Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gee, I was looking so forward to the 2020. I have a 2018 RT-L and also bought two 2019 Passport Elites. So, my expectations were that the 2020 would AT LEAST have the upgrades we found in the Passports. No such luck. WHY? We have owned the Ridgeline and Passports as well as a 2018 Pilot Elite largely because of the near total similarity in the cabin and frame. Anybody know what Honda is doing to get their Rideline up to standard???

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
33 Posts
Gee, I was looking so forward to the 2020. I have a 2018 RT-L and also bought two 2019 Passport Elites. So, my expectations were that the 2020 would AT LEAST have the upgrades we found in the Passports. No such luck. WHY? We have owned the Ridgeline and Passports as well as a 2018 Pilot Elite largely because of the near total similarity in the cabin and frame. Anybody know what Honda is doing to get their Rideline up to standard???
What upgrades (for those of us unfamiliar with Passports)??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the steering wheel was redesigned for better ergonomics and more practical grouping of controls. The side mirrors have a retractable feature inside the cabin. Placement of garage door features on the rear view mirror. The radio has a darn volume control. The rear doors open much greater for access. Etc Etc.

·
Administrator
15,248 Posts
Instrument cluster. The Passport uses a larger color display that includes a bar graph tachometer instead of a mechanical version. I'm not a fan - to me, it looks somewhat "Fisher Price".

Steering wheel. The shape and button layout is different. I like the shape of the Passport's steering wheel, but I prefer the softer button feel of the Ridgeline.

The audio-navigation system has different graphics and a volume knob. It's also updatable via USB which is good because it's had more problems than the older system still used in the Ridgeline.

The Canadian Ridgeline gets power folding mirrors, but the US version doesn't.

The HomeLink buttons are on the mirror instead of the overhead console. I have them on my Miata's mirror and find that I prefer them on my Ridgeline's overhead console.

Honda increased the rear door opening angle on the Ridgeline for 2020 through the use of new door checkers and hinges. Nothing can be done about the size of the opening itself - that's limited by the design of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Our 2019 had the B16 Maintenance Minder pop up so we dropped by the dealer to make an appointment. While there we went ahead and checked out the two 2020's RTL-E's on the lot and we are really glad that we did. It just reassured us by confirming that we had done the right thing when we purchased our 2019 RTL. :D

Bill

·
Administrator
15,248 Posts
Our 2019 had the B16 Maintenance Minder pop up so we dropped by the dealer to make an appointment. While there we went ahead and checked out the two 2020's RTL-E's on the lot and we are really glad that we did. It just reassured us by confirming that we had done the right thing when we purchased our 2019 RTL. :D

Bill
What do you not like about the 2020?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What do you not like about the 2020?
There was really nothing that we can go so far as to say that we "disliked" about them, but remember that we started out looking at the basic Sport, because it really had everything that we really wanted at a price we could live with. Had these on the lot now been our choices back a year ago, we would have glanced at that sticker and would have just continued walking.
Bill

·
Registered
188 Posts
There was really nothing that we can go so far as to say that we "disliked" about them, but remember that we started out looking at the basic Sport, because it really had everything that we really wanted at a price we could live with. Had these on the lot now been our choices back a year ago, we would have glanced at that sticker and would have just continued walking.
Bill
I bought the Sport AWD because basically all I wanted was AWD, push button start, remote start, and no safety nannies. The Sport gave me everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. I don't like leather seats, I don't use a sunroof, and I am so OCD that I hate fingerprints all over a touch screen radio.

I do wish the head unit had Siri Hands Free. That's the only thing I really don't like. I have to use Siri on my phone to dial the number then switch to handsfree. Yes, I have set up some "speed dials" with voice command, but I have like 400 contacts...I'm not doing that for all of them.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
In reality it was the RT that actually caught our eye initially being under $30,000, but then we found that they were rarer than hen's teeth, so decided to live dangerously and give the Sport a look. After pricing every Sport within a 200 mile radius we dropped into our local dealer to get a "hands-on" look at the Ridgeline. Well, we liked what we found but they did not have a Sport on the lot. Oh well, walking out the dealer offered us an RTL for less than any of the other dealers were asking for their Sports, we bit. If the RT had not been an option at the time at under $30,000, we would have quit looking right then and there.

Bill

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
30 Posts
You Canadians with your ventilated front seats (I would love this in Texas summer), heated outboard rear seats and rear zone climate controls (Daughter would love these in wintertime), and folding mirrors (not sure if I need them, but top trims of the full-size pickups seem to have these options too, so why not keep up ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I should mention a few annoyances but they are not a deal breaker.
Honda Canada only imports the AWD version, I only wanted FWD so I had to settle there. However, the upside is that I am getting 28-31 MPG highway mileage. That’s terrific.

I can change most unit values to MPH instead of kms, but it won’t let me change the outside temp reading. So I see that horrible metric system celsius temperature. Appalling!

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
487 Posts
I should mention a few annoyances but they are not a deal breaker.
Honda Canada only imports the AWD version, I only wanted FWD so I had to settle there. However, the upside is that I am getting 28-31 MPG highway mileage. That’s terrific.

I can change most unit values to MPH instead of kms, but it won’t let me change the outside temp reading. So I see that horrible metric system celsius temperature. Appalling!
You DIDN'T want AWD in Canada???
PREPOSTEROUS!
😜

·
Registered
20 Posts
Years ago Honda pioneered 4 wheel steering in a car that was supposed to revolutionize the industry. It was a total failure. However, the industry, especially Stupidaroo (Subaru) began to promote their gimmick to try & convince buyers that AWD was great. And every car should have it. Trucks have had 4X4 for years but most owners only used 2WD. FWD is king today.

Sure, I run snow tires on my FWD vehicles in the winter, but I will not put snow tires on my RL. AWD is over-rated & mostly unnecessary. Repairs & parts are times 4 instead of 2, plus extra transfer cases & the associated hardware.

The only way I got past the AWD gimmick is that Honda designed & built their system to be superior & long lasting. Have you seen my front rotors?

·
Administrator
15,248 Posts
Years ago Honda pioneered 4 wheel steering in a car that was supposed to revolutionize the industry. It was a total failure.
Actually, that award goes to Nissan who beat Honda to market with four-wheel steering by a year in the Skyline. :) Honda still uses four-wheel steering on the TLX and RLX today.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Actually, that award goes to Nissan who beat Honda to market with four-wheel steering by a year in the Skyline. :) Honda still uses four-wheel steering on the TLX and RLX today.
We need a G3 with 4WS - that would be a real engineering coup for Honda....first mid-size truck with 4WS....maybe on a hybrid....30' turning radius. 😁

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
487 Posts
I strongly disagree that AWD is a gimmick. It is much much safer, and much more likely to get you home in slippery conditions. With the computerized systems these days it is difficult to spin out on slick roads even if you are trying to. I take all my vehicles to empty parking lots on snowy days just to learn how they will handle in extreme conditions, and I am amazed at how well they will stay straight and in control even when slamming brakes and cranking the wheel.
They are world's better than 2wd systems and even standard truck 4wd. I base my opinion on my experience with Ford, Infiniti, Honda, and Mercedes awd systems vs various 2wd and Ford and Chevy truck 4wd systems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts