Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Geo Pro a month after the Ridgeline (two months ago) and towing it was very "giggly" on my first two trips. No sway or anything but the truck just felt like it had jitters above 50 mph and specially at 60.
I just switched the tires out to Michelin Defenders and wow it made all the difference in the world, no more jiggles!! Took it to 70 just to test and the jiggles are gone!
I have weighed my gear and have a Blue Ox Sway Pro weight distribution hitch.
Truck - with me and full tank of gas - 4680 lbs
Trailer with 37 gallons of water, LP, batteries, some food etc. - 4060 lbs. so a combined weight of 8740 and the Ridgeline GCWR is 9986 so room to spare.
Just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else had the jiggles down the road!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Could it have been possible that the original tries were simply unbalanced?

Nice little trailer!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I switched out the OEM Firestones for Michelin Defenders at about 2k miles on my 2020. I agree with sledz regarding sidewall flex on the Firestones. The truck now seems more precise when cornering, making the Ridge feel more "planted". I had Defenders on my '13 RTL, and never had an issue with them. Ever since the Ford Explorer fiasco, I've not been a fan of Firestone tires.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD (Silver)
20 Posts
I switched out the OEM Firestones for Michelin Defenders at about 2k miles on my 2020. I agree with sledz regarding sidewall flex on the Firestones. The truck now seems more precise when cornering, making the Ridge feel more "planted". I had Defenders on my '13 RTL, and never had an issue with them. Ever since the Ford Explorer fiasco, I've not been a fan of Firestone tires.
FYI,
A set of Michelins was installed on my previously owned new 2018 F150 SupperCrew . Must agree that the ride on the Michelins was impressive. Probably will consider swapping out the Firestones for a set of Michelins. Also, wondering what potential impact there will be on the overall gas mileage (MPG).

·
Registered
200 Posts
I purchased Michelin Defenders in November, buy 3 get 1 free. Money well spent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with original tire size 245/60's but am going to call and ask if I can swap out to 265's since it appears from the forum they will fit. Yes, just swapping out the original P rated Firestone's made a big difference towing without it wiggling. I believe the Defenders are C rated. I looked for E rated but could not find any but I am sure the ride and noise would defeat why I bought the Ridgeline.
Just like Tarpoonbeach says you can feel the difference in just regular driving with the better firmness especially when cornering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So they were able to swap my 245's with 265's Ill have to double check my hitch because I could instantly tell the truck was higher. I'm camping this week so will see how these do and reply.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,398 Posts
You’ll just be about a half inch higher, so no big deal. I did the same and got rid of the LE’s at 1300 miles. Just didn’t like the way they felt-jiggly is a good word choice. Plus they broadcast bumps in the road far too much, especially tar strips. I went with Hankook 265/60 and that’s about as big as I could go. Don’t like the extra unsprung weight, so at some point I may move to a 255/60 and save about 4 pounds per wheel. Other than that, love the sure footedness, especially towing our Riverside Retro 189R. Paddle shifters are terrific for towing as I could keep the rig in either 5th or 6th most of the time

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought the Geo Pro a month after the Ridgeline (two months ago) and towing it was very "giggly" on my first two trips. No sway or anything but the truck just felt like it had jitters above 50 mph and specially at 60.
I just switched the tires out to Michelin Defenders and wow it made all the difference in the world, no more jiggles!! Took it to 70 just to test and the jiggles are gone!
I have weighed my gear and have a Blue Ox Sway Pro weight distribution hitch.
Truck - with me and full tank of gas - 4680 lbs
Trailer with 37 gallons of water, LP, batteries, some food etc. - 4060 lbs. so a combined weight of 8740 and the Ridgeline GCWR is 9986 so room to spare.
Just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else had the jiggles down the road!

View attachment 405569
You did the right thing in going with a single axle trailer. Way too many people with the smaller trucks like Honda's think it is ok to pull around a two axle trailer. Never push the limit of a truck, especially the Ridgeline, it was not designed to be a heavy workhorse. It is a light duty truck, and I do mean light duty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sledz, can you tell me which model of Geo Pro you bought? I have a 2019 Ridgeline and didn't know I could tow a trailer like that.

·
Registered
574 Posts
So they were able to swap my 245's with 265's Ill have to double check my hitch because I could instantly tell the truck was higher. I'm camping this week so will see how these do and reply.
Your registered speed reading will not be accurate

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right, my speed will be a shade higher than the spedo. 60 actually 61.8 and 70 actually 72.1

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,398 Posts
You did the right thing in going with a single axle trailer. Way too many people with the smaller trucks like Honda's think it is ok to pull around a two axle trailer. Never push the limit of a truck, especially the Ridgeline, it was not designed to be a heavy workhorse. It is a light duty truck, and I do mean light duty.
I pull a double axle trailer just about the same weight and it tows beautifully. It’s about the weight, not the axles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts