Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 2592 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rebates were $4,500 back in 2008 on the first generation Ridgeline. Seems like there was a $3,000 rebate on my 2010 and they may have been at high at $5,000-$5,500 at one time.

The second generation Ridgeline currently has a $750 loyalty rebate for current Honda owners until at least 2/28.

Historically, Honda has offered very few incentives other than lower-interest finance offers on "last year's models".
In Canada I just (Jan 2018) got a $5000 rebate off a left over 2018 plus the dealer discount. It was very late in the year for a 2018 though. It worked out well for me though as I was getting rid of my 2018 F150 because of all the issues with it so helped ease that pain a bit.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It depends on how sales are and what's left for current year vehicles. 2018 year end Honda was offering a .99% on new RL, but in past years they have offered a $ 3k discount.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I'm also holding out to see if and when they announce the 2020's...
It wouldn't make sense to announce a release of the 2020 RL while there are so many 2019s in stock at the dealers. Especially if 2020 is a refreshed model, prices for the 2019s would take a hit. So I'm not expecting to hear anything soon from Honda about a 2020 RL...but they could surprise me. With the new Ranger rolling out and a refreshed Tacoma on the way, Honda may want to push out an updated RL sooner than later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just chatted with a salesman in Omaha, NE and he said he expects Honda to release news on the 2020 RL in May/June and for them to be on dealer lots in August/September.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It wouldn't make sense to announce a release of the 2020 RL while there are so many 2019s in stock at the dealers. Especially if 2020 is a refreshed model, prices for the 2019s would take a hit. So I'm not expecting to hear anything soon from Honda about a 2020 RL...but they could surprise me. With the new Ranger rolling out and a refreshed Tacoma on the way, Honda may want to push out an updated RL sooner than later.
Respectfully, I don't think your logic is sound here. Honda routinely announces mid cycle refreshes (which is what everyone is hoping Honda does for the RL) all the time and inventory on dealer lots has little to nothing to do with it. They just did this, for example, with the Pilot. Moreover, even if your premise were solid, with some exceptions (e.g. when the manufacturer actually puts "cash in the trunk") the retail price of vehicles sold on the lot do not impact the manufacturer. That impacts the franchised dealer, but not the manufacturer.

As stated above, I hope I'm wrong. I hope Honda does a substantial mid cycle refresh and then updates the RL again with a whole new generation in a few years. I'm very happy with my truck and will have no buyers remorse. But Honda's behavior with the RL feels very familiar to me as a previous S2000 and NSX owner... I fear they will let it languish and focus on high margin sellers (like the new Passport).

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
...But Honda's behavior with the RL feels very familiar to me as a previous S2000 and NSX owner... I fear they will let it languish and focus on high margin sellers (like the new Passport).
I think the difference here is that the Ridgeline shares a lot of common parts with the Pilot and Passport. It doesn't cost them too much to make, and there is some demand for the pickup.

The NSX and S2000, OTOH, shared very few parts with other vehicles, so were therefore expensive to keep producing. They were/are halo cars. They seem to be more like engineering exercises, possibly even a reward for Hondas engineers if they make good vehicles and turn a healthy profit elsewhere in the company. Just my opinion, of course.

·
Administrator
13,718 Posts
When would production facilities for the 2020 Ridgeline become available?
They've never become "unavailable". HMA will build as many of whatever model Honda tells them to. It's possible, but unlikely that 2020 Ridgeline has already begun. 2019 production began last February and they went on sale in March, but HMA didn't have Passports to build a year ago.

·
Administrator
13,718 Posts
Can Honda run production lines of the Passports and Ridgeline concurrently?
Lines 1 and 2 at HMA are very flexible. In the past, they've ran various combinations of the Odyssey, Pilot, Ridgeline, and MDX (when it used to be built there) as needed. The vehicles don't even have to be similar to run concurrently on a single line. For example, in 2010 they were building 2010 Ridgelines and 2011 Odysseys - two very different vehicles (the 2010 Ridgeline dated back to 2005 while the 2011 Odyssey was all-new) - on the same line.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Can Honda run production lines of the Passports and Ridgeline concurrently?
I toured the plant late in 2017. Here is my trip report that will tell you a bit more about the plant. They were running Ridgelines and Odysseys at the same time... See attached post.

Tours are available (as of today), so there doesn't seem to be any major secret retooling or production going on like a couple of years ago.:nerd:

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/10-miscellaneous-general-honda-ridgeline-discussions/189609-road-trip-honda-plant-2.html#post2727521

Enjoy!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think the difference here is that the Ridgeline shares a lot of common parts with the Pilot and Passport. It doesn't cost them too much to make, and there is some demand for the pickup.

The NSX and S2000, OTOH, shared very few parts with other vehicles, so were therefore expensive to keep producing. They were/are halo cars. They seem to be more like engineering exercises, possibly even a reward for Hondas engineers if they make good vehicles and turn a healthy profit elsewhere in the company. Just my opinion, of course.
FWIW, I agree with much of what you're saying. Both the original (and current NSX) were halo cars and to a lesser extent, so was the S2K. Neither car was finally killed off due to sales, per se, but due to an inability to meet federal regulations. One thing to note is that the NSX sold very well in the first year or two and then sales dwindled to nearly nothing (one could argue due to a lack of updates). The S2K was only supposed to be a one or two year car (anyone else remember the stupid mark ups some dealers got in 2000?) and it did receive one fairly substantial update when it switched from the AP1 to AP2 drivetrain but sales eventually dwindled. Again, some argue due to competition and a lack of updates.

There is some demand for the RL (hell, I happily bought mine in May) but they aren't exactly flying off the lot (at least here in S. CA).

I question if Honda was ok letting two very important vehicles for them go for years and years without updates, how focused will they be on the Ridgeline? They don't really advertise the Ridgeline (IMO) and if they can shift production to Pilots and Passports and God knows every American worth his salt apparently desperately needs an SUV now, maybe they don't update this vehicle either. I hope I'm wrong but this feels familiar to me.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Why pay full price when nearly every other truck sold in America gets huge incentives and discounts? You can easily get a 50k+ dollar full-size with lots of options for close to 40k. Whether you think it’s the true or not, most buy trucks for manly reasons.

The soft look, wimpy tires and wheels with mini van offsets, Lack of rear door access, no lock for the tail gate, no good lease incentives, horrible packaging for the trims, all contribute to poor sales, combined with little to no movement on deals.

This truck needs 3 trims. It needs a midnight package for all trims. It needs LED headlights on all trims. It needs a better stereo system.

There is no reason for a BE. Base, Sport and Limited. RT, RTS, RTL. Get the price down 4-5k per trim and sales go up. Give a few stand alone options.

I can believe they sit on lots in Texas. That’s BIG TRUCK country.

I don’t think the Japanese get it when it comes to trucks. People don’t buy trucks on fuel economy. They are image vehicles. Most that buy full size don’t haul a thing......ever. Trucks are cool. Make it cool it sells, make it boring and it sits on lots for 2 months.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Why pay full price when nearly every other truck sold in America gets huge incentives and discounts? You can easily get a 50k+ dollar full-size with lots of options for close to 40k. Whether you think it’s the true or not, most buy trucks for manly reasons.

The soft look, wimpy tires and wheels with mini van offsets, Lack of rear door access, no lock for the tail gate, no good lease incentives, horrible packaging for the trims, all contribute to poor sales, combined with little to no movement on deals.

This truck needs 3 trims. It needs a midnight package for all trims. It needs LED headlights on all trims. It needs a better stereo system.

There is no reason for a BE. Base, Sport and Limited. RT, RTS, RTL. Get the price down 4-5k per trim and sales go up. Give a few stand alone options.

I can believe they sit on lots in Texas. That’s BIG TRUCK country.

I don’t think the Japanese get it when it comes to trucks. People don’t buy trucks on fuel economy. They are image vehicles. Most that buy full size don’t haul a thing......ever. Trucks are cool. Make it cool it sells, make it boring and it sits on lots for 2 months.
It appears you do not know Honda's intended audience for the RL. It is NOT for "big truck" people who would otherwise buy an F-150/Silverado/Sierra/Tundra, Etc. It's not really even for those who would buy a Tacoma/Colorado/Ranget, either. It's a niche vehicle and for those customers the Ridgeline is perfect. Honda stated a sales goal of 40k units a year. I'd say they're doing OK based on that. I want a really nice, high-feature, decent MPG, quiet, comfortable, daily driver that can handle a little bit of dirty stuff, some cargo in the bed and occasionally tow a trailer. The RL is perfect for that. Honestly, to get the same features (and admittedly, more) in say an F-150 would require a 54k Lariat model. Discount it 10k and it's still more than the RL, and far more "truck" than I'd ever need. The RL would still be my choice, all things considered.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yep, there are 2 people per day per state that come to the same conclusion.
And your point is what? 36,000/year by your numbers, right on track. Honda didn't set out to sell 400,000 Ridgelines a year like other popular trucks. They wouldn't be able to compete. The nice is served and Honda probably attracted many new buyers to the brand while giving lots of loyalists an alternative to other trucks that force compromises on price, features, size, fuel economy. I'm square in the demographic for the RL and I see it as a perfect solution for my needs. The RL is for the practical side of people's lives, not the brash, in your face, off road, tough IMAGE (your words) mentality.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Agree it's all about image right now -- there's no question that big tough-looking trucks are driving the US market these days. Ads for the new Silverado feature admiring guys who say "It's beefy and mean-looking." Ford and Ram are relentlessly pushing the tough truck stereotype as well. Honda has a different buyer in mind for the RL. I just hope they can keep their version viable.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Agree it's all about image right now -- .
Yet the number of us who don't give F about that, grows. Intelligent people focus on function, not form. I'm concerned with form as it pertains to women I date, but that's about it. I'll never understand the "OFF ROAD!" and "LOOK AT ME" bs when they park the thing at the mall or drive through a starbucks. Those things never have a speck of dirt either. It's like buying a Ferrari and use it to commute to your job in bumper to bumper traffic.

We keep seeing these posts. "It should be just like everything else out there!" Umm, no. If it did, I'd have no interest.

81 - 100 of 2592 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.