Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having continued issues with a leaking moonroof. After multiple visits to my local Honda service department, they eventually replaced the entire moonroof unit. Even after this it continues to leak, but the regional engineer indicates it is operating as designed. The Ridgeline is garage kept and not driven much so it took me a while to first discover this issue. After a rain storm in the hot Florida summer (Ridgeline was parked outside with no one in the vehicle) the windshield was so fogged up that it took a while for the defrost to eliminate the condensation - this was my first clue that I had a moisture problem. The current state is that a medium to heavy rain will cause water to drip in from the moonroof. The water does not drip onto the seats, but puddles up and stays on the headliner “slide”. The Honda engineer indicates the moonroof is working as designed (allows some water to enter), but I find it hard to believe that it’s ok to watch water actually drip in through the moonroof. I even have a video of the dripping and also a video of it coming in when I use my home water hose (no nozzle or added pressure). I’d like to know if other 2020 Ridgeline RTL owners have had issues with moonroof “moisture” or outright leaks. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,867 Posts
Nonsense. No water should be leaking into the cab. They need to do some more work!
My 14 Sport (GenI) has no moon roof but had a leak in the rain gutter seam (which is where two body panels are welded together and seam sealer is applied to seal) due to sloppy seam sealer installation. I would imagine that if you had a leak at the same seam that water could appear to be dripping from your moonroof even though its getting in elsewhere. . . .Not saying that this is what is wrong but it might be food for thought.
Take it up a level with the dealer / Honda and don't accept their nonsense about "working as designed."

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sounds like the are washing there hands of the problem. I would go to another dealer and see what they would do, if anything.You might have to do a lemon law buyback so keep all paperwork and a complete log on your truck with pictures.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
A question mostly out of curiosity where you say that the water drips on the sun-shade when it is closed, but not into the vehicle itself when the shade is open, do I understand this correctly? Which makes me curious if for some reason a higher humidity level is creating condensation onto the glass of the moon roof when the shade is closed causing the dripping? Does that make sense?

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the sun shade open, water drips into and puddles up in the sunshade ’trough’. The ‘trough’ is located where the sunshade handle is and runs the width of the sunshade. So when the sunshade is open, it’s the part that sits directly below the moonroof opening. I’ve actually videoed this dripping during rain, but the service department says the engineer says this is working as designed. As long as it doesn’t come into the cab, which I’m interpreting to mean onto the seats, they are saying this is ok. But you all seem to agree that this doesn’t seem right. I’ve tried the customer service number but they have basically sent me back to the service dept at my local dealership.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You haven't mentioned the sunroof drains. Could that be the problem? They are clogged?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
OK, this may be my own misinterpretation, but my understanding is that the sunroof may not be sealed water-tight, where water will enter the sun roof along the outside rail, thus the reason there are drains.........................

Bill

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
584 Posts
If your talking about water getting onto the black pan that surrounds the sun roof, that is normal. The sunroof seal is not 100% water proof. Drips are normal, a steady stream is not normal. The pan is designed to catch the drips that get past the sunroof seal. There are drains in the 4 corners of the sun roof pan. Open the sunroof and look at the front corners. You should be able to see the drains. Get a cup of water and pour into the pan. The water should drain and you should immediately see water exit the vehicle behind the front wheels. Same with back drains except the water will exit between the cab and bed. If you don’t see water exit then the drain is clogged or, worse, disconnected and draining into the cabin. Condensation on the windows is not normal and is not caused by this dripping into the sunroof pan unless the drains are leaking into the car. Check for wet carpeting, there been a few reports of water intrusion with the 2G RLs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ran my 2020 BE through an automatic touchless carwash and had the shade open but glass closed. We noticed some drips coming in but that was high pressure spraying on the seal so I expected that. I'll have to keep an eye on it though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The water is dripping directly onto and puddling on the sunshade ”trough”. I doesn’t seem to be making it to the outside pan, unless the sunshade trough is considered part of the pan. See the attached picture that shows an example of where the drips are happening. (Hopefully you cab see the drip, its the shiny dot). This was taken by turning around in the seat and facing the rear. The drips are happening all along that seam. I have not noticed any wet carpet and I’m not aware of the drains being an issue.
Grille Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Grey

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
584 Posts
It’s hard to tell from your pic but that appears to be normal. The carpeting tends to soak up a lot of moisture before it’s obviously wet. On the front passenger floor, check under the flap that covers the chassis number. For the rear carpet, the door sills need to be pulled and the carpet pulled back to get access under the carpet. If your windows are fogging up, there is moisture in the cabin. The sun roof drips are not the cause of the fogging windows. (Assuming the drains are functioning correctly)

Reactions: ROBSRTL

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I have never had any of my sunroofs leak. I would not accept the “it is operating as it should“ crap from the service department. You need to start documenting with notes and pictures and read the “lemon law” booklet that came in the manual case. Over long term, water leaking in this area could become a bigger problem.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I myself have owned three cars with sunroofs. Still own two of them have yet to have any kind of sunroof leak.

I did work at a Honda dealer for thirty years and only remember a couple of reasons. The drain tubes were clogged, the sunroof supports were bent and the seal around the glass had been cut/torn.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My 1981 Buick Regal had glass T-Tops that leaked from the day I bought the car. I took it back to the dealer 13 times in the first year while under warranty. Each of these visits were at least overnight has they had to let sealant dry. Worse, I never drove the car in the winter so this 13 times was probably over more like six months.

After about the fifth time I got some water and followed it. It seemed to me the water was getting in between the outside side trim and the glass. Impossible was the response of the service department. That trim is just cosmetic.

The day after the 12 month warranty ran out I got a tube of black silicone and ran a bead along the glass where it meets the trim. I never had any water intrusion again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.