Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped off my 8 month Honda Ridgeline I purchased new and is still under bumper-to-bumper warranty, at the Honda dealership September 7th for the water leak problem. There was humidity in the cab after it rains and I found the padding under the rear seat soaked.

After 3 weeks in the shop, I got a call the truck was ready. I went to pick it up and it had been raining, and indeed the padding under the rear carpet was soaked. The leak was not repaired and the replacement carpet was torn. In this sense, the truck was literally in WORSE condition than when I dropped it off. I left the dealership again in my loaner and the truck was headed back to the body shop the dealer uses.

The only updates I have received since is that the truck still leaks and they cannot find the leak. Honda customer service has been useless. All they do is take down my request for clarity and an end to this and assure me my case manager will call me back. I never get a call back and have not once spoken to the case manager, they refuse to let me wait on hold or provide the case managers extension. I have zero idea what if anything Honda will do in the case they cannot fix my truck, which appears increasingly likely.

If anyone has recent experience with a similar matter, I am all ears. In the meantime, I have a truck payment, but no truck. I do not know where it is located, what the status is, if it can be fixed, any estimate of the timeline, or any notion if Honda will purchase or replace the vehicle if they fail to fix it.

Complicating matters re;lemon laws is that it was purchased in one state, but I now reside in another where it currently is registered.

Honda customer service won't tell me anything, won't return my calls. Is there ANY hope of a resolution? What can be expected of or demanded of Honda?

·
Registered
2021 RTL Pewter
77 Posts
If they can’t find the leak they are idiots. Have you shared all the threads and videos and such from here? Have them strip it down and do the leak tests. Hold their hand if you have to.

Reactions: Pex15

·
Registered
2020 Sport
137 Posts
OP is your warranty "locked in" to a :"Honda only"shop?

I would think that you could look into that and if you are not "bound" by a "Honda Shop" talk to a body shop and see if any do warranty work? If they tell them your concerns and what you would like to get done.

According to many of the videos you need to take off the rear seat, inner fender well and if you want to go further have them take out the bed liner and seal the holes in the bed.

It might be worth a shot..

Then again it might cost you out of pocket too and if so find out how much.
It may be in your best interest to pursue that route.

I bought mine used w/17K on the clock and thus far have not seen evidence of leakage, but I believe that I have what's left from Honda of their warranty and then I purchased an after market 8 year or 80K on the clock warranty.
I would not hesitate to find a body shop if I see leakage provided that they can do and are set up for warranty work

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Look at the Lemon Law booklet in the Glove Box - Required by Federal Law since 1988.

You might have a Lemon Law claim. Varies by state. The exception is if parts are on order and cannot be delivered - those days do not count for the day count to required Lemon Law.

Reactions: Pex15

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I would definitely look at the “Lemon Law” as it was made specifically for things like this.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,031 Posts
The "lemon law" is not as easy as slicing lemons. I would see how much Carvana will offer you for the vehicle and unload it, or trade it in on another vehicle. There are some nice options hitting the market. So sorry to hear about the water leak, but even more disheartening is the way Honda seemingly ignores your requests for information and updates.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
Complicating matters re;lemon laws is that it was purchased in one state, but I now reside in another where it currently is registered.
That shouldn't complicate things - the lemon law in the state where the vehicle is currently registered should apply. What state is that?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
The "lemon law" is not as easy as slicing lemons. I would see how much Carvana will offer you for the vehicle and unload it, or trade it in on another vehicle. There are some nice options hitting the market. So sorry to hear about the water leak, but even more disheartening is the way Honda seemingly ignores your requests for information and updates.
While I agree the using the Lemon Law is not a cake walk, if you follow all the steps the dealer will treat to vehicle own differently. I helped one of my employees go thru the process and the dealer refunded nearly all the owners money.

most if not all should have got a pamphlet in their case with the manuals that describes the whole process. Just make sure you follow the steps and let the dealer know what you plan to do. Keep notes on every conversation with the dealer.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
I don't remember ever seeing a "lemon law" brochure in any of the dozens of new vehicles I've purchased in Texas, Louisiana, or Arkansas. I do recall seeing sections in the owner's manuals or a separate document about the NCDS.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I don't remember ever seeing a "lemon law" brochure in any of the dozens of new vehicles I've purchased in Texas, Louisiana, or Arkansas. I do recall seeing sections in the owner's manuals or a separate document about the NCDS.
might be a state thing but every vehicle I have bought had the pamphlet in the plastic case with the manuals.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
might be a state thing but every vehicle I have bought had the pamphlet in the plastic case with the manuals.
I would think it would nearly have to be since I doubt Honda would include state-specific literature from the factory depending on where the vehicle ships.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would sell it and be done. Your not going to be able to lemon law or get a buyback for a leak. Or they may get it fixed and you will be good.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I would sell it and be done. Your not going to be able to lemon law or get a buyback for a leak. Or they may get it fixed and you will be good.
This is exactly what the lemon law is supposedly to do. If you read the pamphlet you would understand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is exactly what the lemon law is supposedly to do. If you read the pamphlet you would understand.
Good luck with your truck. Go ahead and try to pursue all options. I'm afraid you will run into a dead end. If you have never been in a situation like this you are going to learn just how much Honda or the dealership really care about taking care of the customer. You are caught in the middle and getting screwed.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Good luck with your truck. Go ahead and try to pursue all options. I'm afraid you will run into a dead end. If you have never been in a situation like this you are going to learn just how much Honda or the dealership really care about taking care of the customer. You are caught in the middle and getting screwed.
‘The lemon law has nothing to do with vehicle brands. All brand are treated equally. It is not the dealer who decides if the vehicle should fall under the lemon laws, it is the state.

Hve you read a lemon law pamphlet. . . . sure does not sound like it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
‘The lemon law has nothing to do with vehicle brands. All brand are treated equally. It is not the dealer who decides if the vehicle should fall under the lemon laws, it is the state.

Hve you read a lemon law pamphlet. . . . sure does not sound like it.
I know the lemon law in Alabama like the back of my hand. I said good luck and to pursue all options. That is about all I have to offer. Having a new vehicle that you are having issues with is a stressful situation, I've been there more then once.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
Lemon laws vary by state. In many states, the defect has to be safety related or one that "substantially impairs the use of the vehicle". It might challenging to quality a water leak as anything other than a nuisance like a faulty radio or air conditioner.

Lemon law should be one of the last steps in seeking a remedy.

Dealer > automaker > NCDS > lemon law > attorney

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am 60 years old and have been buying motorcycles and cars most of my adult life. I have never known a single person be successful in a lemon law case. It can happen, but very difficult. Probably have a better chance to do a buyback from the manufacture, but that is very difficult as well. Tough situation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts