Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2481 - 2500 of 2592 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 2020 Ridgeline PDI instructions were released today in TSB's 19-119 and 19-120. Expect an official announcement in two weeks or less.

Four trim levels are confirmed: Sport (2WD/AWD), RTL (2WD/AWD), RTL-E, and Black Edition.

Based on the illustrations, there are no changes to the front grill, instrument cluster, or audio system.

All models include an AGM battery which confirms idle-stop and the ZF 9HP transmission. An illustration of the instrument cluster shows an idle-stop indicator and sequential mode indicator which likely means paddle shifters.

One of the steps reads, "check the safety and driver assistance indicators", but no trim levels are mentioned (unlike some other steps related to navigation, sunroof, satellite radio, etc.) which suggests that Honda Sensing will be standard on all trims.
Could you tell if the wheels were still 18s or going to 20s like the Passport?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I assume online forums aren’t always representative, but white does seem popular on the dealer lot and on here. Good to know there’s no official number Honda publishes.

I do wish Honda made the new flat grey cement color the Tacoma comes in. Less boring the silver, looks clean and slick, but easy to maintain. Have they added any colors since the G2 came out?
I also like that voodoo blue color on the Taco. I wish Honda would freshen things up a bit.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The radar cruise control is nice to have on long highway trips. I wish it worked at low speeds though.

The frontal crash mitigation system is downright dangerous. There have been several times a vehicle several car lengths in front of me is turning right onto a side street, they are making a right turn at say 25-30 mph, and I will be closing on them at 45 mph with plenty of room (not needing to decelerate because they'll be out of the way when I get to said street), and the system slams on the brakes, nearly causing me to be rearended by the car behind me.
I hope it ultimately works out well for you, but am glad I don’t have it. I do wish my RTL had a beeper when getting close to an object when backing up, though the camera helps.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Well, you know Honda's thing with colors -- yawn. And so far, the RL has had to share colors from other HMA models (Pilot & Odyssey). I doubt Honda will give the RL any colors to call its own (or even a color from a model not built at HMA). Too bad.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The 2020 Ridgeline PDI instructions were released today in TSB's 19-119 and 19-120. Expect an official announcement in two weeks or less.

Four trim levels are confirmed: Sport (2WD/AWD), RTL (2WD/AWD), RTL-E, and Black Edition.

Based on the illustrations, there are no changes to the front grill, instrument cluster, or audio system.

All models include an AGM battery which confirms idle-stop and the ZF 9HP transmission. An illustration of the instrument cluster shows an idle-stop indicator and sequential mode indicator which likely means paddle shifters.

One of the steps reads, "check the safety and driver assistance indicators", but no trim levels are mentioned (unlike some other steps related to navigation, sunroof, satellite radio, etc.) which suggests that Honda Sensing will be standard on all trims.
Glad I got the 2019 instead of paying more for mostly-dubious “improvements”.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I think three things are going one here.

Car sales are decreasing

Honda fell short on E production. The market has spoken and the E is what RL buyers want.

The remaining potential buyers are on the fence about the 2020's which looks like it will be a yawner. This 2020 saga has been going on for too long and it's winter and there are only Sports to be had now until the 2020's come out, might as well wait or go somewhere else.

I am curious if this surge in Sports is from recent production or there was simply no demand for them and they were at the warehouse.. I have seen few Sports and probably more Canadian sports over the years. Either way, they'll move with these discounts.

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
Since all 2020 trims include Honda sensing, I imagine a good number of people will save some money and opt for the RTL. Then they can install their head unit of choice. I might wait for a used 2020 RTL to upgrade my present 2017 RTL-T.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Since all 2020 trims include Honda sensing, I imagine a good number of people will save some money and opt for the RTL. Then they can install their head unit of choice. I might wait for a used 2020 RTL to upgrade my present 2017 RTL-T.
That is my hope right now as well. But I don't think anything confirmed the sensing yet?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
@Sparkland, do you have a source about the Sensing being standard. It was raised earlier that the only given is the 9 speed. I do think it would be a mistake to have a base radio on half of the trims. It would be a better idea to follow the trim layouts of the Passport.

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
@Sparkland, do you have a source about the Sensing being standard. It was raised earlier that the only given is the 9 speed. I do think it would be a mistake to have a base radio on half of the trims. It would be a better idea to follow the trim layouts of the Passport.
Only what Zroger mentioned earlier in this thread:

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Two questions nagging me:

1) why does the Ridgeline only get seven colors when the other Alabama vehicles get eight?

2) Do lower-trim Pilots still get the 6AT? If so, will all Pilots get the 9ZF once the Ridgeline gets all 9ZFs? I can't imagine Honda keeping the 6AT if they're not going to put it in the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
1) because red-haired stepchild.
2) why should we care what Honda puts in lower-trim Pilots? :)

But seriously, it looks like Honda is heading for all ZF9 in RL & Pilot, just like Passport. I sure hope that's the right decision because there is a LOT to lose if it's not. I'm wondering if they might be chasing CAFE targets with the 1 mpg gain from the ZF9 and idle-stop? It seems minimal but maybe it's significant.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
1) they probably clean one of the paint bays every time they do a batch of Ridgelines.
2) i suspect they will convert the 6AT production in their Georgia factory to all 10AT. Hopefully, that will bring the cost of the 10AT down to where we see it in the G3.

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
1) they probably clean one of the paint bays every time they do a batch of Ridgelines.
2) i suspect they will convert the 6AT production in their Georgia factory to all 10AT. Hopefully, that will bring the cost of the 10AT down to where we see it in the G3.
The upcoming 10AT will further muddy the waters for buyers contemplating the 2020 Ridgeline. They might just skip the 2020 with the 9-speed and wait for the 10AT.

·
Administrator
13,331 Posts
The upcoming 10AT will further muddy the waters for buyers contemplating the 2020 Ridgeline. They might just skip the 2020 with the 9-speed and wait for the 10AT.
We still haven't seen any AWD or "heavy towing" applications with the 10AT. In my opinion, it's not strong enough for "truck duty" which is we aren't seeing it in the Pilot, Passport, and Ridgeline. The 9HP handles more torque than the 6AT or 10AT.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
10AT probably won't be around till the GenIII if and when that ever happens. I don't think we are close enough to that time frame for the 10at to enter the purchase computation.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
We still haven't seen any AWD or "heavy-towing" applications with the 10AT. In my opinion, it's not strong enough for "truck duty" which is we aren't seeing it in the Pilot, Passport, and Ridgeline. The 9HP handles more torque than the 6AT or 9HP.
Do you really think that all of Honda's talk about the 10at's application for their "trucks" was nonsense? I don't and I don't think that Honda spent all that $ on developing a transmission that was only to see light duty use.
All the intel we saw was that It was plenty heavy duty for the "trucks."
Packaging issues in the current AWD Pilot, Passport and Ridgelines has been Honda's explanation.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
We still haven't seen any AWD or "heavy-towing" applications with the 10AT. In my opinion, it's not strong enough for "truck duty" which is we aren't seeing it in the Pilot, Passport, and Ridgeline. The 9HP handles more torque than the 6AT or 9HP.
Based on that Acura build of the SH SLX, the 10AT should handle at least 350hp/340ft-lbs as delivered by the 2.0T.

I was under the impression that we got a torque number for the 10AT, but that it was preliminary (could handle, or be built to handle, higher torque)?

·
Administrator
13,331 Posts
Do you really think that all of Honda's talk about the 10at's application for their "trucks" was nonsense? I don't and I don't think that Honda spent all that $ on developing a transmission that was only to see light duty use.
All the intel we saw was that It was plenty heavy duty for the "trucks."
Packaging issues in the current AWD Pilot, Passport and Ridgelines has been Honda's explanation.
The only source I can find for this is the following quote from Sofyan Bey with Redline Reviews:

"When I asked Honda why didn't they put the ten-speed [in the 2019 Passport], somebody told me that it didn't fit is basically what they said."

I wonder if "didn't fit" are Sofyan's words or Honda's words? If they are Honda's words, what exactly does "didn't fit" mean? Does it mean the transmission wouldn't physically fit or does it mean that it's "not a good fit for the application" due to something like...durability concerns due to insufficient torque capacity?

Initially, I interpreted this to mean that the transmission wouldn't physically fit, but now I'm wondering if another meaning may have been lost in relay or interpretation.

Based on that Acura build of the SH SLX, the 10AT should handle at least 350hp/340ft-lbs as delivered by the 2.0T.

I was under the impression that we got a torque number for the 10AT, but that it was preliminary (could handle, or be built to handle, higher torque)?
Do we know if that transmission was specially built using different alloys for gears or shafts, additional or upgraded clutch/friction discs, or special torque converter at extra cost or if was an "off the shelf" 10AT?

From a Car and Driver interview with Tom Sladek, development leader of the Odyssey:

"According to Sladek, the initial torque capacity is 275 lb-ft, with enough headroom built into the design to accommodate the expected spread from the new Odyssey throughout the Honda and Acura product lineups. While initial applications will be front-drive only, it’s safe to assume that a power takeoff can be added for all-wheel drive in the future."

·
Registered
374 Posts
1) because red-haired stepchild.
2) why should we care what Honda puts in lower-trim Pilots? :)

But seriously, it looks like Honda is heading for all ZF9 in RL & Pilot, just like Passport. I sure hope that's the right decision because there is a LOT to lose if it's not. I'm wondering if they might be chasing CAFE targets with the 1 mpg gain from the ZF9 and idle-stop? It seems minimal but maybe it's significant.
Passport is turning out to be a high priced dud.

2481 - 2500 of 2592 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.