Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
So i am also experiencing this with my 2021 RTL. So i know its a BT issue / android auto issue. I only use Spotify for music and my issue is at low volumes below level 12. If I'm on Bluetooth i found that if i turn the phone BT to 65ish percent the issue is significantly reduced. I think its still there slightly, but it doesn't bother me unless I really pay attention to it. For android auto its a fixed volume that cannot be adjusted on the phone. I did however find a setting in the Spotify app called volume control and I put it on quiet. I haven't done enough testing, but I sat in my driveway after changing this setting and didn't notice a significant issue. I will continue to update as i play around with settings.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So got around to replacing the front door speakers today, it only made the problem appear worse. When I say appear, it's cause the new speakers were so much more clearer that I could definitely hear the problem clearer as well. Was running some tests on it in acc mode for about 30 mins, and it seems that whenever the bass drum hit is when the sound issue occurred. I tested with a different song with a more intricate bass drum pattern and again it only happened on the bass drum hits, but not with the bass line itself.

Had to go run errands so I went inside to change, and as soon as I started the ridgeline up I had no subwoofer or front door speakers at all. Funny thing is, all bass and mids were gone, even from the rear speakers. I shouldn't have any shorts anywhere since I used an adapter harness, but I'll take it all out tomorrow and verify that both front door speakers are still good, and I'll plug the old factories back in to see if my subwoofer starts working again.

Strangest thing though, you would think even if the front speakers malfunctioned and somehow the sub did too, you would still get bass out of the rear speakers. It sounded like someone applied a flat preset, then turned the bass all the way down. Everything was functioning perfectly when I was testing in acc mode (lots of bass from both the front, rear, and sub), but as soon as I shut it off, went inside, came out, and started it back up things went south. The front door speakers don't act as a filter for the sub do they?

did you end up unplugging the ANC?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not yet, spent a few hours chasing down the gremlin with the front speakers. Seems like they changed the American International HSB524 bracket that has been recommended here in other posts, so you have to rotate some speakers in order to secure it to the bracket. Thought there was enough room between the speaker leads and the door, but there wasn't, causing a short. Temp fixed that, but when I was looking under the truck, I saw some issues from the dealer installed lift (not a problem with the lift, but more how the front bumper was put back together) so back to the dealer again to get that sorted. Will try the ANC unplug some time this weekend.
just curious, whats your build date on your truck and which plant built it? mine was 2/21 in alabama.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for linking my thread to this one, I totally missed it. (in my defense I was half asleep!)

I'm definitely having the same issue as what other are describing. The base tones sound muffled when I play music from my phone. Noticeable when using Bluetooth, VERY noticeable when using Apple Car Play. My wife's phone does the same thing. Don't know if it will do the same while listening to FM radio.
I was messing around with it today and the only thing that made the problem less noticeable was turning down the base setting as low as it goes.

My truck is a Sport trim.

My wife has had a 2019 Passport Sport for 2 years now and I just traded in my 2019 Accord, neither one had this issue.
And I will say, I am a bit disappointed in the infotainment system. I expected it to be the almost identical to the Passport or Accord. I was wrong :(
I'll get over it but I was surprised.
when using bluetooth, try turning your phone down to 50-60%. what app are you using to play music on your phone?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Glad I found this thread! I’m having the same issue with my ‘21 RTL. The first time I noticed it was when switching from Bluetooth to Apple Car play. Certain points of songs sounded like they were being attenuated. I didn’t notice it before switching from Bluetooth. I haven’t noticed it with the radio or Syrius. I hate it so many people are having the same problem. Hopefully Honda will do something. Doesn’t sound like it is super likely though.
Make sure to bring your truck in to have it looked at. If honda doesn't see enough problems then they won't do anything about it. I'm here at honda today going on record that there is an issue.

EDIT: I had the shop foreman at my dealer confirm that it is an issue. He took a video of the issue and will submit it to honda tech support.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have noticed the FM quality as well. It will be very clear, then suddenly become more muted as if the signal strength was reduced. I second the sentiment that its rather disappointing @ this year and this price point. I have other quality control issues I'm going into the dealer about today. I'll probably mention the audio as well, but I get tired of hearing "operating as normal, don't hear it, not a known issue....etc...."

Not to only dump on the negatives, I do like the truck. Just not enjoying the first month of ownership when compared to the 2018.
make sure you ask to sit with a technician to show them the issue. The issue is so bad on my truck that its easier noticeable within a few seconds of hearing it. Like Rickdee said, you can reduce the software volume on your phone and let the the RL's system overcompensate and the problem goes away which is what i'm doing for the time being, but its not a fix. You can also hear it in Sirius radio and USB.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yup, I have this issue on my 2021 Sport. It's pretty bad. Hopefully one of us finds a dealer that fixes it!
Any chance that you brought yours back to Davis? If not could you so they have it on record that 2 of their trucks they sold have the issue? I showed it to John, the shop foreman and he confirmed the issue.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's a bit of a drive from me, so I will hold tight for a bit. I did email Mark and ask him if any other customers have had this issue...
got it, maybe call service and ask to speak to john to let him know that your also having the issue. You can let him know Bryan with the white ridgeline just stopped in yesterday. so at least you'll be on record. He was supposed to talk to tech.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There does seem to be some type of ANC effect. It has the pressurized feel you get with noise canceling headphones on.
Maybe someone much bolder than I can tinker through the system diag mode to turn it off. Press the power button, menu, and brightness all at the same time. then click on detail information & setting. once here hold down menu. It's somewhere in here, i saw it last night when i was going thru the menus. I didn't dare to change anything though. Interesting enough these are android based head units. I also found out the sport/rtl units have a GPS module as the unit was reporting gps coordinates.

How to Disable the Distracted Driver Setting Secret Honda Menu! | 4K Honda Ridgeline Hack - YouTube

this was my software version

another way to test for ANC is just open your door. I will give this a try after work.

Found on the accord forums:
"The ANC also receives the output of the door open/close signal from the gauge control module. Whenever any door is opened, the ANC temporarily stops working. Each signal is sent to the active noise cancellation unit via the FCAN. "

·
Registered
268 Posts
Again, that doesn't turn off ANC - it puts it in a test mode to verify that it's working.

got it. I did just walk outside and did a 3min test on my stereo with the engine running and door open and I could not hear the issue. Closed the door and still no issue. Perhaps opening the door resets the ANC. I'll go out for a drive around lunch time and do some more testing. If I feel more positive about ANC being an issue I'll pull the glovebox and disconnect it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
had some time on my lunch break and decided to just unplug the ANC since it looked simple enough (which is is). You will need a pry tool or credit card, 10mm socket with extension and a Philips screw driver. I pried off the side cover first. Then removed the upper trim by gently starting on the right side and working inwards pulling off clip by clip. be careful not to flex this piece to much. Glove boxes removes with 4 screws along the top and two 10mm bolts (flip the glove box down). Once the glove box is removed just reach behind the ANC module and unplug the harness. I had to bend mine forward a little to get my hand behind it, but just pushed it back when i was done. I took some photos in case anyone else cares to try. After a quick listen I feel like the problem may ever so slightly still be there (or it could be crap speakers), but not as pronounced as it was before. My music genre is generally top hits (pop, rap, electronic). I will continue to update as I get more seat time with different songs, but this was certainly easy enough to try out. My voice commands still work and so does my google assistant.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
I imagine you'll notice very little downside to having it disconnected. I noticed no increase whatsoever in ambient noise as a result of disconnecting mine, which makes one wonder if at actually does anything useful.
do you still have the issue with your anc disconnected? i disconnected mine, looks like my post with photos is still pending moderator approval

·
Registered
268 Posts
I turned on "sound check" in Apple Music settings. This helped a lot. A song that was really bad before had no issues (to my ear).

Could be coincidence, but has anyone noticed it's worse when the truck is cold?
just curious what is this "sound check" supposed to do?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have improved the sound significantly, although it still is eeh at best. I have a 2020 RTL. I am using Apple Music and I turned on the sound check. I don’t know if this was suggested earlier on this thread or on another one but I recall seeing that somewhere.
anyways, my sound system actually had some bass output and didn’t have the original muffled sound that was cursing it before. Haven’t found a solution for Spotify yet but will continue playing around with that.
I am using the usb connection for CarPlay.
for spotify go into settings and change the volume setting from normal to quiet

·
Registered
268 Posts
Anybody find a work around for Android auto? Seems like absolute $hit that we as consumers have to find work arounds and they can't just fix the f-ing problem!
explain more with what's going with android auto. I use android auto with Spotify as my music app. With Spotify you can set the volume from the app on the phone and it seems to work in android auto. Anything else I'm not sure, but maybe you can find a volume app to lower down your output volume.

·
Registered
268 Posts
in case anyone needs to know, the sport and RTL have an external amp. The wiring colors seem to match up to that of a 2019 RTLE pinout diagram i found (missing things like center channel and exciters of course). From my understanding the headunit passes analog audio to the amp. Volume, balance/fader and tone controls are passed thru a rs485 interface. The amp also seems to mix voice guidance and VR audio as a separate input source. Just my going off this diagram my best guess is the problem lies in the headunit and not the amp/dsp since all music audio comes across the same analog input into the amp. I know rickdee confirmed that aux input does not have the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
That must be a change for '21 because from '17-'20 only the RTL-E and BE had external amplifiers.
my thought was all of the 8" screens have external amps. this includes the 8" on the 2020's (unsure what year honda included android auto/carplay standard)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts