Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Phase issues can easily be tested by using both a mono test tone and a stereo test tone. Or by using the test files located on this website: Online Stereo Polarity (Phase) Sound Test

Since your problems occur at the same time in the aforementioned songs, it is more likely that your files could have a problem, or whatever source you are using could have bad files. You mentioned you are using Airplay. I don't own any Apple products, but I assume Airplay is a wireless technology, based on Bluetooth. In this case, Bluetooth adds additional compression to the already compressed files.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It really sounds like a sound compression/limiter issue to me. Similar to the technology built into several Bose speaker models. This is not to be confused with digital audio compressed files. Totally different. This type of compression is designed to reduce overdriving the amp and/or speakers and creates a type of sound that resembles breathing. I have a set of Bose computer speakers that have the exact same effect as most of you are describing. Add music with zero dynamic range, that has been recorded to sound louder, as much of todays music is, the effect is even more obvious. A few have noted that reducing the volume of the input device helps, which further adds weight to my theory. Reducing the input volume (ie, your phone volume) should reduce the "breathing" effect considerably, depending on the music.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Something else to make note of, do not use any EQ on your phone. Turn all that off and only EQ from the HU. If you are bass heavy on the phone EQ, it will cause overloading for sure.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have this problem on my 2021 Ridgeline. I am an audio engineer. I hear compression. Compressors are audio processors that take the loudest peaks in the sound wave and reduce them, usually by a ratio (e.g. 8:1 compression reduces every audio signal that crosses the activation threshold by a ratio of 8 to 1). It has a quick attack and a slow release, which means that it kicks in within milliseconds of hitting the threshold and slowly releases the compression ratio back to 1:1.

This is 100% a software issue. Likely put in by Honda to protect speakers from blowing because a basic compressor will pick up low pitch frequencies more so than high pitch, thus protecting the speakers from blowing. However the compressor in this case sucks.

Honda should absolutely remove this or add a setting to disable it. I will not be renewing any lease if it requires me to listen to music like this. It’s so bad
I said pretty much the same thing about this, maybe in another thread regarding this. Thankfully I have a 2019 and was able to change out the HU to a Kenwood. This is the exact same thing that BOSE builds into their self power speakers. I have two sets of them (model number NA right now) and they seriously suck anytime there is a transient. The volume drops instantly drops and comes back slowly. I have not heard the stereo in a '21 model, but it sounds like the exact same symptoms. Reducing the bass to -3db is probably a good solution, but you will probably need to turn up your sub to compensate for the loss of bass in the mains.

Reactions: MidnightSmoke
1 - 4 of 4 Posts