Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 2592 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Ok, so I have a question about the 2020 changes. I'm 6'-2" tall with long legs and size 13 shoes. I would have bought a Ridgeline in a second if not for the lack of driver leg room especially for the left foot. The stupid foot rest pushes the leg back and keeps it bent. It is impossible for me to stretch out my left leg on long trips as theqre is just not enough clear foot space. This seems to be a problem on many Honda vehicles. I wish they would do away with or adjust the left drivers foot rest; and or provide just a couple inches more driver leg room. Does anyone else have this issue?
It's just a styrofoam block under the carpet. You can remove it.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-ridgeline-2g-2017/199889-dead-pedalectomy.html?amp=1

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I almost pulled the trigger on a 2019, but just couldn't do it because of the price vs. lack of a few specific features. I'm hoping the 2020 will have the following. If not, I'll just have to move on to another manufacturer.

1. The whole infotainment user interface is below par. Other manufacturers like Kia have it right. Any infotainment system should be intuitive, with a mixture of basic hard buttons/knobs and a LCD interface. The lack of a volume knob in particular is just annoying.

2. Lack of integrated rear tailgate lock. This is just a no brainer. I can't believe the RL lacks this.

3. Safety features like autonomous braking and blind spot detection should be standard across the line, not only available on the E/BE.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Go pull that trigger on another truck, KIA doesnt make one. Make that price comparison I just did it on a ZR2, Taco and RL. I was ready for a change but after drivin them it was a no brainer. Volume is on the steering wheel been using it for 14 years. Tailgate lock go buy aftermarket some here dont need it, I dont. Safety features, do more homework or spend the extra $$ on that BE but to me its nothing but not being in control as you drive, I purchased an E for that purpose. Give us some of your options that your interested in besides the RL that we can compare. Nothings perfect and no one makes the perfect truck for anyone, you could just go build one yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go pull that trigger on another truck, KIA doesnt make one. Make that price comparison I just did it on a ZR2, Taco and RL. I was ready for a change but after drivin them it was a no brainer. Volume is on the steering wheel been using it for 14 years. Tailgate lock go buy aftermarket some here dont need it, I dont. Safety features, do more homework or spend the extra $$ on that BE but to me its nothing but not being in control as you drive, I purchased an E for that purpose. Give us some of your options that your interested in besides the RL that we can compare. Nothings perfect and no one makes the perfect truck for anyone, you could just go build one yourself.
Northernlights......Didn't mean to strike a cord.

Totally agree that the RL drives the best out of any small/mid size truck. Also has other advantages too.

Out of the list I gave, 1 and 3 are a big deal to me. I don't have to spend around $40k to them from other manufacturers either. Then, factor in the shallowness of the RL bed and mini van looks/front grill and it was enough for me to wait.

Hopefully 1 and 3 are included/changed on the lesser trims for 2020 and I will pull the trigger on a RL later this summer.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
in the future i would buy base model and take it to the local sound shop for sound dampening install for only a couple hundred $.

The value of my vehicle is still about the price of a base model, in fact i might trade for a base 2020 if they do it right.

·
Super Moderator
4,957 Posts
in the future i would buy base model and take it to the local sound shop for sound dampening install for only a couple hundred $.

The value of my vehicle is still about the price of a base model, in fact i might trade for a base 2020 if they do it right.
If Honda makes a few changes, such as placing the safety systems in all trims, there might be fewer RTL-E's sold than before.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
If Honda makes a few changes, such as placing the safety systems in all trims, there might be fewer RTL-E's sold than before.
The safety systems suck compared to other vehicles I've had. My collision mitigation system falsed three times yesterday. It always occurs on slight curves when other vehicles are approaching and it flashes the "brake" warning in the info center. I just had my windshield replaced and Honda calibrated the camera. It was falsing before I had the windshield replaced. The Adaptive Cruise control, even set at the closest distance, provides far too much distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, and begins slowing your vehicle down far too soon. My Ram and Durango ACC let me set the distance at just about half of what Honda offers. The parking sensors aren't too bad, but I wish there were a way to turn the front sensors off and leave the rears on as FCA allowed you to do. If the sensors have the slightest bit of water on them, they false and I have to turn them off. The FCA sensors would work as long as they weren't covered with snow and ice. And when they were I could turn the front sensors off and still use the rear sensors. Honda has a long way to go with the nanny systems.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've noticed a lot of Honda TV commercials the past few days, advertising their Presidents Day discounts on a few models (but not the RL), and I don't even watch TV that much.

What I read into that is, if the 2020 RL was just a couple months out, Honda would be trying to help dealers liquidate their 2019 inventory by offering a factory incentive or other discounts on remaining 2019's. Since they aren't doing that, even if 2019 RL production is ended, they apparently want the remaining inventory to last a while. So the 2020 appears to be no sooner than say June-July.

I've been monitoring the inventory of RTL-Es and overall RL inventory count at several nearby dealers. They've had no new RLs come in for over a month, and the same VINs of RTL-E's are still in stock, minus a small number sold. At this pace they could easily last until June-July with the remaining 2019s.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
In my opinion, Honda will continue to make the Ridgeline until another model will prove more profitable from the manufacturing space the Ridgeline now occupies. There have been many beloved Honda models such as the CRX-Si, Element EX AWD, S2000 that are orphaned.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Just another note on the tailgate lock...Honda offers an OEM tailgate lock now that can be key matched to the door key...I too was concerned about this since all of my other trucks had a tailgate lock, so I installed one! Would not be surprised if this is offered on the next year model. But as you said, nothings perfect, but the Ridge is good enough for me (compared to the Chevys and Tundra that I had before).

·
Super Moderator
4,957 Posts
The safety systems suck compared to other vehicles I've had. My collision mitigation system falsed three times yesterday. It always occurs on slight curves when other vehicles are approaching and it flashes the "brake" warning in the info center. I just had my windshield replaced and Honda calibrated the camera. It was falsing before I had the windshield replaced. The Adaptive Cruise control, even set at the closest distance, provides far too much distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, and begins slowing your vehicle down far too soon. My Ram and Durango ACC let me set the distance at just about half of what Honda offers. The parking sensors aren't too bad, but I wish there were a way to turn the front sensors off and leave the rears on as FCA allowed you to do. If the sensors have the slightest bit of water on them, they false and I have to turn them off. The FCA sensors would work as long as they weren't covered with snow and ice. And when they were I could turn the front sensors off and still use the rear sensors. Honda has a long way to go with the nanny systems.
Fair enough, but my entire point was the majority of consumers (not every buyer of course) upgrade to the RTL-E because of the availability of the Honda sense system. Not because of the in bed sound system or the sunroof.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Go buy something else........get back to us on what you bought.

·
Administrator
13,701 Posts
Both my 2017 and 2019 Ridgelines issue unnecessary "BRAKE" warnings more frequently than my 2016 CR-V, 2018 Accord, or 2019 RDX did. My 2019 had a particularly bad week with this last week and it seemed to happen more frequently when using LKAS which makes slight "corrections" towards oncoming traffic more often than I do.

I personally don't have a problem with Honda's following distances, but I prefer to maintain plenty of space behind traffic to minimize the potential for rock damage and to have time to react if the road debris suddenly appears in front of me. The two shortest distance settings (1.1 and 1.5 seconds) are already too short for the "two second rule". The two longest distance settings (2.1 and 2.8 seconds) are the ones I used more often. The shortest setting only allows 100 feet of space at 65 MPH - the Ridgeline is not physically capable of stopping within that distance even with instantaneous reaction time.

One of my 2017's front parking sensors went crazy in the rain. My 2019 doesn't have this issue.

In my opinion, Honda will continue to make the Ridgeline until another model will prove more profitable from the manufacturing space the Ridgeline now occupies. There have been many beloved Honda models such as the CRX-Si, Element EX AWD, S2000 that are orphaned.
HMA was already running over capacity in 2018 (not quite sure how that's possible, but that's a different subject - isn't that like 110% throttle opening?) building Pilots, Odysseys, and Ridgelines. Now, they've added an estimated 50,000 to 70,000 Passports each year. I don't see the Passport freeing up enough Pilot and Odyssey sales to equal Ridgeline production. Perhaps the recent expansion to the parts warehouse and the future expansion of the welding area are the answer.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Fair enough, but my entire point was the majority of consumers (not every buyer of course) upgrade to the RTL-E because of the availability of the Honda sense system. Not because of the in bed sound system or the sunroof.
I agree with this. I’m one of those buyers. I wanted parts of the sense systems but not the sunroof or the bed speakers but I paid for somethings I didn’t want to get the things I wanted.

·
Registered
80 Posts
HMA was already running over capacity in 2018 (not quite sure how that's possible, but that's a different subject - isn't that like 110% throttle opening?) building Pilots, Odysseys, and Ridgelines. Now, they've added an estimated 50,000 to 70,000 Passports each year. I don't see the Passport freeing up enough Pilot and Odyssey sales to equal Ridgeline production. Perhaps the recent expansion to the parts warehouse and the future expansion of the welding area are the answer.
This. I'm yet to see anything official from Honda and suspect as others do that Honda will not update the RL in any meaningful way. They are going to push the daylights out of the Passport (they already are based on my experience at the dealer yesterday when I had my recall addressed). I hope I'm wrong but suspect this will be like my beloved S2K and NSX and just languish.

·
Administrator
13,701 Posts
Yesterday, Honda announced that they are closing the plant in Swindon, UK that currently produces about 150,000 Civic hatchbacks each year and employees 3,500 people. For comparison, Honda Manufacturing of Alabama employees 4,500 people and produces about 340,000 vehicles each year. The plant will continue building the 10th generation Civic hatchback into 2021 at which point they're going to have to either discontinue the model or find somewhere else to build it. The hatchback accounts for about 25% of US Civic sales. Honda recently approved the next Civic Type R, which is expected to remain a hatchback.

Also, Honda Manufacturing of Alabama is getting a new president. senior VP, and VP. The new president has been with Honda since 1982.

Things are churning. Hopefully, the upgrades and executive changes at HMA will result in sufficient production capability to keep the Ridgeline while improving quality consistency. A couple of months ago, Honda signed a two-year deal with Proctor Racing Group to keep the Ridgeline racing off road. I wouldn't expect this deal to have been made if Honda had plans to discontinue the Ridgeline before the end of the second generation.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I think Honda would be foolish to discontinue their only pickup truck. Trucks are hot right now, and will continue to be until gas hits $4-$5/gallon, which is probably a long ways out.

Yes, Ridgeline isn't selling in huge numbers, but we are making a big assumption in thinking that Honda wants to sell large numbers of them. They need factory capacity to do that, which they don't have, unless they re-tool some of their car factories.

To sell large numbers of Ridgelines, Honda would have to:
1) give the Ridgeline its own identity
2) advertise it
3) have the plant capacity to back it up

If people can't get a truck from Honda, they might just get a truck from another brand, then decide it isn't so bad and pick up an SUV from that other brand also. It tends to erode away at brand loyalty. Honda knows this, or used to know it, hence the existence of the Ridgeline in the first place.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Disturbing employment and production issues across the pond for sure. Significant impacts for Honda, their employees, suppliers, and the local economy. The world economy is changing.

Let's not forget that Honda Manufacturing of Indiana is cranking out over a quarter of million vehicles in Greensburg, IN a year. HMIN production mix consists of producing the Insight, Civic, and CR-V on the same production line. Would assume production from across the pond would see some of the capacity shift to HMIN. I want to say there is about 3K employees at this facility.

Yesterday, Honda announced that they are closing the plant in Swindon, UK that currently produces about 150,000 Civic hatchbacks each year and employees 3,500 people. For comparison, Honda Manufacturing of Alabama employees 4,500 people and produces about 340,000 vehicles each year. The plant will continue building the 10th generation Civic hatchback into 2021 at which point they're going to have to either discontinue the model or find somewhere else to build it. The hatchback accounts for about 25% of US Civic sales. Honda recently approved the next Civic Type R, which is expected to remain a hatchback.

Also, Honda Manufacturing of Alabama is getting a new president. senior VP, and VP. The new president has been with Honda since 1982.

Things are churning. Hopefully, the upgrades and executive changes at HMA will result in sufficient production capability to keep the Ridgeline while improving quality consistency. A couple of months ago, Honda signed a two-year deal with Proctor Racing Group to keep the Ridgeline racing off road. I wouldn't expect this deal to have been made if Honda had plans to discontinue the Ridgeline before the end of the second generation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've noticed a lot of Honda TV commercials the past few days, advertising their Presidents Day discounts on a few models (but not the RL), and I don't even watch TV that much.

What I read into that is, if the 2020 RL was just a couple months out, Honda would be trying to help dealers liquidate their 2019 inventory by offering a factory incentive or other discounts on remaining 2019's. Since they aren't doing that, even if 2019 RL production is ended, they apparently want the remaining inventory to last a while. So the 2020 appears to be no sooner than say June-July.

I've been monitoring the inventory of RTL-Es and overall RL inventory count at several nearby dealers. They've had no new RLs come in for over a month, and the same VINs of RTL-E's are still in stock, minus a small number sold. At this pace they could easily last until June-July with the remaining 2019s.
I'm also holding out to see if and when they announce the 2020's. To your above point, do you know if Honda offered incentives on the '18 RL when the 19's were forthcoming? I don't think Honda has ever offered incentives on the RL but I could be wrong.

·
Administrator
13,701 Posts
I'm also holding out to see if and when they announce the 2020's. To your above point, do you know if Honda offered incentives on the '18 RL when the 19's were forthcoming? I don't think Honda has ever offered incentives on the RL but I could be wrong.
Rebates were $4,500 back in 2008 on the first generation Ridgeline. Seems like there was a $3,000 rebate on my 2010 and they may have been at high at $5,000-$5,500 at one time.

The second generation Ridgeline currently has a $750 loyalty rebate for current Honda owners until at least 2/28.

Historically, Honda has offered very few incentives other than lower-interest finance offers on "last year's models".

61 - 80 of 2592 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.