the price of the E so they will do something to make the Sport and the RTL more expensive to justify the headlights and the sensing but then you don't get carplay kind of outrageous if you ask me. I'll have to check how much those AGM batteries cost and how long they last but the extra maintenance costs the 9 speed brings are adding up.

Congrats to all those that scored great deals on an E. Even a white one doesn't look bad now
Where can I find more comparisons on 9 speed vs 6 speed. I am beginning to worry about "maintenance" costs people keep talking about. My Highlander tranny never needs a fluid change.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Where can I find more comparisons on 9 speed vs 6 speed. I am beginning to worry about "maintenance" costs people keep talking about. My Highlander tranny never needs a fluid change.
The 6 speed is just a drain and fill you can do yourself for less than 50 bucks whenever you want.

Here's a good thread on the 9 speed from the PIlot forum. There is a pdf in the thread with the procedure. If there's a way to DIY the 9 speed it would be about 3.5 times as much as DIYing the 6 speed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Regarding trims, the only thing I really want in my 18 Sport is the 8 inch audio with CarPlay. I prefer the black door trim and black wheels over the chrome on the RTLs. Sensing would be cool but not a deal breaker. To have to jump from the Sport to the E just to get CarPlay would be tough.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dealer in Jacksonville called me said they have a 20 on the lot, didn’t look into as I just traded my 17 in on a RAM, but apparently they are out. The AGM Batteries I can confirm as I had mine replaced before I traded in and they gave me a discount because they quoted the price for the old battery. If you replace your battery through the dealer it will be a AGM now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Regarding trims, the only thing I really want in my 18 Sport is the 8 inch audio with CarPlay. I prefer the black door trim and black wheels over the chrome on the RTLs. Sensing would be cool but not a deal breaker. To have to jump from the Sport to the E just to get CarPlay would be tough.
You do mean '20 Sport, right? Hopefully, at least the RTL will have that if not the Sport.

·
Administrator
13,331 Posts
So Honda Sensing doesn’t tie into the head unit in any meaningful way?
I'm pretty sure it does. Which would mean the RTL and sport wouldn't have sensing.
Not true. FCW settings are managed by the head unit. At least on the Black Edition and RTL-E, there are settings in the vehicle settings menu to control distance of FCW and possibly others.
All 2019-2020 Pilot and Passport trims have Honda Sensing. On the lower trims without the Display Audio system (touch screen), the Honda Sensing settings are managed through the Multi-Information Display in the instrument cluster using the steering wheel controls. That's with the newer instrument cluster, though, which the 2020 Ridgeline doesn't get if the PDI instructions are accurate.

Dealer in Jacksonville called me said they have a 20 on the lot, didn’t look into as I just traded my 17 in on a RAM, but apparently they are out. The AGM Batteries I can confirm as I had mine replaced before I traded in and they gave me a discount because they quoted the price for the old battery. If you replace your battery through the dealer it will be a AGM now.

That's the first I've heard of that. Historically, only models with idle-stop get AGM batteries. Models without idle-stop get FLA batteries.

·
Registered
188 Posts
All 2019-2020 Pilot and Passport trims have Honda Sensing. On the lower trims without the Display Audio system (touch screen), the Honda Sensing settings are managed through the Multi-Information Display in the instrument cluster using the steering wheel controls. That's with the newer instrument cluster, though, which the 2020 Ridgeline doesn't get if the PDI instructions are accurate.

That's the first I've heard of that. Historically, only models with idle-stop get AGM batteries. Models without idle-stop get FLA batteries.
I actually wouldn't mind if they did that. Get the sensing but still able to replace the radio myself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah I didn’t think much of it tell others said it’s listing as the battery for the 2020, advisor seemed surprised about the switch as well which led to the discount.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
All models include an AGM battery which confirms idle-stop and the ZF 9HP transmission.
Hummm . . . an AGM battery and idle-stop: two more reasons I'm really glad I have a 2019. (And we've already discussed the issues with the 9-spd tranny.)
🤢🤢 Idle stop 🤢🤢
My brother bought a 2017 Pilot a few weeks before I bought my Ridgeline. He DESPISED the Idle Stop. After about a year it stopped functioning, and he never took it in to be repaired.

I guess if you do mostly highway driving it would not be much of an issue, but if you do a lot of in-town driving, I can see how it would be very annoying.

Maybe I'll wait for a Rivian 1T...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Curious to see when this gets updated. It has a comparison tool.

httpswwwhondainfocenter.com/Ridgeline-Family

·
Registered
502 Posts
GenI's maintenance minder is not based on a 5K interval. It's based on the type of driving / driving conditions that you do. In general I have found that if you do the type of driving / conditions that gets you good (for a GenI) overall gas mileage your oil change interval will be longer (as long as 7k miles) while driving / conditions that gets you crappy gas mileage will result in a shorter oil change intervals. GenII is likely to be the same.
That may be the case for years other than mine - 2007 - but in the 8.5 years and 105k miles I’ve driven it, it has indicated at 5k miles - so about 21 times - whether I only puttered around town, drove the dusty/hilly 3 mile gravel lake road 20 times, or drove 2000 freeway miles to/from my Dad’s house in Sarasota. And every time I checked it between oil changes, if the mileage was 3k, for example, it would read “40%”. No way it’d consistently come to 5k across such varying driving conditions.

·
Administrator
13,331 Posts
I could be wrong but can't the idle stop be disabled?
Temporarily, yes. Idle stop can be disabled for each drive cycle by pressing one button. An orange indicator will illuminate on the instrument cluster letting you know that it's off.

That may be the case for years other than mine - 2007 - but in the 8.5 years and 105k miles I’ve driven it, it has indicated at 5k miles - so about 21 times - whether I only puttered around town, drove the dusty/hilly 3 mile gravel lake road 20 times, or drove 2000 freeway miles to/from my Dad’s house in Sarasota. And every time I checked it between oil changes, if the mileage was 3k, for example, it would read “40%”. No way it’d consistently come to 5k across such varying driving conditions.
That's bizarre. I've owned five Ridgelines myself including three G1's and I've never experienced that or read about it on here in the 11 years I've been a member.

2341 - 2360 of 2592 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.