Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do y'all think of the new push button gear selector in the 2020? I'm not sure I like it. Sure would take some getting used to.

shifter.jpg

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,732 Posts
Having lived through manual / auto stick on the steering column, manual / auto stick on the floor, and push-button on the left side of the dash ('58 Dodge / Chrysler) ….. I've no doubt whatsoever it'll come to be second-nature to owners.

Novelty, gimmick, good idea, bad idea, whatever ….. not sure I see the particular benefit since it takes about the same 'console real-estate' as the stick (granted it does give a clearer shot to the cupholders …. just don't spill any liquid on 'em seems to be the caveat from others with that unfortunate experience o_O :cry: ).

It wouldn't be a make-or-break for any vehicle I wanted otherwise.

YMMV of course :)

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
222 Posts
I imagine I would get used to it. I think it would be better if they reclaimed some space instead of the current format. I think my favorite so far is what I had on my old Tundra. Lever on the steering column. Buttons out of the way and easy to access without looking would probably be similarly functional for me.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I started driving with transmission buttons on the left corner of the dash in my Chryslers and in the middle of the dash in my Mom's Chrysler. Unless it's a manual sticks have always seemed dumb to me. Wherever they were located.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think there is tool that you can use to manually put the transmission in neutral. Not very convenient. I keep a capacitor based jumpstart box in my toolkit. I'd probably just jumpstart it with that if needed rather than try to push it somewhere or something.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Column-mounted lever is probably the most efficient and space-saving, but I'm sure the market said it was old-fashioned and may now confuse people given the other 2-3 stalks on the column...

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,732 Posts
Column-mounted lever is probably the most efficient and space-saving, but I'm sure the market said it was old-fashioned and may now confuse people given the other 2-3 stalks on the column...
Can't for the life of me remember what car, but I just know I've seen a pic of one that had a stalk-mounted push-button shifter on the steering column (?). A 'box' with several buttons just outside the steering wheel rim (?).

Aged memory is a b...… :unsure:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I believe you are thinking of a Cord and it's pre-selecter on a stalk by the steering wheel. You put the little art-deco knob in the slot for the next gear (it's a manual) and (I'm guessing) depress the clutch and lift the accelerator it shifts "automatically".

·
Banned
7 Posts
I've had two cars with push buttons (09 Toy. Venza, wife's Lincoln MKX). The Toyota I got used to, the Lincoln, not so much. It is slow- and I have to look down to hit the right button. Bought a 2019 Ridgeline partly because I did NOT want buttons to shift, but I sure DID want a volume knob on the radio. BTW- I am a curmudgeon, and an old fuddy duddy, I still do not use cruise control much at all (never in that damn Lincoln). I really REALLY did not want a lane departure/ automatic interval cruise thingy/ emergency braking.

Hope the Honda lasts me the rest of my life- next time, I have no idea what they will be pushing on me.

And for the record, I really wanted a car that used a KEY instead of a damn remote.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That’s one of the things I liked about my G1 - the column-mounted shift lever - takes up virtually no space there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I’m waiting for a joystick!

·
Administrator
14,992 Posts
Did they do also do away with the pedal ebrake?
No - the 2020 Ridgeline has the same mechanical parking brake as before.

I always wonder how could you put the car in neutral if your battery is dead?
You attach a $262 lock release (Honda part number 07AAA-TZ3A100) to the transmission and turn the bolt head counterclockwise to release the park lock.

Our small dog already inadvertently changes AWD drive modes walking around the console area. I wondered if he could change gears w the new set up ?
I'd be more concerned about the safety of the dog, myself, and others.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts