Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport | DiamondBack SE x Front Runner Rack System
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I just bought a 2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport and I suspect there is something wrong with the audio system. If not, the quality is disappointing. In some songs, at some times, I have the feeling that the some frequencies goes down and becomes muffled. A bit like like when we go up or down a steep hill. Or when taking off by plane. Obviously I checked the audio settings and made sure the SVC (Speed Volume Compensation) is OFF. And I did some tests in a noise-free parking without moving just to make sure I ear the problem. Besides, I have found that when the bass and / or treble are raised, the problem is even more noticeable. The situation occurs when I listen via wired Apple CarPlay.

Here is an example where this is obvious:
NEFEX - Rumors
At 0:13, when the kick goes in, the guitar drop down significantly. If you listen this song anywhere else, the guitar stays at the same level.

Or here, MUSE - Dead Inside
Along with the kick at the beginning of the song, I hear some waves in the frequencies.

Could it be a phase reversal? As if one or more speakers had been connected by reversing the poles? I have an appointment at the dealership next week to install my roof rails and I'll definitely tell them about it. But I was wondering if I'm the only one hearing this.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The situation occurs when I listen via Airplay.
By hook or crook download your 'test songs' from a source other than Airplay / Apple Music to USB or CD and listen.

Report back with your findings.

Could it be a phase reversal? As if one or more peakers [sic] had been connected by reversing the poles?
If you do not hear the same phenomenon when the music is played from a different source then this is highly unlikely, IMO.

Note that high-quality recordings played back via USB media or CD are always the best sources for testing your system's (amp and speakers) ability to reproduce sound accurately; an original recording on CD being the best. Otherwise there's always a question about the shortcomings of various streaming or other source effects/artifacts rather than the capabilities of the amp/speakers to reproduce sounds accurately.

Reactions: Jimkin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I have a 2020 Ridgeline and I am experiencing the same issue. I took the truck in within the first month and asked the dealer to look at the issue. They said everything is fine and make sure I am using a genuine Apple cable, which was in the truck when I had it serviced. My truck has just over 2000 miles and the only time my volume changes is with Carplay, it does not happen when listening to the FM radio. I also insured that the SVC was disabled. I did call Honda tech line and spoke to a tech and they told me to disable the bluetooth on my phone since I am using Carplay.... did not change a thing.

Hope we find an answer..............

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Don’t they use some Active Noise Canceling feature as well? Can that be disabled?
OP said they did 'testing' in a non-moving (parked) vehicle. That eliminates the possibility of ANC related issues in the case of the system implemented in the RL.

Note that as implemented in the RL, ANC only acts to 'cancel' certain low-frequency 'rumble' typically associated with VCM activation - it is not a 'full spectrum noise cancelling system' as found in certain other Hondas or other vehicles.

But if you want to disable ANC that can be done only by pulling the connector at the ANC module located behind the glovebox.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There is a difference between ANC and SVC. ANC should be on all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
68 Posts
OP said they did 'testing' in a non-moving (parked) vehicle. That eliminates the possibility of ANC related issues in the case of the system implemented in the RL.

Note that as implemented in the RL, ANC only acts to 'cancel' certain low-frequency 'rumble' typically associated with VCM activation - it is not a 'full spectrum noise cancelling system' as found in certain other Hondas or other vehicles.

But if you want to disable ANC that can be done only by pulling the connector at the ANC module located behind the glovebox.
I think it can be disabled via hidden menu in the infotainment. I’m just offering that up as a suggestion to try, it appears you took part in the system design of ANC and can rule that out as his problem.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
723 Posts
Don’t they use some Active Noise Canceling feature as well? Can that be disabled?
I think it can be disabled via hidden menu in the infotainment...
it appears you took part in the system design of ANC
Centex is correct. ANC can't be disabled in settings. Only by removing the connector from the ANC module. Not sure where you got the impression that Centex designed the system from :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
For example.. I’m sure it’s different in your head unit.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yes, you can temporarily disable ANC function as a test routine via the 'hidden menu', but that resets to the default active condition upon restart of the vehicle. I agree that can have utility as a test / diagnostic routine, and yes I failed to mention that capability.

Perhaps also worth noting for 'quick testing' when parked, the ANC function is also disabled when the system receives a "....door open/close signal from the MICU. Whenever any door is opened, the ANC system temporarily stops working."

... it appears you took part in the system design of ANC ...
Getting afield from the OP's issue but FWIW there's detailed descriptions of the RL's ANC system function and operation available to anyone via Honda Service Information System [Service Express (honda.com)]. It's important to note that the RL only implements "ANC / Active Noise Cancellation", not the broader-spectrum "Next Generation Active Sound Control" which is offered in certain Hondas in addition to "ANC".

Honda SIS documentation is the source of the snippets in "quotes+italics" in this post.

·
Registered
2020 RTL Pacific Pewter
34 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport and I suspect there is something wrong with the audio system. If not, the quality is disappointing. In some songs, at some times, I have the feeling that the some frequencies goes down and becomes muffled. A bit like like when we go up or down a steep hill. Or when taking off by plane. Obviously I checked the audio settings and made sure the SVC (Speed Volume Compensation) is OFF. And I did some tests in a noise-free parking without moving just to make sure I ear the problem. Besides, I have found that when the bass and / or treble are raised, the problem is even more noticeable. The situation occurs when I listen via Airplay.

Here is an example where this is obvious:
NEFEX - Rumors
At 0:13, when the kick goes in, the guitar drop down significantly. If you listen this song anywhere else, the guitar stays at the same level.

Or here, MUSE - Dead Inside
Along with the kick at the beginning of the song, I hear some waves in the frequencies.

Could it be a phase reversal? As if one or more speakers had been connected by reversing the poles? I have an appointment at the dealership next week to install my roof rails and I'll definitely tell them about it. But I was wondering if I'm the only one hearing this.

Thanks
So I was getting the same issue in all my music using bluetooth and apple music (Oceans Ate Alaska, Dance Gavin Dance, older Coheed and Incubus). I tried every setting in apple music equalizer and I was thinking of bringing it in to the dealer to see if they could take a look. The only thing that made it acceptable to me was setting apple music to the "electronic" EQ preset, and setting the fader to be rear bias in the ridgeline. I think I only have it set to 2 or 3 bars front speaker (it was only just enough to get the highs back and at an acceptable level) so you might have to play with it to see what works for you.

When people say they stock speakers are bad, it really is an understatement. I'll be upgrading the speakers eventually, but for now adjusting the fader to be rear bias has made it listenable for me.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Phase issues can easily be tested by using both a mono test tone and a stereo test tone. Or by using the test files located on this website: Online Stereo Polarity (Phase) Sound Test

Since your problems occur at the same time in the aforementioned songs, it is more likely that your files could have a problem, or whatever source you are using could have bad files. You mentioned you are using Airplay. I don't own any Apple products, but I assume Airplay is a wireless technology, based on Bluetooth. In this case, Bluetooth adds additional compression to the already compressed files.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You mentioned you are using Airplay.
Damn I’m sorry for the confusion. I meant Apple CarPlay and NOT Airplay. I just edited the original post.

I will definetely play the « tests songs » from another source. FYI, the song was played via Apple Music and I don’t think it’s a matter of file compression since it plays nice everywhere else.

Thank you all for your recommendations and I will keep you posted on upcoming tests by tomorrow.

·
Administrator
18,528 Posts
Could it be a phase reversal? As if one or more speakers had been connected by reversing the poles
Another member reported a phase reversal in a 2021...

As I've been test driving a few 2021's. I've been in one that a speaker in the stereo was clearly wired out of phase (I'm an audio nerd, and phase issues are easy to hear). Easy fix in all likely hood, but a panel will get pulled.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
723 Posts
I think it can be disabled via hidden menu in the infotainment.
Centex is correct. ANC can't be disabled in settings.
I’m sure it’s different in your head unit.
Rudd - which specific setting are you referring to in the diagnostics menu to disable ANC? The only setting I'm aware of in the diagnostics menu is "ANC check" which allows you to test the ANC system (toggle on and off a test tone), but doesn't disable it. Which setting are you referring to?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK here’s an update. I did some tests with the same song; NEFEX - RUMORS (my son’s choice ;)).

I know this is not a test signal but the problem very obvious with this song. By the way, I know for sure that the problem occurs in other songs too.

I‘m using my iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14.4.

APPLE CARPLAY (USB wired)
The problem occurs every time and it’s obvious. I tried different cables but it doesn’t help.

BLUETOOTH
The problem is barely noticable! (Maybe not at all, or very acceptable)

LINE IN (via 1/8 cable)
There is no problem at all.

So it seems to be an issue with CarPlay. I will now look more in depth in this direction.

So I was getting the same issue in all my music using bluetooth and apple music (Oceans Ate Alaska, Dance Gavin Dance, older Coheed and Incubus). I tried every setting in apple music equalizer and I was thinking of bringing it in to the dealer to see if they could take a look. The only thing that made it acceptable to me was setting apple music to the "electronic" EQ preset, and setting the fader to be rear bias in the ridgeline. I think I only have it set to 2 or 3 bars front speaker (it was only just enough to get the highs back and at an acceptable level) so you might have to play with it to see what works for you.
HILIKUS you are right. When using APPLE CARPLAY, if I push the fader completely at the back the problem disappears. But the sound quality is terrible. Indeed, when I put one or two bars forward the problem is less present but in my opinion it remains unacceptable.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes,

I absolutely heard the same issue last week in a 2021 Sport and RTL. Particularly bass notes, and it sounded like cancelation. I suspected the ANC at first. Turned the sub up and down also, as I found in my 2019 I liked the subwoofer (aftermarket stereo) with the subwoofer reversed 180 deg (which I often do with a sub in the rear of the car). But even with the sub turned all the way down - same issue.

Heard in in the lot also while parked so that to me eliminated the ANC.

In fairness this was via bluetooth, so I did not try with a wired connection.

I drove a black edition yesterday and did not notice it all all, same songs, and tracks.

If it's a phase issue, with the harnesses used it may not be as simple as troubleshooting with swapping the inputs. Or, if it's in the DSP with the new headunit.

I think like anything the more people that report it and ask for a fix - the better chance that Honda looks at it and for a TSB...

But audio and service departments - can be a bear. I know that I'm going to look at another BE on Monday that I may buy, but the stereo is one thing I will be listening to first. I will not sign paperwork sight unseen anymore.

(the BE I test drove sounded great, but a clear cut buzzing was coming from the right front door speaker. Most likely a install issue I would have to think.

·
Registered
156 Posts
OK here’s an update. I did some tests with the same song; NEFEX - RUMORS (my son’s choice ;)).

I know this is not a test signal but the problem very obvious with this song. By the way, I know for sure that the problem occurs in other songs too.

I‘m using my iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14.4.

APPLE CARPLAY (USB wired)
The problem occurs every time and it’s obvious. I tried different cables but it doesn’t help.

BLUETOOTH
The problem is barely noticable! (Maybe not at all, or very acceptable)

LINE IN (via 1/8 cable)
There is no problem at all.

So it seems to be an issue with CarPlay. I will now look more in depth in this direction.

HILIKUS you are right. When using APPLE CARPLAY, if I push the fader completely at the back the problem disappears. But the sound quality is terrible. Indeed, when I put one or two bars forward the problem is less present but in my opinion it remains unacceptable.

If it's a carplay issue (which, is entirely possible..) that enters the fun of it also being apples problem. I use carplay in my Titan currently and zero issues.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts