Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2381 - 2400 of 2592 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Honestly though, does anyone actually trust Honda not to completely F up an infotainment system, even the new ones?
I gotta laugh and shake my head when I see and hear folks criticize modern "entertainment" systems, our two 70's era trucks have AM radios only with a single speaker! :rolleyes:

Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
I gotta laugh and shake my head when I see and hear folks criticize modern "entertainment" systems, our two 70's era trucks have AM radios only with a single speaker! :rolleyes:

Bill
Yeah, I mean civilization has certainly become spoiled by technology. Even compared to the last decade or 2.
My girl recently bought a new passport EX-L and I actually really like the infotainment setup in hers.
Would I like to have it for myself? Of course! But I'm also aware that it's simply an unnecessary amenity.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Moments ago, I just got a reply from Honda Corp customer service to my email asking for 2020 Ridgeline information. I'd been waiting over a week. I had asked for an approximate release date and if the 2020 RL would have 9 speed, power folding turn signal mirrors (like Canada), ventilated front seats, locking tail gate, and new infotainment system.
The reply was...
"At this time we do not have any indications when the 2020 Honda Ridgeline will become available and we do not have any specifications".
I am very disappointed. Its hard to take Honda seriously. I also asked if they had a maintenance interval table (rather than waiting for the maintenance minder to surprise you that something needs to be serviced). They also failed to provide any help. I was really eager to switch from Toyota Highlanders (owned 3 during 2003 - 2019) but as I learn more and more about the additional maintenance (timing belt vs timing chain, AT fluid changes vs sealed for life) and the lack of consumer information and help from Honda Corp, I am wondering if I should get a Tacoma or Tundra now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Moments ago, I just got a reply from Honda Corp customer service to my email asking for 2020 Ridgeline information. I'd been waiting over a week. I had asked for an approximate release date and if the 2020 RL would have 9 speed, power folding turn signal mirrors (like Canada), ventilated front seats, locking tail gate, and new infotainment system.
The reply was...
"At this time we do have any indications when the 2020 Honda Ridgeline will become available and we do not have any specifications".
I am very disappointed. Its hard to take Honda seriously. I also asked if they had a maintenance interval table (rather than waiting for the maintenance minder to surprise you that something needs to be serviced). They also failed to provide any help. I was really eager to switch from Toyota Highlanders (owned 3 during 2003 - 2019) but as I learn more and more about the additional maintenance (timing belt vs timing chain, AT fluid changes vs sealed for life) and the lack of consumer information and help from Honda Corp, I am wondering if I should get a Tacoma or Tundra now.
May be worth checking if the info you want is available with a $10 one day Honda tech info subscription. The 2020 info prob isn't. But should be on there for the 2019 I would think.

Honestly if the Tundra didn't have horrible gas mileage, I'd be driving a double cab at this point. Tacoma is too small for my family's needs, but mpg is good enough for me. Gotta weigh your needs.

I'm annoyed at Honda too if all they did was throw a 9spd in. I expected to match the pilot or passport a little more. Time will tell. I don't like buying a truck midwinter with all the salt. So at this point I'm probably out til spring...unless Honda only threw in a 9spd and I decide to jump on a 19.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The reply was...
"At this time we do have any indications when the 2020 Honda Ridgeline will become available and we do not have any specifications".
Toyota makes very good machines - we have an excellent SUV of theirs, for example - but if you're using the truck primarily for on-road driving, the Ridgeline should be much more capable & comfortable.

Understand the frustration, but honestly why should they provide specifications on a model they haven't released? No disrespect intended.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Funny you
May be worth checking if the info you want is available with a $10 one day Honda tech info subscription. The 2020 info prob isn't. But should be on there for the 2019 I would think.

Honestly if the Tundra didn't have horrible gas mileage, I'd be driving a double cab at this point. Tacoma is too small for my family's needs, but mpg is good enough for me. Gotta weigh your needs.

I'm annoyed at Honda too if all they did was throw a 9spd in. I expected to match the pilot or passport a little more. Time will tell. I don't like buying a truck midwinter with all the salt. So at this point I'm probably out til spring...unless Honda only threw in a 9spd and I decide to jump on a 19.
funny you should say log on for $10. I did that last night. There was only the PDI document as mentioned earlier and a 2020 Ridgeline Navigation owners manual.
A bunch of 2020 RL accessory documents. I also tried to interpret the maintenance minder to see if there was a maintenance interval based on miles. Nothing!
I did find a honda dealer in Walla Walla that listed service items based on miles vs specific vehicle. they claimed diff fluid and spark plugs are replaced every 5,000 miles.
I don't trust dealers at all. They are crooks, especially the service departments - they like to scam people. I may have to write to Honda and express how poorly they interact (see my previous posts that one dealer claimed they had 2020 RL coming in late Oct and they saw the delivery paperwork). Buy a new vehicle is probably the most uncomfortable experience out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dealer in Georgia that said he would have RTL delivered between the 6th - 10th also sent me this following email:
“We will sell you the 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL 2WD for $35,665. Honda only has incentives on 2019 Ridgelines so we can only discount the car $750”
Not sure if this including fees or what, so hard to tell?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
...“We will sell you the 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL 2WD for $35,665. Honda only has incentives on 2019 Ridgelines so we can only discount the car $750”
Not sure if this including fees or what, so hard to tell?
That's the most they can discount it because, of course, Honda sets strict limits on the minimum profit that dealers must take on every vehicle! 😄🤣

·
Registered
162 Posts
The reply was...
"At this time we do not have any indications when the 2020 Honda Ridgeline will become available and we do not have any specifications".

It is lame to not be able to get any real answers out of a company like Honda but I'd have to say it's par for the course. No one goes out of their way to do the right thing anymore. And I'm still not convinced they are not as close to releasing this 2020 as many think so I am not surprised there are not that many concrete facts out there. ( other than the 9 speed thing that someone posted and that makes just makes me happy I got the 2019)

I hear you about the possible more expensive maintenance items like timing belt replacement and the I believe the rear diff fluid change and I thought about that as well before I bought my 2019 RTL-E a few months ago. I was also not particularly thrilled that here had already been a couple of recalls and TSB's on this new vehicle. All of that was eventually taken care of but it was a rocky start for me and after 32 other vehicles ( not counting motorcycles) I was close to not completlng the sale. 4 months and 4k miles in with a very long highway trip ( 1350 miles) towing a trailer I am very happy with this thing. I call it a "TUV" ( truck utility vehicle). My hope is also that the reliability long term proves good so resale values will hold up as well as the Gen 1 Ridgeline's.

That said I needed to replace my 2011 Tundra Limited ( double cab) that I had just sold. The big Tundra is a great, reliable vehicle and even though it is now ( and has been for the last 5 years) extremely dated it is a solid as they come if you need a full size truck and are going to be towing more than 5000 lbs regularly. When I sold my boat I no longer needed to wheel that if rig around (and it's so much bigger than the Honda). The ride and especially the handling in the Tundra (or Tacoma) will never be as good as the Ridgeline for all the obvious reasons. I personally don't undertand the popularity of the Tacoma outside of a 20 something year old getting a used one and customizing the heck out of it to bash it off rocks in the desert. It is uncomfortable to sit in for any length of time as the seating position is like sitting on a old sleigh. The cabin area feels like it has a very low ceiling because it does and to me the whole thing just feels kind of cheap ( even though it's not) . The engine does not sound or feel as smooth as the Honda V-6 and no V-tech either. I found it loud and uncomfortable but I'm not 30 years old anymore.

I know they are proven in every category that matters for a truck like this. Rock solid reliability ( although they did have some frame rust issues a few years ago, very durable, excellent for more extreme off roading, and killer resale values.
I didn't want a fullsize truck but I wanted the bed capabilities. I don't go off roading ( unless its two wheels) so don't care about that. The Ridgeline is just a better overall value than a loaded up Tacoma in my opinion (unless your going boulder climbing)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
So, if my math is correct, the price for an RTL 2WD increased by $450. You are getting a lot for that with the Sensing and the headlights. You get paddle shifters as well, I think those will help for those in hilly areas. Am I correct about the headlights or is it just the Sensing and the 9 speed?

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
So, if my math is correct, the price for an RTL 2WD increased by $450. You are getting a lot for that with the Sensing and the headlights. You get paddle shifters as well, I think those will help for those in hilly areas.
Nice catch, @14v6! Although that probably means that Honda has to cut some corners elsewhere, i.e. door lighting, engine cowl covering, radio knob, etc. like they did on the G2, when moving from the G1. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
187 Posts
So, if my math is correct, the price for an RTL 2WD increased by $450. You are getting a lot for that with the Sensing and the headlights. You get paddle shifters as well, I think those will help for those in hilly areas. Am I correct about the headlights or is it just the Sensing and the 9 speed?
We don't know more than the 9spd yet.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
We don't know more than the 9spd yet.
Yeah, if they don't put Sensing in there (there are articles out there saying that it will be on all models by 2022) I'm starting to think that the 9 speed is the only difference for that small price increase and it would make sense to not upgrade the headlights or give sensing to give the E more feature separation. If this holds true I question Honda's commitment to the Ridgeline and IMO that would be a step towards the chopping block.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,397
Yeah, if they don't put Sensing in there (there are articles out there saying that it will be on all models by 2022) I'm starting to think that the 9 speed is the only difference for that small price increase and it would make sense to not upgrade the headlights or give sensing to give the E more feature separation. If this holds true I question Honda's commitment to the Ridgeline and IMO that would be a step towards the chopping block.
I agree I to am feeling like it’s real close to the chopping block as well. At the rate we’re going it will be 24 months for 2019 model year before we see the 2020. If it’s only the 9 speed in the refresh I waited all this time for nothing and probably will look at other PU’s, even though I’m tired of my Tacoma.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree I to am feeling like it’s real close to the chopping block as well. At the rate we’re going it will be 24 months for 2019 model year before we see the 2020. If it’s only the 9 speed in the refresh I waited all this time for nothing and probably will look at other PU’s, even though I’m tired of my Tacoma.
I understand the disappointment with the changes....or lack there of. I'm right there with you all. I don't understand the 24 months, though. Aren't they already arriving at dealerships? There are several posts with 2020 VINs, as well as several posts with dealers calling members to announce their arrival. I'm confused.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,400
"".............I don't understand the 24 months, though. Aren't they already arriving at dealerships? There are several posts with 2020 VINs, as well as several posts with dealers calling members to announce their arrival. I'm confused.
That is what some are saying, however there has been no general or official announce from Honda yet on when the 2020 will be released.

2381 - 2400 of 2592 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.