Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1327 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Now that the Passport production is well under way, I’m hoping Honda is very close to producing a refreshed RL soon. Surely the MMC changes are already on the books. I’m still very interested in making one my next vehicle in the near future, but I’m hesitant to pull the trigger now and possibly miss out on possible changes like a new front end design, upgraded infotainment system, ventilated seats, etc.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Keep on waiting and waiting, if they ever do come out with something im more interested in i will buy otherwise hold your breath and pay more for that new one with little changes that might meet your needs. Or buy that used one you have been thinkin about and save some $$$$. No covered RL secret trucks driving around like years passed that we all looked at and waited for, so dont expect much of a change in the near future. They should build another truck but Japan is in big trouble.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Honda being Honda, the 2020 Ridgeline will most likely have most of the changes that the Passport got. Oh, I hope the RL gets a locking tailgate too.

·
Registered
556 Posts
i want the front end to look more truck like, i have no other complaints about my '17 ridgeline

·
Registered
143 Posts
i want the front end to look more truck like, i have no other complaints about my '17 ridgeline
It seems like the best way to approach that is via "optical illusion." Some of the photos I've seen on this forum of aftermarket wheel/tire choices definitely improves that more truck-like look, compared especially to that wheel design that is standard on the RTL-E.

·
Registered
556 Posts
yea im talking about the front on look, not the side view, i actually like the side view.. just that front grill screams mini van

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
yea im talking about the front on look, not the side view, i actually like the side view.. just that front grill screams mini van
You can be sure that the metal body panels have not changed, as they are shared with the Pilot/Passport.

The Passport has a subjectively more rugged appearance - let's hope the 2020 Ridgeline has gone at least that far...

At any rate, the refresh on the G2 is likely all done at this point, and would mostly incorporate 2019 Pilot refresh features.

As far as changing the metal bodywork for a more rugged appearance, that will have to wait for the G3, which Honda is likely working on now, or will start soon. If sharing with the Pilot continues, much of it could already be done.

It may be time for a thread on what we would like to see in the G3, which i think has already been touched on in a few threads...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just rip off the bumper, replace with an alloy one that is designed for increase approach angle. Front skid/bash plate, recovery points. Tada, more truck like front end. I'm sure some people would like winch mount points. Seriously simple to make front more truck like.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
I, for the most part, like the looks of the Ridgeline. If I could do anything it would be to black out the wheels & chrome and have an integrated trailer brake controller on my RTL

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I, for the most part, like the looks of the Ridgeline. If I could do anything it would be to black out the wheels & chrome and have an integrated trailer brake controller on my RTL
You can black it out, reversibly, with Plasti-Dip rattle-can paint.

If you don't want a bolt-on or screw-on brake controller, Tekonsha makes the Prodigy RF for wireless control. It is expensive, but controller goes with you to whatever tow vehicle you have. We use one at work on a trailer that gets towed by various trucks. Not a good solution if you pull multiple trailers, though.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
You can black it out, reversibly, with Plasti-Dip rattle-can paint.

If you don't want a bolt-on or screw-on brake controller, Tekonsha makes the Prodigy RF for wireless control. It is expensive, but the controller goes with you to whatever tow vehicle you have. We use one at work on a trailer that gets towed by various trucks. Not a good solution if you pull multiple trailers, though.
Not much interested in Plasti-Dip but I would like Black Edition wheels. And, this brake controller is even simpler than the one you posted. https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Curt/C51180.html

·
Super Moderator
2,790 Posts
Honda would be crazy not to include the tailgate lock for 2020. At the very least for RTL-E/BE, but it would make more sense to do it across the board. The lack of tailgate locking has been one of the things that dealerships have complained about to corporate. And these are not expensive parts if they help sell the vehicle. (They get cheaper if you just build them into the product as standard equipment because you're not remaking the handle.) Dealers might prefer to keep it as an accessory; some charge exorbitant prices to install accessories. I've heard of people paying upwards of $200 to have the Honda tonneau installed, which takes less than half an hour. $400 an hour, nice pay if you can conceal it from the customer.

So I guess that last point might introduce a note of doubt about whether the lock will come standard on some or all of 2020 RLs. If I were Honda, I would just include the locks on all models. It would generate a lot of goodwill. And while you can't take goodwill to the bank, you're fostering repeat buying -- something that has helped Honda over and over again, that loyal base of U.S. customers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I almost pulled the trigger on a 2019, but just couldn't do it because of the price vs. lack of a few specific features. I'm hoping the 2020 will have the following. If not, I'll just have to move on to another manufacturer.

1. The whole infotainment user interface is below par. Other manufacturers like Kia have it right. Any infotainment system should be intuitive, with a mixture of basic hard buttons/knobs and a LCD interface. The lack of a volume knob in particular is just annoying.

2. Lack of integrated rear tailgate lock. This is just a no brainer. I can't believe the RL lacks this.

3. Safety features like autonomous braking and blind spot detection should be standard across the line, not only available on the E/BE.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,081 Posts
Why is this needed? I use the steering wheel controls.
Clearly, enough buyers want a volume knob that Honda has brought it back. Right off the top of my head, I believe the Ridgeline is the last model that is hasn't returned to. You and I may be okay with the lack of a volume knob, but most everyone else must prefer one.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 2019, but just couldn't do it because of the price vs. lack of a few specific features. I'm hoping the 2020 will have the following. If not, I'll just have to move on to another manufacturer.

1. The whole infotainment user interface is below par. Other manufacturers like Kia have it right. Any infotainment system should be intuitive, with a mixture of basic hard buttons/knobs and a LCD interface. The lack of a volume knob in particular is just annoying.

2. Lack of integrated rear tailgate lock. This is just a no brainer. I can't believe the RL lacks this.

3. Safety features like autonomous braking and blind spot detection should be standard across the line, not only available on the E/BE.
I fully expect you'll get your wishes for items 1 and 3, but you may need to spend $90 and 45 minutes installing the Honda accessory tailgate lock.

However, the Ridgeline gets so many things right, I think it's a bit overreactive to discount the Ridgeline and give up all its virtues for items like 1 and 2. I do understand the desire for safety features, though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Clearly, enough buyers want a volume knob that Honda has brought it back. Right off the top of my head, I believe the Ridgeline is the last model that is hasn't returned to. You and I may be okay with the lack of a volume knob, but most everyone else must prefer one.

I fully expect you'll get your wishes for items 1 and 3, but you may need to spend $90 and 45 minutes installing the Honda accessory tailgate lock.

However, the Ridgeline gets so many things right, I think it's a bit overreactive to discount the Ridgeline and give up all its virtues for items like 1 and 2. I do understand the desire for safety features, though.
Yep, we all have our preferences, and probably overweight some of them in ways that make little sense to others. I think it's downright crazy that none of the other midsize trucks can carry 4x8 sheetgoods laid flat between the wheel wells (a "real" truck should do that!), and they don't have power sliding rear windows (which is a huge annoyance for an extended cab vehicle, since that is THE BEST window to have open while driving, in my view), and just those 2 things weigh heavily for me. RL even has a moonroof in higher trims as 2nd ventilation option and most of the others don't. I really wish the Ridgeline had ventilated seats and 360-degree surround view camera, but since all midsize trucks lack that, I'd have to change to one of several SUV's to get those. But then I lose the sheetgoods carry capacity (except the 2020 Explorer, which allegedly will tick all the boxes for me, but carrying tall items won't work). Decisions...decisions!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, so I have a question about the 2020 changes. I'm 6'-2" tall with long legs and size 13 shoes. I would have bought a Ridgeline in a second if not for the lack of driver leg room especially for the left foot. The stupid foot rest pushes the leg back and keeps it bent. It is impossible for me to stretch out my left leg on long trips as there is just not enough clear foot space. This seems to be a problem on many Honda vehicles. I wish they would do away with or adjust the left drivers foot rest; and or provide just a couple inches more driver leg room. Does anyone else have this issue?

41 - 60 of 1327 Posts
About this Discussion
1.3K Replies
184 Participants
longboat
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing