Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2020 RTL-E and have been trying to decide on a hard folding lockable bed cover like the BAK FLIP MX4. I’ve watched a number of installation videos. They all show installations using rail clips to attach the rails to the bed. My RTL-E has a bed liner making the bed rails inaccessible. I must be missing something and would appreciate information from anyone who has installed this type cover on their truck. Thanks in advance....

Ed in North Myrtle Beach, SC

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Your truck does not have a bedliner. Like all Ridgelines, it has a composite bed, which is a good thing. It does not have conventional truck bed rails, which is a bad thing.

Most tonneau covers, including the BakFlip, available for the Ridgeline utilize rails that attach to the anchor points along the bed wall. These come with the tonneau cover.

Covers that don't require rails are the Honda oem cover, the Undercover one-piece, and maybe the Diamondback(?).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently purchased a 2020 RTL-E and have been trying to decide on a hard folding lockable bed cover like the BAK FLIP MX4. I’ve watched a number of installation videos. They all show installations using rail clips to attach the rails to the bed. My RTL-E has a bed liner making the bed rails inaccessible. I must be missing something and would appreciate information from anyone who has installed this type cover on their truck. Thanks in advance....

Ed in North Myrtle Beach, SC
Your truck does not have a bedliner. Like all Ridgelines, it has a composite bed, which is a good thing. It does not have conventional truck bed rails, which is a bad thing.

Most tonneau covers, including the BakFlip, available for the Ridgeline utilize rails that attach to the anchor points along the bed wall. These come with the tonneau cover.

Covers that don't require rails are the Honda oem cover, the Undercover one-piece, and maybe the Diamondback(?).

It appears the OEM cover is my best option. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
The early Honda covers had a propensity to leak quite a bit, as well as cause indentations on themselves after being left open for a while. We haven't seen as many complaints about these issues lately, so the newer ones may be better.

Be aware that the Honda cover is made by a third party. There is nothing special about it other than it forces other third-party folding tonneau mfrs to add rails to the truck. The rails still allow the trunk to open around 75-80% in most cases, and no one has complained about ease of getting into the trunk with rails installed.

If water-tightness is important to you, you might research a little further. See @phineas posts - he's done a lot of homework on tonneaus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the Honda OEM cover and you are correct. It does leak and not only at the depressions at the front of the rails. Actually, the design is such that it leaks at the two joints where it folds. Not so bad if it leaked only at the edge near the rails. It can leak anywhere across the width of the bed. It’s pretty much designed to leak. It looks nice and is secure but otherwise guaranteed to get stuff in the bed wet. Recommendation: don’t waste your money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought the OEM cover as well for my 2020 RTL-E
I have had it since last day in February.
It has been in some serious rain since then.
I have noticed it leaked once and that was just a little bit at that. Not exactly a sieve.
So far I have been happy with it.
Installation issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My cover was dealer installed. It is part number 08Z07-T6Z-102. Is this the same cover you have? From the installation instructions it’s a fairly simple process. The instructions state clearly it’s not waterproof. Was yours dealer installed? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I‘d also say you might want to look closely at your cover. I’ve had my OEM cover on for 8 months - simple install, did it myself - and not water proof but almost. If it’s leaking badly you might even ask the dealer to check it. Sounds like something might be wrong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just also noticed your part number doesn’t seem to be the most recent part number. The last digits now look like 100F released in November ‘19. Not sure which I have. That’s exactly when I purchased mine. Doubt it would make that much difference. I believe the change was for an improved latch.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My cover was dealer installed. It is part number 08Z07-T6Z-102. Is this the same cover you have? From the installation instructions it’s a fairly simple process. The instructions state clearly it’s not waterproof. Was yours dealer installed? Thanks for the reply.
It was dealer installed.
When I get the time to dig into my file on the RL I will look at the part # and post.
I have been very happy with this dealer by the way. I bought the Ceramic coating and the bed cover both installed/applied at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,873 Posts
Folks, it takes a while for the troubles with the Honda tonneau to begin. And some units are more problematic than others. But MANY people have had these issues. @Husky1000 described the problems you might encounter very well. My experiences match his.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
392 Posts
Adding the BAK rails to the Ridge takes no time at all to install. The only downside is you lose the top tie downs.
I have the BAK Revolver X4
Not sure what hesitation was for or the quick turnaround to go with OEM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts