Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this two weeks ago and only getting around 18.5 mpg not the 21 mpg
that I've heard and read about.

I don't drive like a crazy person so I'm not jumping on the gas pedal. I live in the
suburbs so I'm on the freeway and side roads a lot.

Note, I'm not using the econo mode to save gas because I can't stand
the slow response of the vehicle nor am I using sport mode which is kinda
fun though.

I do have the 18" wheels on the sport edition and I think the RTL doesn't come
with that but a smaller wheel because I almost bought the RTL version. So
what I heard that the larger wheels can decrease the MPG.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,332 Posts
All the GenII's come with 18" diameter wheels and the same tire size.

Many things impact fuel economy and your results seem right in the norm. As the weather gets colder fuel economy will decrease. Short trips and or stop and go driving will kill gas mileage as well.
Are you taking frequent short trips?
Is it getting cold where you are from?
Are you stopping and going a lot in your daily driving?
Has your area switched over to winter fuel blends?
It is possible that your drivetrain will improve in efficiency somewhat as it breaks in.
Also, not to burst your bubble but the trip computer exaggerates fuel economy between 6 and 10% so you may actually be getting worse mileage than you think. Hand calculate your mileage and keep track of the results.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Note, I'm not using the econo mode to save gas because I can't stand the slow response of the vehicle nor am I using sport mode which is kinda fun though.
So first off, by not using ECON mode you're already decreasing your MPG especially on highway/interstate driving, and secondly, there's no sport mode -- just ECON off.

18.5MPG sounds reasonable but there are tons of factors that go into MPG. I'm at 18.6MPG and it's city driving, but it's also city driving on long stretches so not a lot of stop and go. If I hop on the interstate and set ECON mode and cruise at 74 or under, I'll get 24-26

·
Registered
57 Posts
So first off, by not using ECON mode you're already decreasing your MPG especially on highway/interstate driving, and secondly, there's no sport mode -- just ECON off.

18.5MPG sounds reasonable but there are tons of factors that go into MPG. I'm at 18.6MPG and it's city driving, but it's also city driving on long stretches so not a lot of stop and go. If I hop on the interstate and set ECON mode and cruise at 74 or under, I'll get 24-26
OP has a ‘20. There IS a sport mode...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to try econ mode on the freeway but can't stand the lagging on the suburbs stop and go. If there is no sport mode again I have 2020 version then what is the S in the D/S button? If I press the D/S, twice it shifts to S mode and is even quicker. What year do you have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the GenII's come with 18" diameter wheels and the same tire size.

Many things impact fuel economy and your results seem right in the norm. As the weather gets colder fuel economy will decrease. Short trips and or stop and go driving will kill gas mileage as well.
Are you taking frequent short trips?
Is it getting cold where you are from?
Are you stopping and going a lot in your daily driving?
Has your area switched over to winter fuel blends?
It is possible that your drivetrain will improve in efficiency somewhat as it breaks in.
Also, not to burst your bubble but the trip computer exaggerates fuel economy between 6 and 10% so you may actually be getting worse mileage than you think. Hand calculate your mileage and keep track of the results.
I'm in Oregon so temp right now is mild 45 low high about 70. Not real short trips freeway and suburban driving. I'll have to do a manual check on the MPG. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts