Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1361 - 1380 of 1620 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,718 Posts
It's the CR-V Hybrid.

Not really what we wanted to hear on the Ridgeline forum.

Will it escalate the price of a CRV to the price of a Pilot? Toyota has really narrowed the difference in pricing between the normal vehicle and its hybrid equivalent. I am not sure Honda will be able to do the same.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not really what we wanted to hear on the Ridgeline forum.

Will it escalate the price of a CRV to the price of a Pilot? Toyota has really narrowed the difference in pricing between the normal vehicle and its hybrid equivalent. I am not sure Honda will be able to do the same.
Well the good news for us is that there are less 2020's for Honda to release :p. Really confusing that that 20 Ridgeline seems to have been in the dealer ordering system much longer than the 20 CR-V and still not released.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
You may be forgetting the similarities between the current Pilot and the current Ridgeline. Whenever the Pilot gets updated, the G2 should receive roughly the same updates a year later (or less). Honda would be quite foolish to not keep the two vehicles alike, especially with regard to parts supplier efficiencies.

For us consumers, it is a blessing and a curse. The blessing is that the Ridgeline will be updated much more often than the G1. The curse is that it will look more like a Pilot than many of us would prefer.
Function over form, for me.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You can tell they are trying to make the front end of the CRV more masculine like the RAV4. IMO the RAV4 hybrid is the one to get partly because it's better than the regular RAV4. It's priced right and available at many trim levels. The CRV hybrid will probably be more expensive than a lower trim RAV Hybrid.

Little bit too much hype on this, we all knew the CRV hybrid was coming. Probably for the RL it will come off the assembly line and be updated on the Honda website without much fanfare. If they stretch these model years enough (remember they had a really short 2018) maybe the RL will align with the PIlot in terms of updates and releases?

·
Super Moderator
12,330 Posts
Curious about the tow specs, if any, on the hybrid....
1.5T Accord = towing not allowed
2.0T Accord = 1,000 lbs.
Hybrid Accord = towing not allowed

1.5T CR-V = 1,500 lbs.
Hybrid CR-V = ?

I'd guess towing isn't allowed since the CR-V Hybrid has the same powertrain as the Accord Hybrid.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Speaking of towing, I can’t help but think the reason the 9-speed might be planned for all Ridgelines is a possible bump in tow ratings.

Certainly there is no cost savings in going to the 9 speed. And from what people report on this forum the 6 speed is pretty well regarded and durable. Maybe there is some functional improvement in statistics to be had.

One of the surveys Honda sent about a year ago was heavy into towing questions. There was some gimmickry involved with towing assistance aids, but I think I recall questions about capacity too.

I feel the towing rating on the Ridgeline is pretty conservative at its current rating. Adding a couple of ratios could help on the J2807 testing and the ability to manually shift to hold downhill speed Could come to play as well.

Honda need not do much to maintain current sales levels. So really minimal improvements are all I expect.

But maybe...

Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
One of the things I love about the RL is that it's not designed to tow. I don't even own a trailer. As long as my 509lb motorcycle fits in the back (it will). I'm a happy guy. Home depot runs, hauling junk to the dump, tailgating, taking my bike to the greenway, hauling inner tubes to the river, etc.....that's what I need. Otherwise, I need a comfortable, relatively fuel efficient, easy to get in and out of (I'm 6'5"), reliable commuter vehicle to pile 20,000+ miles a year on that's cheap to maintain.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
While we are waiting for further news....

Even with it's relative small sales numbers, I think RL is still profitable for Honda, especially with the number of shared or similar parts with Pilot etc.. RL was included in a presentation of an economic impact study in Alabama.

Also, at a Honda-sponsored Grand Prix this past spring, they assembled a Passport on a stage during the weekend run of the event. This link takes you to several time-lapse videos that are interesting to watch. Especially given the shared components with RL. For example in Chapter 7, where they install the doors, it appears to me they are using the same short rear door checkers as in RL. That would be interesting to confirm.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
One of the things I love about the RL is that it's not designed to tow. I don't even own a trailer. As long as my 509lb motorcycle fits in the back (it will). I'm a happy guy. Home depot runs, hauling junk to the dump, tailgating, taking my bike to the greenway, hauling inner tubes to the river, etc.....that's what I need. Otherwise, I need a comfortable, relatively fuel efficient, easy to get in and out of (I'm 6'5"), reliable commuter vehicle to pile 20,000+ miles a year on that's cheap to maintain.
I don't know what you base this upon, but the AWD version is rated for 5,000 pounds, while the FWD version is rated for (I believe) 3,600 pounds. MY Ridgeline tows like a champ and included the hitch receiver and trailer wiring already installed. The towing rating and design / capability is the primary reason I chose the Ridgeline over other luxury vehicles.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
FWIW, Car and Driver that I received today lists the Ridgeline as unchanged for the 2020 model year.
Can't print information that isn't released yet, I guess. C&D is usually pretty good at knowing these things. Not an inside expert by any means, but I highly doubt we're going to see much in the way of changes for 20. Likely just the axing of the RT and RTL-T leaving only the Sport, RTL, RTL-E and BE. This is a shame because the RTL-T would be the model I'd target if I were in the market.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well said (though it is actually designed to tow - just now 12k lbs like a RAM). With your bike in the bed - I dont think you can close the tailgate - correct. That is one thing that is always puzzling... big truck bed empty with bikes on a hitch mounted bike rack. Im sure there is some reason - but would be nice to have security and some protection) of biked in bed vs on hitch rack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The wait is over for me, I test drove a Ridgeline (for the 3rd time!) and a Passport. Decided to go for a Passport EX-L Lunar silver with optional towing package. Still like the Ridgeline, but the Passport is a better fit for most of my needs. No objections so far to the 9 speed, ACC, LKAS, and engine stop. 24mpg indicated and CarPlay works very well for navigation.

1361 - 1380 of 1620 Posts