Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1581 - 1598 of 1598 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
From my memory back in the day they could not make granular requests (color, equipment combo), but dealers get reports that show percentage of vehicles built in every configuration, which lets them know likelihood of what they will see.
Asked a couple weeks ago whether the dealer could get us a blue RTL, and they responded that "there's one being manufactured in mid October that will be coming to us", which might anecdotally align with what you learned about the model/color distribution.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has custom ordered an RL and what their experience was in this process. I am waiting for the 2020 as mentioned in my early posts and I what a specific color combination and possibly a Honda website listed option.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
In the interest of full disclosure, the CR-V order screen didn't initially show the hybrid model because it is set to launch months after the gasoline model. If there is to be a hybrid Ridgeline for 2020, it is likely to launch after a delay as well.
And probably with reduce tow ratings, etc.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has custom ordered an RL and what their experience was in this process. I am waiting for the 2020 as mentioned in my early posts and I what a specific color combination and possibly a Honda website listed option.
You can't "custom order" a Ridgeline. What you see on the Honda website is what's possibly available. What is actually available to you depends on what your dealer has in stock, what they are willing to bring in from another dealer, trade allocation with another dealer prior to delivery, or your propensity to actually shop at other dealers.

FWIW, the other mfrs are slowly following Honda's lead. IOW, when you go to custom-order a Ford, GM or Ram, you can't just get any ol' combination of options like you could in the old days. More and more, those options are packaged together, and sold as various packages under various trims. Granted, they have a lot more option packages available than Honda does, but that comes with its own set of problems (most notably, trying to guess what your final payload and towing limits will be).

·
Super Moderator
12,312 Posts
Honda doesn't accept custom orders the way most other automakers do. They consider requests for specific trims and color combinations through the APEX (Allocation Preferencing and EXchange) system. Dealers receive what Honda decides to send based on historic and projected sales. If a Honda dealer accepts a custom order from a customer, they are simply communicating their preference for that particular vehicle to Honda and hoping it gets built and received before the customer's patience runs out. Honda builds batches of identical vehicles and decides which dealers will receive them - they don't build to order.

EDIT: @longboat beat me by seconds. :)

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Honda doesn't accept custom orders the way most other automakers do. They consider requests for specific trims and color combinations through the APEX (Allocation Preferencing and EXchange) system. Dealers receive what Honda decides to send based on historic and projected sales. If a Honda dealer accepts a custom order from a customer, they are simply communicating their preference for that particular vehicle and hoping that Honda decides to build it and they receive it before the customer's patience runs out. Honda builds batches of identical vehicles and decides which dealers will receive them - they don't build to order.

EDIT: @longboat beat me by seconds. :)
Yeah, but yours is more accurate! ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Asked a couple weeks ago whether the dealer could get us a blue RTL, and they responded that "there's one being manufactured in mid October that will be coming to us", which might anecdotally align with what you learned about the model/color distribution.
Yes, that is the next step. Dealers know what the manufacturer is planning on building in general. Then once Honda builds them (or has it on a schedule), they assign (allocate) the specific vehicles to a specific dealer. The dealer then gets an allocation report and can tell you they have been allocated a blue RL.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the info on "custom orders". My last car was a custom order BMW 5 and it was built to my selection of dozens of options. The factory in Germany even emailed me with updates on where it was in the assemble process, ie. "Today your car has entered the paint booth". I could even track the ship that brought the car to the west coast of California. Again thanks for the feedback. I thought it was possible to order with the build choices on Honda's website, but that's not the case ; )

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Thanks for the info on "custom orders". My last car was a custom order BMW 5 and it was built to my selection of dozens of options. The factory in Germany even emailed me with updates on where it was in the assemble process, ie. "Today your car has entered the paint booth". I could even track the ship that brought the car to the west coast of California. Again thanks for the feedback. I thought it was possible to order with the build choices on Honda's website, but that's not the case ; )
The best you can do with Honda is to pick out what you like on the website with the "build and price" tool, and then ask your dealer if they can get you that particular trim. If you want to save money or you're in a hurry, you "may" have to settle for a different trim or color that's already in stock.

Your experience with BMW may be typical of higher-end mfrs, luxury mfrs and boutique mfrs. However, the bulk of the mfrs are, IMO, looking to consolidate trim and option packages as the market continues to get squeezed. Honda just happened to have that business model figured out long ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wonder if Honda will release the 2020’s in March, like the did with the 19’s, or if it will be next fall. Anyone hear anything yet?
I wonder if Honda will release the 2020’s in March, like the did with the 19’s, or if it will be next fall. Anyone hear anything yet?
you should wait for the 2025 model - I heard it will have wider rear door openings ;) and a volume knob
you should wait for the 2025 model - I heard it will have wider rear door openings ;) and a volume knob
From the Japanese Honda site it talks about Hybred system coming out next year, with possible engine changes *Type R", They mention new infotainment, and trim models at the end of this year.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
From the Japanese Honda site it talks about Hybred system coming out next year, with possible engine changes *Type R", They mention new infotainment, and trim models at the end of this year.
I didn't think Honda Japan had any interest in the Ridgeline, other tan it being a small moneymaker in the US/Canada.

1581 - 1598 of 1598 Posts