Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1421 - 1440 of 1604 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
...Yesterday, I happened to drive by one of the local Honda Dealerships storage lots and I saw about 30 Ridgeline (most of them white) sitting there...
Could be a logistics node where they drop a load of single product to parse out with other models to branch routes. My guess.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Could be a logistics node where they drop a load of single product to parse out with other models to branch routes. My guess.
They all had a paper license plate with the downtown dealer’s name on it.

Interesting enough, as a side note, while looking at this dealers inventory of the Ridgeline I happened to see the very truck I was trying to buy last May. (They were @ 40K & I wasn’t). I got a little chuckle when I saw it’s still in stock. The salesman told me they couldn’t deal on it because “They are flying out the door”. I struck a deal with a competitive dealer the first week of June. Saved nearly 3 Grand.

·
Super Moderator
4,717 Posts
Is there any chance Honda could stall the introduction of the new Ridgeline to the beginning of 2020 and actually call it a 2021 model? I know @zroger73, touched on the subject of model year introduction times, but I cannot find it. I found this from Car and Driver:

"Under Environmental Protection Agency rules, manufacturers can introduce a next-model-year vehicle for public sale as early as January 2 of the preceding calendar year—for example, a 2018-model-year vehicle can be sold starting on January 2, 2017."

That would mean the Ridgeline could be introduced on January 2, 2020 and be called a 2021 model.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is there any chance Honda could stall the introduction of the new Ridgeline to the beginning of 2020 and actually call it a 2021 model? I know @zroger73, touched on the subject of model year introduction times, but I cannot find it. I found this from Car and Driver:

"Under Environmental Protection Agency rules, manufacturers can introduce a next-model-year vehicle for public sale as early as January 2 of the preceding calendar year—for example, a 2018-model-year vehicle can be sold starting on January 2, 2017."

That would mean the Ridgeline could be introduced on January 2, 2020 and be called a 2021 model.
I'd imagine if Honda was going to wait until the 2021 model year for a refresh, they'd probably have already started producing unchanged models and called them 2020's. I find it odd that they would actually skip a production year, albeit in this case, nowhere near a full-year after such a long delay between beginning producing 2019 models.

I hope we hear some news soon. I'm getting closer and closer to replacing my perfectly good, but woefully inadequate for certain jobs, 2017 Accord and I'm still on the fence between RL and Passport.

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
It's not unusual for Honda to skip model years for powersports products, but I don't recall this ever happening with Honda automobiles. For example, there was no 2014 Honda PCX or 2016 Honda Grom - they made enough of each prior year model to last for two years. Automobile production is more continuous than powersports production, which tends to happen in large batches - sometimes, they overestimate market demand.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
It's not unusual for Honda to skip model years for powersports products. For example, there was no 2014 Honda PCX or 2016 Honda Grom - they made enough of each prior year model to last for two years. However, I don't recall this ever happening with Honda automobiles.
2020 could be shaping up to be a short model year. Is there a pattern here?

2017 - long run
2018 - short run
2019 - long run
2020 - short run?
2021 - long run?
2022 - MMR

Here is a crazy thought. What if Honda were to align the Ridgeline refresh with the MDX refresh? I had this theory that maybe Honda intended the G2 and current MDX to debut together in 2015, but had more testing to do on the G2 truck. Had this been realized, the Ridgeline would not have missed a model year, it would have served as a test bed for new product ahead of the popular Pilot (as Joe once alluded to) and it really wouldn't have taken away from the MDX debut because it's a different brand and a low-volume seller.

Would.love to see a 2020 G3 with the 2020 MDX goodies, especially the active suspension!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Remind me again how this type of rule protects the environment?

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
These IIHS headlight ratings for the Pilot and Passport are all over the place for something I thought would be similar performing. I have my doubts if the 2020 RL headlights will be better than those on the current E since all the Passports are rated poor.
Honda issued a press release today stating that the 2019 Passport earned the IIHS Top Safety Pick rating. This would not be possible with headlights that were rated "poor".

According to the IIHS, both headlight designs used on the Passport were rated "poor" for Passports made before July 2019. The same headlights designs were rated "acceptable" for Passports built since July 2019.

I expect the 2020 Ridgeline to receive the same headlights as the Passport which could improve the headlight ratings of the lower trims while lowering the ratings of the upper trims.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Remind me again how this type of rule protects the environment?
Sure! When automakers release a vehicle labelled as a certain year model, they must comply with the emissions and fuel economy standards for that year. So, for example, if Honda were to release a 2021 Ridgeline on January 2, 2020, they would have to comply with 2021 standards. Since standards generally become stricter with time, this means that the vehicles would likely have to be cleaner and more fuel efficient than if they were released as 2020 models. Of course, this does not work in reverse, i.e., they can't release a 1948 model year vehicle, and dodge the standards entirely.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Just wanted to chime in on the towing capacity thing. There is certainly a formula that engineers use to calculate the capacity taking into account the vehicle weight, suspension components, load characteristics, frame strength, etc. However, the one thing that artificially limits the G1 and G2 towing "limit" is the Class 3 trailer hitch. It has been discussed numerous times that the rating on the hitch itself is 5000lbs, so that's why Honda is conservative with its tow ratings on both the current AWD Pilot and RL. If Honda were to upgrade the hitch to a Class 4 with load distribution characteristics, I'm sure that number would increase to 6500 or more.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Honda issued a press release today stating that the 2019 Passport earned the IIHS Top Safety Pick rating. This would not be possible with headlights that were rated "poor".

According to the IIHS, both headlight designs used on the Passport were rated "poor" for Passports made before July 2019. The same headlights designs were rated "acceptable" for Passports built since July 2019.

I expect the 2020 Ridgeline to receive the same headlights as the Passport which could improve the headlight ratings of the lower trims while lowering the ratings of the upper trims.
Thanks, interesting, I read the IIHS a few days ago and did not see this, I suspect Honda only announced this after the IIHS updated their website. I checked Bernardi and there is only one part number for the headlight. So, other than headlight aiming or a change in test criteria I don't understand how the rating improved. Any ideas?

If my daughter will require a car next semester for her college coop the wife will have either a Highlander or a Passport and unfortunately I'll have to trade in my Accord or the RL or both. HIghlanders even with the deals on outgoing lame duck 2019's are still more expensive than a Passport Sport so a lot is up in the air right now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just wanted to chime in on the towing capacity thing. There is certainly a formula that engineers use to calculate the capacity taking into account the vehicle weight, suspension components, load characteristics, frame strength, etc. However, the one thing that artificially limits the G1 and G2 towing "limit" is the Class 3 trailer hitch. It has been discussed numerous times that the rating on the hitch itself is 5000lbs, so that's why Honda is conservative with its tow ratings on both the current AWD Pilot and RL. If Honda were to upgrade the hitch to a Class 4 with load distribution characteristics, I'm sure that number would increase to 6500 or more.
Class 3 hitches can go to 8000 lbs and 800 lb tongue weight. Honda could have designed the hitch for less than that. Not sure of they can call it a class 3 if so or if there are any rules governing it.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
A few weeks ago when I was shopping for my '19, the dealership sales rep and sales manager said there would be no major changes in the '20 model Ridgeline. Yes, their lips were moving, so that message is suspect.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A few weeks ago when I was shopping for my '19, the dealership sales rep and sales manager said there would be no major changes in the '20 model Ridgeline. Yes, their lips were moving, so that message is suspect.
That's what they have to say, otherwise they would be talking themselves out of a sale today for the remote possibility that you will come back to them and buy the new version.

Same thing with the dealer saying not until February, picking a date hopefully out of your buy window.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought the dealer order sheets came out in July, so usually about 3 months later they should start hitting dealerships. So my guess is October for the refreshed 9 speed Ridgelines.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Repeating myself here. We pretty much know that all the 20's will have the 9 speed. That's a pretty major change.

1421 - 1440 of 1604 Posts